• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Youth Tournaments in York Region

Details at http://www.optimistchess.com
    Aurora - Friday, February 25, 2010

P.S.
    Please don't spoil this thread. It is only to inform you about tournaments and (maybe) results.
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Thursday, 7th January, 2010, 09:56 PM.

New Youth Tournaments in York Region are NOT NEW !

The annual Aurora tournament and the rest in the series are not new - we are now entering our 14th year!

Interestingly, I did send a message to our website administrator early this morning with some corrections and updates. The correct date for the 2010 Aurora tournament is Thursday, February 25th.

Once the changes and updates were to be made, I was planning on posting a reply to the $120,000 fiasco thread .. or starting my own post ... perhaps with the headline - "How to Promote Chess in York Region for Less Than $120,000" ... too late now I suppose ...

The Optimists recruited myself and several other capable chess enthusiasts years ago to volunteer our time in establishing and running this series of tournaments. I recruited a friend to volunteer his time to set up and administer our website. The nominal entry fee of $10 per player and some fund raising by the Optimists covers all the costs. The relatively new Vaughan tournament is run by the CMA, and the Markham tournament was recently turned over to the CMA as the local club could no longer support it. Last year over 1,300 students from public, separate and private schools participated. We have had quite a few Canadian Chess Challenge champions start their quest for glory at the annual Richmond Hill tournament!

P.S. It is interesting that, at the time it was set up, absolutely nobody associated with the infamous Trillium project ever had enough common (??) sense to contact me about the promotion of chess in York Region?!?!

Comment

Re: New Youth Tournaments in York Region are NOT NEW !

Originally posted by David Lawless View Post
      The annual Aurora tournament and the rest in the series are not new - we are now entering our 14th year!
      Every new season comes with new tournaments :D

--
      When do you plan to submit invitations to schools?
      What is a starting time for tournaments?

--
      sorry for taking a joy from you to announce... (It is coincidence that I remembered Optimists by passing Industrial Pkwy yesterday :p

Comment

[moderator]Snip Snip[/moderator]
        Last edited by Christopher Mallon; Friday, 8th January, 2010, 01:42 PM. Reason: Stay on topic. The original poster even asked you to. Message deleted.

Comment

I've deleted my original comment here, as it was in reference to a link in David M's contribution that has since been removed.
          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Friday, 8th January, 2010, 01:51 PM. Reason: see above.
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
            I've deleted my original comment here, as it was in reference to a link in David M's contribution that has since been removed.
            Thank heavens for that. Some of us have been getting rather tired of "All McTavish, All the Time".

Back on point: I know several people who have been involved with the Optimist tournaments and am happy to see that the tournaments are still going strong. I saw Doug Gillis (very briefly) last night and chatted with Dave Lawless a few years ago at a CMA Ontario Chess Challenge (if memory serves).

Steve

Comment

Egidijus, most of the invitations have already been sent out to the schools ... all should be out in a maximum of 2 weeks from now.
              The official starting time for the tournaments is between 9 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. However, as is always the case, last second changes and corrections and late arrivals mean that 9:30 a.m. is the practical start time.
              Please e-mail me at davidlawless@rogers.com if you have any questions ... or would possibly like to assist.
              Last edited by David Lawless; Saturday, 9th January, 2010, 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Working...
              X