Bermuda 2010: Anyone Playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bermuda 2010: Anyone Playing?

I remember there was a post about this event some time back. Is anyone going from Canada?

I am considering playing in 2011 if I can make the budget work. it would be a geat excuse to start studying chess and playing a few tournaments beforehand.

It seems like flights can be had in the $600 range. Accomodations are expensive even though it's held in the off season. Even staying as far away as St. George doesn't really bring hte cost down appreciably. Sharing a room would halve the expense, but brings its own challenges. :)

Re: Bermuda 2010: Anyone Playing?

Did you mean 2011 or 2010. A number of us are going from Ottawa and I expect the usual attendees from Toronto. Wherever you stay, and there are cheaper alternatives, remember that it takes a long time to get around this tiny country. St. Georges is probably well over an hour away.
    It is a very enjoyable event even as a weekend Swiss. Very different from its glory days with a high powered invitational with the likes of Ivanchuk and Aronian.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
      Did you mean 2011 or 2010. A number of us are going from Ottawa and I expect the usual attendees from Toronto. Wherever you stay, and there are cheaper alternatives, remember that it takes a long time to get around this tiny country. St. Georges is probably well over an hour away.
      It is a very enjoyable event even as a weekend Swiss. Very different from its glory days with a high powered invitational with the likes of Ivanchuk and Aronian.
      I was asking about this year's event, but I am looking to play in 2011. Since I've visited Bermuda a couple of times, I have a sense for the distances involved. Staying anywhere from Hamilton to the South Shore is manageable.

Accomodations are expensive, but there must be some B&B's or other places to stay.

Good luck in the tournament! Any news you'd like to share afterwards would be appreciated.

Comment

I will be there as well.

I have nothing but good things to say about Bermuda and its tournament (and organizers). I wrote a recap of last year's event for uschess.org ; I am sure it can be found.
        Happy travels,
        Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Pascal Charbonneau View Post
          I will be there as well.

I have nothing but good things to say about Bermuda and its tournament (and organizers). I wrote a recap of last year's event for uschess.org ; I am sure it can be found.
          Happy travels,
          Pascal
          Yes, your report was really well done. People can view it here:

http://main.uschess.org/content/view/9112/517/

There is also another interesting blog to be read from another participant.

http://castlingqueenside.blogspot.co...pen-day-1.html

Best of luck to you and all the other players. it should be a lot of fun!

Comment

Working...
          X