Michael Schleifer - 1967-2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Schleifer - 1967-2009

Several sources have reported the recent death of IM Michael Schleifer. A call to the Montreal city morgue tonight revealed that a Michael Schleifer, aged 42 years, passed away on Nov. 21 of "unknown causes" - another source reported "brain aneurism"), and was transferred to a funeral home in nearby Longueuil.

I have not seen any death notices in the Montreal or Toronto newspapers.

Re: Michael Schleifer - 1967-2009

RIP Michael.

Comment

I am totally stunned...

Two people that I saw over the summer in Montreal and spent time chatting with are now gone. Yves Casaubon, and now Mike. Mike and I played chess and poker at Pi a couple of nights before the end of my Montreal trip in July & August. I drove him home that night around 2:00 a.m., and he seemed in good health.

This is a total shock, reminiscent of Henry Meighan and Alan Fitzsimmons... people are dying too young these days.
      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

That's a real shocker. He had to be one of the coolest of players under pressure in both poker and chess. I guess I have a few stories but may he RIP.

Comment

I have known Michael for quite some time. Bryon myself and assorted others would regularly play poker and play speed until the wee hours of the net day. The last time I had seen Michael was about a year ago and he seemed happy and content. This is quite a shock. He will be missed.

Sam

Comment

So sad. Michael was a kind hearted fellow with a brooding visage. He would come visit Robert Hamilton on occasion and I got a front row seat for their blitz matches and kibitzing. I made him laugh once and he lit up the room. I don't think he laughed often enough.

RIP comrade Schlee!

Comment

Michael always asked me to play this tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwbowi-8Yoo

Comment

I remember Mike very well from the old Toronto Chess Club glory days of the 1980s and 1990s. A strong player but very soft-spoken and a willing kibitzer to almost anyone. After he moved to Montreal he was still a very pleasant guy. RIP Michael.

Comment

After beeing held at the morque for some time, he was transfered to a funeral home in Longueuil(south shore) where he was eventually claimed by his mother. The funeral home would not tell me if he was still held there or had been transfered to Toronto.

The morgue conducted an authopsy, but no results are available yet. Apparently it could take some time, maybe up to 6 months I was told, before all the toxicology tests are done and a report is issued. That report will be made public by the authorities when ready. So there is no official cause of death identified at this moment.

Comment

I understand your curiosity Daniel, but, in the end, does it really matter what the cause was?

There was a reference on the French board to Michael's "demons". Certainly it seemed like he had his to battle.

While I never knew him well, I always found him very genial; although I never had a chat with him where I didn't open the conversation. He was taciturn and, I suspect, a little shy.

When he was awarded the IM title I had a chance to congratulate him shortly afterwards at a Montreal trmt. and his face lit right up. He seemed pleased to have it noted and was obviously proud of his achievement.

Rest in peace.

Comment

When we chatted after the Blitz in August, Michael did seem a lot more content than in prior meetings over many years. He was always very reserved about his personal life, so I didn't pry. He knew that if ever he needed help that I would be there in any way I could... for that and other things he was very grateful. It's too bad I won't ever get to see him overcome his issues.

Michael, I hope your passing was a painless one... you will live long in my memory - the memory of a true fighter, both on the chess board, and on the board of life.

By the way, when you folded that monster hand to me after the blitz in August, I had hit a set on the turn... so it was a good fold ;)
                      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

I know Bryon thought a lot of Mike and enjoyed his company.As someone noted,he was very taciturn and spoke very little of his personal life.I spent a little time with him when Bryon and I stayed with Brad.R.I.P.Michael

Comment

Very sad; way too young...

Comment

A tribute to Michael appears at:

http://www.thechessdrum.net/blog/200...fer-1967-2009/

Comment

thank you, Hugh

he was not my brother, but I wish he had been...

Comment

Working...
                              X