Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory is ours!

Originally posted by Larry Bevand on the Other ChessTalk
    The new ChessTalk was introduced a couple of months ago.

Slowly people are getting used to the new board which, in my opinion, is far superior, in many ways.

Chris Mallon helped us set up the new board and continues to be a driving force. Nigel Hanrahan has volunteered to help newcommers adapt to their new surroundings...and both of these gentleman are doing this as volunteers because they want a superior Chess Communication Board for Canada...thanks guys!

Please sign up for the new board at the link below....please start using the new board for NEW posts. On September 1, 2008, when you click on Chesstalk.com...you will be going directly to the new board.

We appreciate your support over the last 8 years in making ChessTalk THE place to get news and views on the Canadian chess scene!

ChessTalk, is owned and operated by the Chess'n Math Association, Canada's National Scholastic Chess Organization. We are a non-profit organization, incorporated in 1985. In 2010 we will be celebrating our 25th anniversary!

By purchasing your chess books and equipment from our online store www.strategygames.ca or one of our 3 retail locations, you are contributing to the development of chess in Canadian Schools.

Those who made purchases at the CYCC and the Canadian Open this summer have contributed to the CMA, the CFC and the FQE...helping all these organizations acheive their objectives...thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Larry Bevand
    Executive Director
    Chess'n Math Association
    Hurray! Thank you to Larry!
    Last edited by Luke Peristy; Tuesday, 29th July, 2008, 11:45 AM.

Re: Victory is ours!

I guess you can look at it that way, if you want to have people drop off ChessTalk altogether...

Comment

I'

Luke: Bruce has a good point. Even if you see the switch to this new ChessTalk as a victory - it would be wise to be more magnanimous about it.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I doubt that Bruce would feel any different if the subject had been "we're sorry, but the New ChessTalk format is the winner". There is always resistance to change; those that cannot or will not adapt have to just move elsewhere.

There are things about this new board that I find irritating, but overall I think the archiving and searching capabilities are well worth the small investment in time to learn how it works. Of course, all this would be moot if the CFC had a decent discussion board where CFC matters could be discussed by CFC members/governors/executive. Since that hasn't happened and may not happen anytime soon, this is the best of the alternatives. The fact that it is run by another chess organization is somewhat ironic.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: A New CFC Discussion Board

Hi Kerry:

I agree that it would be good for the CFC to try again their own discussion board. Can Chris tell us what it would cost to have a CFC board identical to this one?? You're now a governor Kerry, and so you could introduce a motion to buy/develop a discussion board, if you felt it was financially reasonable. And since you are now a governor, maybe you could convince your fellow governors to post on it - that would attract viewere/posters to the board.

Worth a second thought.

Bob

Comment

I would feel quite different, actually. I can and will use the new board, but I think the (typical chessplayer) idea of "victory" vs. "defeat" hardly applies. That one post gives a good indication of one of the big problems in Canadian chess.

Comment

Well, perhaps he was just being exuberant? or making a joke? Anyway, it is hardly that important.

As for Bob's suggestions: I dont have a decent handle on the state of the CFC finances (other than to suspect they are really bad). The CFC has much bigger issues (like survival) to deal with right now. Looks like we might have to wait until Sep1 or so to see David Lavin's grand plan... the hashing about associated with that ought to take a while, so in the meantime, the CFC will likely just go under for all intents and purposes. The process is just too slow; democracy is great until there is a crisis. I hope things are otherwise.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I think creating a general CFC discussion board would be an unnecessary duplication. The CMA is not "another chess organization" in relation to the CFC. The CFC is a national sporting Federation. The CMA, an organization with a great interest in chess in Canada, is providing an excellent resource with Chess Talk. Why would the CFC duplicate it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                  I think creating a general CFC discussion board would be an unnecessary duplication. The CMA is not "another chess organization" in relation to the CFC. The CFC is a national sporting Federation. The CMA, an organization with a great interest in chess in Canada, is providing an excellent resource with Chess Talk. Why would the CFC duplicate it?
                  At least the CFC would provide an additional service to their members.

Comment

Bruce: It was/is certainly not my intent to offend anybody. As Kerry pointed out, the thread title was meant to be facetious. I would be happy to change the thread title so something less offending. (That is if I could. Perhaps Chris can do it. Maybe he can delete this thread all-together. The last thing I want to do is accidently offend an old-boarder who comes over here for a look.)

As for the CFC having a discussion board, I think that it's kind of pointless, as everyone already uses ChessTalk for discussion, so what do we need a CFC board for?

Comment

No problem. There are more important things than this.

Comment

Something else.

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

I agree that it would be good for the CFC to try again their own discussion board.

Bob
                        I think that the status quo is the ideal situation. The CFC has a discussion board, and it does not cost them a penny. Look at the USCF's liability / insurance issues. Weren't they paying $30,000 a year for some sort of liability insurance, simply for their own forum?

Developing real chess content, the much talked about online magazine, will be challenge enough for the CFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          I agree that it would be good for the CFC to try again their own discussion board. Can Chris tell us what it would cost to have a CFC board identical to this one?? You're now a governor Kerry, and so you could introduce a motion to buy/develop a discussion board, if you felt it was financially reasonable. And since you are now a governor, maybe you could convince your fellow governors to post on it - that would attract viewere/posters to the board.
                          Certainly. The CFC already owns a lifetime license for this software (vBulletin). All that's needed is a web host with PHP and MySQL 5.

So for $40 a year-ish (yes that is a whopping $3.33 per month! ) I can have the CFC discussion board back up almost immediately. I believe I even have the whole thing backed up from what was there before.
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

NOOO, don't do it! ... I only want this one message board! (I'm banned on the dark one)

Comment

Hi Aris:

Now you have to think altruistically on this one. CFC'ers need to go " home ". And governors generally won't post here. And we're trying to rebuild the CFC and its image is greatly enhanced by having its own board.

I know this means we'll all have to check 2 boards ( your lucky - I'm not banned on the " dark " board, so I will have to check 3 ! ). But the sacrifice is for the collective benefit !! Go for it !

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X