A revolution in Geography!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A revolution in Geography!

On the CBC BC website tonight there is the headline "1 missing after fire at northern B.C. airport".

The town in question is Prince George, B.C. and this was a surprise to me, because all along I thought Prince George was still in Southern B.C., sitting as it does at about 53.55 degrees north of the equator. Victoria, at the southern limit is at 48.25 degrees, and B.C.'s northern border sits at 60 degrees, and, well, you do the math.

But I guess that if you live in Vancouver the north begins at Horseshoe Bay.

Re: A revolution in Geography!

From Montreal (45.28 degrees N), people "go up north" to their summer cottages - a distance of about 100 km (~46 degrees N). In Quebec - "up north" generally means anything north of the islands/cities of Montreal and Laval. Of course you can go "north" for another 1500 km and still be in Quebec (62.5 degrees N).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      From Montreal (45.28 degrees N), people "go up north" to their summer cottages - a distance of about 100 km (~46 degrees N). In Quebec - "up north" generally means anything north of the islands/cities of Montreal and Laval. Of course you can go "north" for another 1500 km and still be in Quebec (62.5 degrees N).

In beautiful balmy sunny Toronto, it's Latitude: 43° 40' 0 N, Longitude: 79° 25' 0 W. Tonight will be a delightful -7 C with a warm breeze coming in off the lake.

In the U.S. capital they are up to their cojones in snow. Isn't it great they solved global warming last week? Next week they will save the world from inflation. If it's not one thing, it's another.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

From Montreal (45.28 degrees N), people "go up north" to their summer cottages - a distance of about 100 km (~46 degrees N).
        Actually, some Quebecers say that they "go down" (descendre) the St. Lawrence river, which means that you can go down from Montreal to Baie-Comeau. They "go up" from Gaspésie to Montréal too...

Comment

And how many people are aware that Edmonton is actually in southern Alberta? Check the map:)

Comment

It's been raining all night in Iqaluit (latitude 63.5 degrees N).

It's -10 in Montreal. Why can't we have global warming here? (but do we want the sun setting at 1:42 in the afternoon?)

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/trend..._metric_e.html
            http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/71909.html

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
              And how many people are aware that Edmonton is actually in southern Alberta? Check the map:)
              The people from Grande-Prairie, Alberta often like to remind us that if anything Edmonton is central Alberta at best. Of course, people generally like to go by population centers and you can't count elks!

Comment

Why can't we have global warming here?
                Because it would be a contradiction in terms!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                  The people from Grande-Prairie, Alberta often like to remind us that if anything Edmonton is central Alberta at best. Of course, people generally like to go by population centers and you can't count elks!

I thought Grande-Prairie is one of the places in Alberta where the economy picks up with the increase of drilling for gas and oil. The motels getting doing well.

How are things this year?
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                    On the CBC BC website tonight there is the headline "1 missing after fire at northern B.C. airport".

The town in question is Prince George, B.C. and this was a surprise to me, because all along I thought Prince George was still in Southern B.C., sitting as it does at about 53.55 degrees north of the equator. Victoria, at the southern limit is at 48.25 degrees, and B.C.'s northern border sits at 60 degrees, and, well, you do the math.

Next you'll be talking about North-West America and South-East America.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      I thought Grande-Prairie is one of the places in Alberta where the economy picks up with the increase of drilling for gas and oil. The motels getting doing well.

How are things this year?
                      No clue. I am from Edmonton and haven't been there for two years. Still, they have a very nice tournament-The Trumpeter Classic which runs on the last weekend of January. If you are not afraid of extreme weather conditions it is hardly recommended. I only got Pneumonia once after attending it. No sweat!

Comment

Working...
                      X