• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tournaments in Toronto

CMA February Active

City: Toronto
    Date: February 6th, 2010
    Place: Strategy Games, 701 Mt Pleasant Road (South of Eglinton)
    Province: ON
    Rds: 5
    Type: Swiss
    Times: 10am, 11:15am, 1:15pm, 2:30pm, 3:45pm, 5pm
    TC: 25 minutes plus 5 seconds
    EF: $20 by Jan 31st, 2010; $10 more after that date.
    Prizes: $400 in prizes. All prizes are gift certificates redeemable at Strategy Games. OPEN: 1st $125, 2nd $75, 3rd $50; U1800: 1st $75, 2nd $50, 3rd $25
    Reg: Send entries payable to Larry Bevand, c/o Strategy Games, 701 Mt Pleasant Rd, Toronto, ON M4S 2P4
    Misc: 2 sections: OPEN & U1800. 24 places available. Register early. Information (416) 486-3395. All equipment is supplied.

CMA February Blitz

City: Toronto
    Date: February 7th, 2010
    Place: Strategy Games, 701 Mt Pleasant Road (South of Eglinton)
    Province: ON
    Rds: 6
    Type: Swiss
    Times: Begins at 1pm. Rounds as players finish.
    TC: 5 minutes per player plus 5 second increment
    EF: $15
    Prizes: $300 in gift certificates at Strategy Games. 2 sections. OPEN: 1st $100, 2nd $50, 3rd $30. U1900: 1st $60, 2nd $40, 3rd $20
    Reg: Send entries payable to Larry Bevand, c/o Strategy Games, 701 Mt Pleasant Rd, Toronto, ON M4S 2P4 OR At site between 12pm and 12:40pm
    Misc: Limited to 24 players. For more Information call (416) 486-3395. All equipment is supplied.

Re: New Tournaments in Toronto

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Date: February 6th, 2010
    Hi Larry,

Is it in collaboration with V.Dobrich (Saturday Blitz)? Just wondering if it is a one time shot, or some kind of a chess club.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Hi Larry,

Is it in collaboration with V.Dobrich (Saturday Blitz)? Just wondering if it is a one time shot, or some kind of a chess club.

Regards.
      Hi Egidijus,

Actually it is more like a trial balloon. If it flies, we will probably do them on a monthly basis otherwise it will become history. We are doing the blitz on the Sunday in order not to conflict with the Blitz that Vlad holds on Saturdays.

Hope to see you there :)

Larry

Comment

I don't think the serious players are going to come out for gift certificates

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          Hope to see you there :)
          I placed it into my calendar.

Any reason to make a pause after the second round? It would be more reasonable to have a rest/lunch after the third

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Tayar View Post
            What makes you a serious player?:)

Belated congrats on your IM title; it was inevitable. Followed your games from Can. Op., and could not believe how you weaved a way out of an apparent bind in the Closed in the last round. It was a real nail-biter, watching from the net, with only one path to victory according to Fritz most of the time for you. Couldn't believe you found all those moves. I guess that white knight on g7 was overrated?

Any predictions for Corus, IM Tayer?

Comment

I totally agree with IM Jon. It's like paying an entry fee to force you to buy chess materials by force (compulsary) if you win. It a sure sales for Chess Strategy (win-win situation). Common guys, give the player's flexibility of choice for cash prizes instead of gift certificates.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post
                Common guys, give the player's flexibility of choice for cash prizes instead of gift certificates.:D
                You have a choice, just read http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...30&postcount=1
                "There is room for 24 players.
                Is there interest in organizing activities there on weekends?
                Saturday is available from 10 am - 6 pm and Sunday from noon - 5 pm"

Comment

I am probably not a serious player then because I might come out for a gift certificate if its big enough. But then that is probably only because I am an old washed out player still buying chess books on paper... :)

Comment

Promoting chess is more than just creating events aimed primarily at the serious players.

There is a huge potential upside as non-CFC members may decide $20 and a Saturday may be the right price to give competitive chess a chance.

Good luck Larry!

Comment

Growing the CFC Membership

Hi Daniel:

Very good point.

I think the CFC needs to look carefully at how to draw casual players into competitive tournament chess. I think it needs to look at non-CFC rated ( so there is no payment necessary of an annual CFC membership ), low entry fee, " for the casual player " , clocks if possible, but recording not required, with lots of low-priced prizes ( chess books, local retail gift certificates, annual membership in local chess club; etc. ) tournaments, with good publicity where chess never really publicizes itself much - in the marketplace; on the community board at the local supermarket; flyers on telephone polls ( I know it's technically illegal ! ); on library bulletin boards; at the Toronto " Chess in the Library " Program; in the local community newspaper; on school bulletin boards, with administration approval ( elementary, highschool, community college, university ); and whereever else volunteer help is willing to advertise.

Once we have casual players playing under " near " tournament conditions, some will want the " real deal ", and they can then get the proposed first-time CFC'er 40% Discount annual membership when they play in their first CFC-rated tournament ( and they won't be asking about some historical relic called a " tournament membership " ).

Seems a sound way to grow the CFC membership.

Any more ideas on promoting chess outside the already-committed CFC community of players?

Bob

Comment

Hi Jonathan,

I was trying to create a win-win situation. If you do the financials on this event you will see that everyone wins with this format. However, if all that is important to you is money...may I humbly suggest that there are many many more profitable ways for you to spend your time...and money :)

My parents were always disappointed (until they finally understood at the end of their lives) that I decided to do chess for a living. I never regretted the decision. It has been an awesome ride!

If chess players in Toronto are of the same mind set as you...no problem. No one needs to hit me over the head too often for my brain to understand. February will be our first and last attempt...and my girlfriend will be happy to see me :)

On the other hand...if you, or our readers, want to see many more of these events, register early FOR THIS EVENT, and make it real :)

Larry

Comment

How much does it cost to rent this place for the weekend ?
                          What is provided again?

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                            How much does it cost to rent this place for the weekend ?
                            What is provided again?
                            Hi John,

There is no charge to rent the space however you have to purchase gift certificates which are redeemable at the shop for a total of $40 for each day you use the facilities.

There is a restriction. Your event has to run at the same time as our shop hours. On the Saturday that means anytime between 10 am - 6 pm and Sunday from noon - 5 pm.

Chess sets and clocks are provided.

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,

Are these CFC Active rated events?

Comment

Working...
                              X