Shirov Reminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirov Reminder

Just a reminder that Alexei Shirov will be coming to Ottawa to play a simul at 7 p.m. on Thursday 11 February, and give two three-hour lectures starting at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday 13-14 February before heading on to Scarborough for a simul on Thursday 18 February. The Ottawa events will be at the R.A. Centre on Riverside drive.
    Final day for registration and payment for the Ottawa simul is Thursday 7 January. At this point, we have a full house of 25 registered players but in light of the keen interest I will ask Shirov to take on five more opponents. Preference will go to those already on the reserve list.
    For the simul, spectators will be allowed but no cameras please. There will be an autographed copy of Fire on Board for the first player to score a point against the grandmaster or, if there are no wins, the first draw. There will be a full report in the April issue of the CFC magazine.
    We have 20 participants booked for the lectures but can accommodate a handful more. Again, the cut-off for registration and payment will be Thursday 7 January. Shirov will draw on some of his recent games to illustrate techniques of preparation and how to spot the opportunity for combinations.

Re: Shirov Reminder

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
    JThere will be an autographed copy of Fire on Board...
    This rise some questions. To my knowledge there is at least two volumes of the Fire on Board (amazon lists the third one but with a currently unavailable status) Thus which one be presented at the simul?

---
    During a Bareev's lecturer and simul, there was a rumor/joke that Strategy Games must to provide books by a lecturer (in this case it was From London to Elista: The Inside Story of the World Chess Championship Matches that Vladimir Kramnik Won Against Garry Kasparov, Peter Leko, and Veselin Topalov)

I hope, this time there will be possibilities to buy and sign books.

By the way, is he coming with his new girlfriend? :D

"• You came to Khanty Mansiysk with a charming girl. What can you tell us about her?
    - It is not easy to speak about a dear person… Olga's support was very important for me now. Almost priceless . I am very thankful to her for coming here! We are together for a short time, though we know each other for a longer period. We met and I became more optimistic, in chess, as well as in life."

http://ugra-chess.ru/eng/interv_50.htm

Comment

The prize is the first volume. Don't hold your breath for volume three. Shirov has submitted a manuscript but the publisher has not yet signed off so I doubt it will be available in time.
      I have alerted Larry Bevand and if he is the entrepreneur I believe him to be, he will see that the Ottawa store is well stocked with Shirov material. :)

Comment

At this point, he has no plans to bring his latest lady.

Comment

Re: Shirov Reminder-Registration closes tonight

A reminder that tonight is the last night for RA members to bring payment to guarantee their slots at the Shirov lectures/simul. After that, first paid first guaranteed.
          We have a full house---25 at the simul and 20 for the lectures---but Shirov is prepared to be flexible and accommodate up to five more at each.:)

Comment

Working...
          X