2010 Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Predictions

...a tower with flames shooting out sideways from it. It may also be interesting that one of the primary Tarot cards, used by fortune tellers for centuries, is the so-called Tower of Destruction.

Kramnik, Anand, and other toplevel GM's meet to battle in a tower in the NETHERLAND soon!!
    OK, Kevin, what's your prediction for Corus ( Wijk Ann Zee) Group A this year?
    and I WAS enjoying your reminisces/analyses on the history and future of The OCA, its leagues, and the CFC, of course. More anecdotes, please?:)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      One theory I heard on a religious show by the Lalonde Bros, a show which ended in the 1990s, was that the world populace that are going to be 'left behind' after the Rapture will be told that all the missing people were taken by aliens en masse :).
      ahhh that explains everything!... thats why there are all these mediocre movies about aliens attacking earth such as War of the Worlds and independence day... its a satanic conspiracy perpetrated by the Bilderburgers to prepare people to fight the armies of Jesus (aliens!!!)that are coming back! That would explain why they used Tom Cruise in war of the worlds...

Comment

I predict with some confidence that what we call "civilization" will survive the year largely if not entirely intact, and that most of us who post here will live to see the second decade of the third millennium CE commence on January first 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
          Kramnik, Anand, and other toplevel GM's meet to battle in a tower in the NETHERLAND soon!!
          OK, Kevin, what's your prediction for Corus ( Wijk Ann Zee) Group A this year?
          and I WAS enjoying your reminisces/analyses on the history and future of The OCA, its leagues, and the CFC, of course. More anecdotes, please?:)
          Funny, I keep getting calls for more predictions from chess message board fans... on the OCC Message Board (aka Dark Board), I was asked who'll win the Cdn Open & Closed. I answered IM Samsonkin would win both if he played, provided no super-GMs played in the Open.

As for Corus 'A', 2010, I call for Anand finishing first, Carlsen second, Kramnik third.

I think I've shot my biggest bolts, for now, concerning the 'reminisces/analysis' you speak of. My problem is ambivalent feelings for the CFC and OCA governing above the leagues. I wish it would all work together properly, most of the time at least, but I doubt it will, based on the past.

I'm someone who's at least travelled through much of the province at one time or another. My father's side comes from Northern Ontario (relatives in New Liskard, North Bay, Bancroft, Timmins, friends in Mattawa...) so I saw it when I got dragged along for visits as a kid. Later on I played the odd event in the SWOCL region (Guelph).

It would be fun if Ontario Team matches would be played, at least by Internet now and then. A number of years ago there was an Internet match between the RA club in Ottawa and my former club in Brampton, though I didn't play. I know I've played some Northern Ontario players at least once in the past (Dean, Kiviaho, yourself [an eventful KG draw]).

Back then Dean (if you know him) conveyed the Northern Ontario Leagues' mistrust of the OCA, then centred in Toronto, at the time of the 1988 & 1989 Ontario Closed events. However, he seemed to get on with the OCA exec who were present at the events. It was sort of the opposite of familiarity breeds contempt. On the whole, the north's distrust must have remained and eventually became terminal for some reason or other that was probably the fault of the OCA.
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

. I know I've played some Northern Ontario players at least once in the past (Dean, Kiviaho, yourself [an eventful KG draw]).

Back then Dean (if you know him) conveyed the Northern Ontario Leagues' mistrust of the OCA, then centred in Toronto, at the time of the 1988 & 1989 Ontario Closed events. However, he seemed to get on with the OCA exec who were present at the events. It was sort of the opposite of familiarity breeds contempt. On the whole, the north's distrust must have remained and eventually became terminal for some reason or other that was probably the fault of the OCA.[/QUOTE]

Hi Kevin,
            Just looked at our draw way back then. You were winning the entire way. Fritz makes most of my past games look bad that way. Maybe chess just wasn't very good say two to five decades ago. Rose coloured glasses and all.
            I think some sort of an internet tournament/match that can be CFC rateable is a great idea.weren't active games on ICC(?) rateable by the CFC for a time? I don't know why big tourneys are such a focus. They take up too much time and money -- travel, hotels, etc. Junior matches via internet would be good for them, esp. smaller communities where they're probably sick of playing against only each other.New ideas, way to improve.

Anderw Dean is now Dr.(Phd, UofT) Dean , and not ironically, became the youngest Dean Of Mathematics in Lakehead University's history. Returned home to rule the roost. He still loves chess, I think, but is so busy teaching teaching, producing papers, presenting them internationally, etc., he has little time, or the necessary energy to do it justice. So when he does play, though he still shows superior understanding, against me as well, he is content to draw, nervous about his tactics. When he can be cajoled to play (every year or two)by the Nadeaus (Helene, Denis, and now one of their grown up children, Francois) or Rutherford, N.Ontario's chess organizers, who are very active, travel thousands of miles annually w/o pay, in order to promote juniors. I do not represent N.Ont's mentality re. a distrust of OCA/CFC. You'd have to ask them. I don't think they're very pleased these days, though.Has there already been a secession? I wasn't even told about the OCA 2007 AGM, when i played in Rutherford's tourney. I doubt it would have had any meaning for me at that point for me though, anyways.Seemed strange for Thorvardson, Doubleday, and Gillanders to travel so far for not a strong field. So chess is weak here, I guess is what I mean. First tourney of the year for Thunder Bay had 8 players or so, most young children. I'm glad I didn't attend. Recent web connection has allowed to me start enjoying chess once again through e-mail sites. I don't play speed or live games. Probably will evolve to it, hopefully.

I can hardly wait for Corus to start. Cheering Nakamura on. He should move to Europe, no? My prediction: Carlsen -- 1st, Nakamura -- 2nd!!, Kramnik 3rd. Short last:) thats where i picked for London torney too! I was right! Too old.

Anand too. And he has nothing left to prove.

I vaguely remember Bill Doubleday being quite perturbed about some bad losses (we drew) and he left for an early flight. I asked him if we'd meet at a Candian Closed Championship again sometime: his response: " Not with my future rating":)
            Priceless.But he's over 2200 again, isn't he?
            You should be able to break 2400 with more activity in Ottawa. Montreal's not that far from there,too, isn it?

Comment

I think some sort of an internet tournament/match that can be CFC rateable is a great idea.weren't active games on ICC(?) rateable by the CFC for a time? I don't know why big tourneys are such a focus. They take up too much time and money -- travel, hotels, etc. Junior matches via internet would be good for them, esp. smaller communities where they're probably sick of playing against only each other.New ideas, way to improve.
              The CFC had a deal with the ICC to let CFC members play on it for a time, yes (that was another thing the CFC blew over the years). Don't know whether the CFC rated ICC games then - I didn't play on the Internet at the time, anyway, and I haven't for some time now, as for one thing I wonder about computer-assisted cheating. Plus I generally like to see my opponent and be in a playing hall atmosphere. Internet chess now and then could be okay for me though, especially to bring players together as teams from different ends of the province. Internet matches such as the RA-Brampton one can naturally be arranged with officials at the location of each computer, seeing that the players follow the rules. Sort of like Fischer's participation in a Cuban event from New York via teletype in the 60s.

Big tourneys are of course a good attraction for people hoping for a share of big cash prizes, and possibly FIDE ratings/norms. Which also lets locals play out of town players, often. Again there is the atmosphere of the playing hall. The North Bay events in the 1990s were good while they lasted, though I only played in one. After drawing a GM early I bombed due to not sleeping well most days.

I vaguely remember Bill Doubleday being quite perturbed about some bad losses (we drew) and he left for an early flight. I asked him if we'd meet at a Candian Closed Championship again sometime: his response: " Not with my future rating":)
              Priceless.But he's over 2200 again, isn't he?
              You should be able to break 2400 with more activity in Ottawa. Montreal's not that far from there,too, isn it?
              Bill is over 2200 again, yes.

Part of the reason I think I stagnated below 2400 is that there weren't enough 2400+ players in Ottawa most of the time I've been here. I don't think it was just getting older. To advance is not too difficult if you break even or do only slightly worse against those above you, and beat everyone else for the most part. Plus watching the sharks event after event, and listening to them if possible, helps.

Nowadays I don't travel much, and if I do it's to nearby towns for events. Maybe it was all those car rides when I was a kid, but I'm a little averse to travel. Plus it costs money I don't seem to have.

Anyway, who knows, I've had premonitions of settling down even more, sometime soon perhaps. Maybe 2013 will be a nice year.
              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 6th January, 2010, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Just do it, as Tiger says. Kick some butt in Montreal.Esp if its CFC-rated.

Comment

Just do it, as Tiger says. Kick some butt in Montreal.Esp if its CFC-rated.
                  Ex-CFC Prez Halldor Palsson asked me about going the odd time, but I couldn't make it for one reason or another. Probably I thought I couldn't really afford lodgings on my tight budget (he would drive). However, a guy we both know now lives there so maybe it will be more feasible.

I study with Halldor most Tuesdays at his place. Like everyone else in our city, and elsewhere, we have our own views on how the chess universe works in Canada. Anyway, the highlight of our evening is to chortle as we treat ourselves with a look at Spraggett's blog, after I've properly imbibed (Halldor doesn't, for a change, in order to drive safely :(). Halldor provides me with big, manly sized cans of German beer; GM Sambuev, when he come to town, prefers Halldor's vodka, naturally.

Regarding Internet Ontario team chess, I think the RA-Brampton match may have been conducted by e-mail. In principle such matches might be conducted by Internet too, even without a chess server (though the overdue promised new OCC message board is supposed to have one, I think). For example, chesstalk might be able to run the matches like the ongoing chesstalk vs. foreign message board readers' games (see the appropriate threads).

Comment

Ex-CFC Prez Halldor Palsson asked me about going the odd time, but I couldn't make it for one reason or another. Probably I thought I couldn't really afford lodgings on my tight budget (he would drive). However, a guy we both know now lives there so maybe it will be more feasible.

I study with Halldor most Tuesdays at his place. Like everyone else in our city, and elsewhere, we have our own views on how the chess universe works in Canada. Anyway, the highlight of our evening is to chortle as we treat ourselves with a look at Spraggett's blog, after I've properly imbibed (Halldor doesn't, for a change, in order to drive safely :(). Halldor provides me with big, manly sized cans of German beer; GM Sambuev, when he come to town, prefers Halldor's vodka, naturally.

Regarding Internet Ontario team chess, I think the RA-Brampton match may have been conducted by e-mail. In principle such matches might be conducted by Internet too, even without a chess server (though the overdue promised new OCC message board is supposed to have one, I think). For example, chesstalk might be able to run the matches like the ongoing chesstalk vs. foreign message board readers' games (see the appropriate threads).
                    You get to hang w/ Sambuev and Palsson? Thats gotta be fun and GOOD for ur chess. Awesome I'm jealous. Nobody looks at chess here in town. Most players can't believe there's actually entire books devoted to chess. I have some books im trying to unload,i'll contact you in private later dave
                    Last edited by David McTavish; Friday, 8th January, 2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

I have some books im trying to unload,i'll contact you in private later dave
                      Err, sorry, but I rarely buy stuff anymore. As I wrote, me budget's quite tight :(

Comment

You get to hang w/ Sambuev and Palsson? Thats gotta be fun and GOOD for ur chess. Awesome I'm jealous. Nobody looks at chess here in town. Most players can't believe there's actually entire books devoted to chess. I have some books im trying to unload,i'll contact you in private later dave
                        They make books about chess!?!?!??
                        Next thing you know there will be computer programs as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
                          They make books about chess!?!?!??
                          Next thing you know there will be computer programs as well!
                          mr kp surf the occ dude! jl, rd lila and grab baphil@ubcsoonpls

Comment

My 2010 predictions (as I've posted on the stagnant OCC message board):

Posted on January 1, 2010 at 03:21:18 PM by Kevin Pacey

I'm a day late, but here are my predictions for 2010:
                            I've decided not to write what I see for 2010. I've calculated what I think is the likely high and low for the Dow Jones Industrial Average but will keep it to myself.

Hopefully, I won't have to employ all the recipies I have for making Kraft Dinner. That's what comes from investing with the grocery money and guessing the trend the wrong way.

It reminds me of the old Kris Kristofferson song "Me and Bobby McGee", which starts out:

Busted flat in Baton Rouge, headin for the trains.

I hope this whets your appetite for more.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              I've decided not to write what I see for 2010. I've calculated what I think is the likely high and low for the Dow Jones Industrial Average but will keep it to myself.

Hopefully, I won't have to employ all the recipies I have for making Kraft Dinner. That's what comes from investing with the grocery money and guessing the trend the wrong way.

It reminds me of the old Kris Kristofferson song "Me and Bobby McGee", which starts out:

Busted flat in Baton Rouge, headin for the trains.

I hope this whets your appetite for more.
                              You mean my appetite for more of such fitting musical verses? :D

Regrettably I'm not in much of a position to be interested in the market for too many reasons, other than determining better who (not) to vote for, so that the economy may sooner screw up my life in less ways, for the time being, hopefully. Investing is out of the question at the moment, in that I'm trying to keep my head above water financially. A dental crown this coming year will cost, then maybe comes orthotics next year. All not covered at all by Ontario ODSP, nor is chiropractic care. Then comes the HST in July. Thank you Dalton, you 'kitten-eater' .

My brother, who's health problems are more serious than my own, keeps track of the economy much more. He's on a fixed income, which means he's struggling in his own way too. He does invest, favouring bonds at the moment. A self-described 'bear'.

Comment

I'm trying to keep my head above water financially. A dental crown this coming year will cost, then maybe comes orthotics next year. All not covered at all by Ontario ODSP, nor is chiropractic care.
                                To qualify the above, ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program) covers the cost of one's FIRST pair of orthotics, to some extent. Any subsequent pairs (such as I might now need) are not covered (as my chiropractor exclaimed, that's like saying someone will probably need just one pair of eye glasses in their life). Dental crowns are covered only in the case of front teeth, and only if one's livelihood depends on having them. As my dental receptionist explained, that would be if you were someone who had lost both arms and were an artist who held your brush in your mouth, or if you were an actor or actress...

Chiropractic care and eye exams used to be at least partly covered by OHIP, but no longer, thanks to the kitten-eater.

Comment

Working...
                                X