Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Scam?!(Non-Chess Topic)

I just got this message on Tagged.com

"Dear Friend, My name is Capt.Aaron Bert of the USMC stationed in Iraq. I am using this medium to open communication with you regarding moving an amount of money that have being in the custody of the US military command in Iraq for some years now .I will not start trying to deceive you about the source of this money. But I need you to be the receiver of $5.7m Dollars.Out of amount of money,which I am offering you 15% of your share. I am also looking at investing my share of the money in a good business venture in your country . some of our officers successfully had their money delivered many countries. I will need your email so that I can send you full details regarding this business offer. It is important that you do not discuss this proposal with any body. Regards, Capt.Aaron Bert"

Pretty Funny.

Merry Xmas

Michael Yip

Re: Internet Scam?!(Non-Chess Topic)

My name is Capt.Aaron Bert of the USMC stationed in Iraq
    There actually is/was a Capt. Aaron Bert stationed in Iraq in 2004-2005 (now in Afghanistan). See the link below. The spammers simply steal real names from newspaper articles, etc.

He already has your email address -why not send you the complete details with the original email?

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/theotherwar/

Comment

That is a total nonsens, completely ... ???(I don't want to name it). Just to - not be so naive!!

Comment

There was an article in the Victoria papers recently which depending on your point of view and personal beliefs, is or is not a scam.

Basically, it works like this - Suppose you are a good Christian convinced that the time of Rapture is near and are worried that when you are "taken up" that your boss, people in the neighborhood won't know what happened to you. Well, it turns out that there are solutions to this problem. There are websites that have a small group of 5 or 6 good Christians that log on each day. If they all don't log on, it is presumed that the Rapture has come. So, for a "small fee", you can subscribe to this website, and when they detect the Rapture (by their small group of good Christians not logging in daily) their computers will automatically email your boss, mother in-law, whoever, to explain what has happened to you.

But what about your pets you say? Well, for an additional small fee, they will put you in contact with an atheist living in your region who will promise to come and feed your pets when the Rapture comes (Clearly, the atheist will not be taken up in the Rapture...).

So, a scam or just a practical business opportunity....!?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
          ...But I need you to be the receiver of $5.7m Dollars.Out of amount of money,which I am offering you 15% of your share...
          This is yet another variant of the so-called Nigerian Scam. Try this link:
          http://www.scambusters.org/NigerianFee.html

The short answer is: DON'T FALL FOR IT!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
            There was an article in the Victoria papers recently which depending on your point of view and personal beliefs, is or is not a scam.

Basically, it works like this - Suppose you are a good Christian convinced that the time of Rapture is near and are worried that when you are "taken up" that your boss, people in the neighborhood won't know what happened to you. Well, it turns out that there are solutions to this problem. There are websites that have a small group of 5 or 6 good Christians that log on each day. If they all don't log on, it is presumed that the Rapture has come. So, for a "small fee", you can subscribe to this website, and when they detect the Rapture (by their small group of good Christians not logging in daily) their computers will automatically email your boss, mother in-law, whoever, to explain what has happened to you.

But what about your pets you say? Well, for an additional small fee, they will put you in contact with an atheist living in your region who will promise to come and feed your pets when the Rapture comes (Clearly, the atheist will not be taken up in the Rapture...).

So, a scam or just a practical business opportunity....!?
            UM.. that's called a scam, Roger. Pilfering Trillium funds is too.

Comment

Working...
            X