potential conflicting dates early next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potential conflicting dates early next year

Hi there, for a set of converging reasons, we are trying to re-schedule the next 2 EOCA events in Ottawa, and we want to try avoiding any date conflicts with large-ish events.

So, looking ahead at January-February-March, I am aware of the Canadian Post-Secondary Championships on January 15th-17th, and Hal has his next Pro-Am on the first weekend in February. I cannot seem to find the dates of the massive tournament in Trois-Rivieres, so can anyone out there tell me when that is being planned for? Finally, are there any other events that you would consider a conflict with coming to Ottawa to play that weekend?

Thanks in advance, and best regards, Aris.

Re: potential conflicting dates early next year

Hi Aris,

Last year at Hart House we had a tournament I believe the 3rd weekend of February. Kitchener did something the weekend before, they traditionally have had something in Feb, not sure if they'll do again.
    At University of Toronto we're planning to do something in February but have not set a date yet. We're probably be booking the room / space within the next 10 days though, for that.

Alex Ferreira
    Hart House Chess Club

Comment

According to the "Tour du Quebec" page, the Trois-Rivieres tournament will be held March 19-21.

The Quebec Carnival tournament (Jan. 29-31) is another possible conflict - but unless they offer a huge prize fund this year, I don't think a competing event event in (e.g.) SW Onatrio would be a factor. (the Carnival tournament attracted 300-400 entries in the mid 70's).

http://fqechecs.qc.ca/index.php?typ=...51&categorie=1

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
        Hi Aris,

Last year at Hart House we had a tournament I believe the 3rd weekend of February. Kitchener did something the weekend before, they traditionally have had something in Feb, not sure if they'll do again.
        At University of Toronto we're planning to do something in February but have not set a date yet. We're probably be booking the room / space within the next 10 days though, for that.

Alex Ferreira
        Hart House Chess Club
        Thanks Hugh and Alex for replying so quickly! :)

Now Alex, do you think it is likely that your February date will be either the 2nd or 3rd weekend, in other words, not the 1st or 4th? I'm asking because I might need to choose my dates sooner than your 10-day-timeline. If you really do not know yet, then I'll just have to wait as long as possible, as some of your players did come to Ottawa last year.

Thanks again, and best regards, Aris.

Comment

We don't want to conflict but yes we'd probably be looking at the 2nd or 3rd weekend I think.
          Go ahead and set a date for the Ottawa event, we'll work around that.
          Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
            We don't want to conflict but yes we'd probably be looking at the 2nd or 3rd weekend I think.
            Go ahead and set a date for the Ottawa event, we'll work around that.
            Alex F.
            Thanks man, I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for the RA Centre to call me back! :(

Comment

OK, I've scored some good news about the RA Winter Open: I've secured a weekend at the RA Centre that conflicts with neither the Canadian Post-Secondary Championships, nor with Hal's Pro-Am in February. I'll officially announce the RA Winter Open within the next few days, but until then, feel free to mark January 22nd-24th in your calendars. ;)

P.S. And the RA Spring Open dates have now been set, and they are March 12th-14th.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                OK, I've scored some good news about the RA Winter Open: I've secured a weekend at the RA Centre that conflicts with neither the Canadian Post-Secondary Championships, nor with Hal's Pro-Am in February. I'll officially announce the RA Winter Open within the next few days, but until then, feel free to mark January 22nd-24th in your calendars. ;)

P.S. And the RA Spring Open dates have now been set, and they are March 12th-14th.
                2010 Ontario Recreational Chess Championship
                Date: January 16th, 2010
                http://www.chess.ca/ontoronto.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  2010 Ontario Recreational Chess Championship
                  Date: January 16th, 2010
                  http://www.chess.ca/ontoronto.htm
                  Sorry, not sure why you replied that, as that would NOT conflict (not with me anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                    Sorry, not sure why you replied that, as that would NOT conflict (not with me anyway).
                    was lazy to create a new thread for 2010 winter tournaments :) Anyway, it is possible to pull that one week is a small gap between tournament dates and it creates a very big conflict :D

Take care with your bugs or whatever causes your illness.

Comment

Working...
                    X