Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Amateur Chess Championship

Hello everyone!

From March 19 - 25, 2010, the World Amateur Chess Championships will be coming to North America on the northern shores of Chicago, IL. This is the first time this event has ever been held on the North American continent! The event is open to those with a FIDE rating of 2000 or below (including if you don't have a FIDE rating!).

The event will feature a $20,000 USD prize fund, the ability to gain the titles of FM and WFM, and 2 scholarships to Texas Tech University.

For those of you that don't know me, I have been organizing FIDE title norm tournaments for the past 4 years. Canadians GM Pascal Charbonneau and WIM Yuanling Yuan scored their GM and WIM norms in my events. IM Eric Lawson and FM Raja Panjwani have also tried for their norms.

I hope to see a strong showing from Canada. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Good Chess to All,

Sevan A. Muradian, Founder
    North American Chess Association
    International Arbiter and International Organizer

http://www.worldchesschamps.com
    Last edited by Sevan Muradian; Sunday, 13th December, 2009, 10:12 PM.

Re: World Amateur Chess Championship

Thank you for posting here this event.
    Now i know one major event where players can get their FM title.
    And it is only 9 hours drive from Toronto.

More success to you!
    Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Monday, 14th December, 2009, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Pre-Registered as of Dec 15, 2009

The table below displays all individuals currently registered for the 2010 World Amateur Chess Championship.

Currently the following federations are represented:

America's – United States
      Europe – Finland, Russia, Netherlands
      Asia – Sri Lanka
      No.
      Name Federation FIDE ID FIDE Rating

1 Mikhail Strovsky Russia 24111627 1911
      2 Prashantha Amarasinghe Sri Lanka 2039320 1954
      3 Raino Soikkeli Finland 500763 1727
      4 Matt Helfst United States 2044102 Unrated
      5 Christian Zarate United States N/A Unrated
      6 Erwin Casareno Netherlands 1014420 1945

Comment

Master Erwin,

You are neither below 2000 or from the Netherlands.
        You should show the organizers your master CFC rating.
        I think you just want to go for pay day :D

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
          Master Erwin,

http://ratings.fide.com/seek.phtml?i...name=&offset=0

His FIDE rating card shows him to be 1945 and his federation to be the Netherlands.

While a player may hold a higher rating in their national chess federation, this is a FIDE event and the FIDE rules apply. He is neither over 2000 FIDE nor does he hold a FIDE title of any sort.

Players do often reside in countries different than that they represent also.

Comment

Sevan,

I was just teasing Erwin. I know he is registering by the book and all is above board. I have played a few blitz games with him otb and know he is quite strong, much stronger than a rating below 2000 would suggest. I am sure there will be a plethora of players like him at the tournament. Here is a call to all those incognito masters to come out of the woodwork and amass on the northern shores of Chicago come March :D

I would play but I am 2003 FIDE, although vastly overrated at that :o
            For example Erwin is rated over 150 points higher than me in our national rating.

Comment

Master Erwin,

Hi Hugh,

We miss you at the SCC. The club championship is close. Come back soon.

In 2009, i started to play in FIDE rated tournament and I am not familiar with the time controls. In 3 tournaments, i had bad results against FIDE rated players. I only won against CFC rated players so my FIDE rating started low and my CFC remains high. My results in the USCF is also poor. Example, i have to drive very early in the morning and play chess for the rest of the day in Buffalo. Something i need to get used to.

Regarding my federation, i resided in the Netherlands from 1997 to 2006 and played chess in the KNSB, or the Natioal competitions, 3rd class under the club Voorschoten. And to my surprise, i was registered with FIDE under The Netherlands.

Now i wanted to change federations but the procedure is quite lengthy.

As for the WOrld AMateur, i indicated in my registration all info of my affiliations to the organizer with CFC, USCF and FIDE. I did not hide anything from the organizer.

My worry is that this rating may be affected by this coming Hart House Tournament Dec 18,19,20 where I expect to play better this time against FIDE rated opponents.

As for the pay day, my main target is the FIDE master title. Also the prizes is not much. One factor is the closeness to Toronto.

For pay day, i am looking at Las Vegas where the cash prize is way bigger at $ 90,000 as compared to $ 20,000 in Chicago.

At the 2010 World Amateur, there are many talented young players so the pot is a free for all. Everybody has a chance............

Comment

Sevan,

I was just teasing Erwin. I know he is registering by the book and all is above board. I have played a few blitz games with him otb and know he is quite strong, much stronger than a rating below 2000 would suggest. I am sure there will be a plethora of players like him at the tournament. Here is a call to all those incognito masters to come out of the woodwork and amass on the northern shores of Chicago come March :D

I would play but I am 2003 FIDE, although vastly overrated at that :o
                For example Erwin is rated over 150 points higher than me in our national rating.

Erwin must had beaten Hugh very badly No wonder he does not visit your club anymore because of your domination. Now it's time for Hugh to take it personally, not on the chessboard but in this forum. Hope this will work in his favor. Oh yeah it hurts to lose in chess especially to a lower rated player.

Comment

Working...
                X