Edmonton International Round 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton International Round 9

The 9th and final round of the Edmonton International has started.

GMs Mikhalevski and Friedel lead the pack with 5.5/8 followed by IM Marc Esserman with 5 so a three way tie for first is possible.

Eric Hansen still has a shot for an IM norm. He needs to defeat Hungarian IM Gergely Antal in the final round. Eric has black.

Watch the games or view the standings and photos at the official website.

Edmonton International

Re: Edmonton International Round 9

It is a tough task for both of them, I think. Anyway, I wish them both good luck!
    :)

Comment

Congrats GM Mikhalevski and GM Friedel for sharing first! in the final round Fridel held tough vs Kraai. That they are housemates (with another GM) ,I believe, may cause suspicion regarding an endgame where Kraai was up two pawns for a long time. But it was opposite B's. Fritz was still giving a 2.46 advantage after 30 moves; had to let it run for 150 moves before it conceded forced draw. Computers can be so dumb, sometimes.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post

GMs Mikhalevski and Friedel lead the pack with 5.5/8 followed by IM Marc Esserman with 5 so a three way tie for first is possible.

Eric Hansen still has a shot for an IM norm. He needs to defeat Hungarian IM Gergely Antal in the final round. Eric has black.

Edmonton International
        It's hard to get excited about this because your report is contradicted by the official website. Apparently the tournament has ended but the official website is still showing the standings after round 7. You have given the round 7 standings as if they are round 8 standings. Meanwhile, round 9 has ended.

Ah... Canadian chess... you gotta love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
          It's hard to get excited about this because your report is contradicted by the official website. Apparently the tournament has ended but the official website is still showing the standings after round 7. You have given the round 7 standings as if they are round 8 standings. Meanwhile, round 9 has ended.

Ah... Canadian chess... you gotta love it!
          Hi Dan,

Yes, amateur. That would be me. To get the latest results you might have had to refresh the browser you were using. Results and games were posted within an hour after each round, except for tonight when I posted them after dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
            Congrats GM Mikhalevski and GM Friedel for sharing first! in the final round Fridel held tough vs Kraai. That they are housemates (with another GM) ,I believe, may cause suspicion regarding an endgame where Kraai was up two pawns for a long time. But it was opposite B's. Fritz was still giving a 2.46 advantage after 30 moves; had to let it run for 150 moves before it conceded forced draw. Computers can be so dumb, sometimes.:)
            Fritz evaluates funny. In that position the 3 extra pawns were useless, unless I am missing something. Maybe Fritz was just adding up the value of the pieces?!

Comment

Edmonton International

I watched Eric's game. Where did he find 12. .... Ng4. (I think that's the move where he played it). Is it in some theory book? It looks terrible.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                I watched Eric's game. Where did he find 12. .... Ng4. (I think that's the move where he played it). Is it in some theory book? It looks terrible.
                I concur. They had played a lot of chess and we're worn out maybe. but considering what was on the line ( insidiously for us Gary:)?), ...Ng4 didn't seem prepared , or if it is theory, it sucks. Keep the pieces on the board w/ ..Qc7 a la Short, instead of ...o-o, i say, when needing the full point. Fritz still didn't mind Eric's pos if he had broken w/... e5, instead of pawn-grubbing, but still if...Ng4 doesn't contribute towards this, which it didn't in the game , or towards a K-side attack, ie. potential exchange sac on f3, then lets throw into the trash heap. Or no? Nakamura didn't fare any better vs. Mickey "the human Clamp' Adams, once those dark square b's disappear in Tarrasch,and the e5 fix w/o Black counterplay is on, but he managed one of the most unlikely draws of the year,imho.Simply saw further than Mickey, and understood more. Too bad he played that Dvortskian/ Shereshevskian "shoulder-check' in the endgame ( with K centralization) vs. Ni Hua a little too non-challantly, or we could have predicted dramatically better results for the HBOMB.We will see if he revs it up a notch For Corus-A.Go Naka!

Comment

Eric is one of they players I root for when he plays. Myself and someone else were making some comments in email as the games went along. I saw the opponent setting up the sacrifice well before it was played and commented what was coming.

I think at that level knowing the latest theory and playing it is very important. I buy books for lines I want to play.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Results and games were posted within an hour after each round, except for tonight when I posted them after dinner.
                    May you post a "normal" final round-robin crosstable, like at http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/twic789.html#8. thnx.

Comment

Working...
                    X