2010 Ontario Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Ontario Open

Do you still accept onsite registration after Monday, May 17? If so, how much will that be?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post
      Do you still accept onsite registration after Monday, May 17? If so, how much will that be?

Thanks!
      Hi Rob,

I'll check with Ted, and revert, hopefully tonite.

I do know he's received numerous requests for the
      same including folks from the U.S. who will be arriving
      the Saturday morning itself, others the nite before.

The surcharge if any (though in fairness to the pre-
      registrants) may be minimal ($5?), to encourage all.

The easiest would prob. be for him to extend the early
      deadline to sometime mid-week, but that's his call:-)

Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post

I do know he's received numerous requests for the
        same including folks from the U.S. who will be arriving
        the Saturday morning itself, others the nite before.

Francis
        I saw the ad from Susan Polgar's Website Dated May 10:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/sear...max-results=20

FYI, Ferdinand

Comment

Re: 2010 Ontario Open - free entry offered to Olympians and WJrCh

Women's Olympiad Team members Dalia Kagramanov and Yelizaveta Orlova will play in the Ontario Open, Victoria Day weekend, Toronto!

Comment

Is there an updated Pre-registered list available? People are asking me who is coming.

I saw I'm there but the old list has some who told me they are not coming due to work etc. Do you have any updates?

Comment

Re: 2010 Ontario Open - free entry offered to Olympians and WJrCh

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
              Re. Toronto accomodation enquiries for the Ontario Open -

Great deal -

Singles, all mod cons, from $25 to $35/night!

Special offer from a 2100+ chess master - Erwin Casareno.

Townhouse accomodation - microwave, fridge, cooker, cable,
              internet access, kitchen, etc. all fully self-contained rooms.

I gather though, all the $25 rooms have been snapped up!

The $35 works out -
              single $35; double $20 each; triple $15 each; separate beds!

Quite a deal:-)

Call Erwin on: 416-918-0528.
              casareno.erwin@gmail.com;

Incidentally, Erwin asks if someone could offer him similar in
              Montreal, Ottawa - he's dying to visit and play blitz/all-comers!

Francis.
              I have a room available at $35 a night in Montreal...2 minutes to the Metro and 5 minutes from Downtown.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                Is there an updated Pre-registered list available? People are asking me who is coming.

I saw I'm there but the old list has some who told me they are not coming due to work etc. Do you have any updates?
                If there is someone who updates pre-registered list on his tournament every time and whenever there are changes even a single one, that person is no other than ALEX FERRERA of HART HOUSE! I guess, we may see the updated pre-registered list most likely after Monday, May 17.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post

I apologise folks - entries go directly to Ted, so I'm
                  sure we'll get an update from him soon, but in the
                  meanwhile here's what I had last (I've yet to receive
                  written confirmation of the only possible no show*).

Almost 20 players over 2000+ now and still climbing.....

IM David Cummings returns to the fray, fresh from his
                  Hart House domination of Sambuev, Samsonkin (last
                  year's Open winners), etc. Incidentally, IM Cummings
                  first won this great event all of 11 years ago, in 1999.

Like Hart House, there will be a team-prize - email your
                  4 team-member names to Ted - individual totals will be
                  tallied. There will also be a "pair prize" for parent/child,
                  given the growing number of father-son entries so far.

Francis.

Comment

Mr. Francis Rodriguez:

Just a curious question? Is that my name with the *? If it is, then take my name off the pre-registered list. I have emailed Ted and told him that I won't be able to make it. If it isn't, then ignore this post.

Best of luck with your tournament.

John Erickson
                    Niagara Falls, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by John Erickson View Post
                      Mr. Francis Rodriguez:

Just a curious question? Is that my name with the *? If it is, then take my name off the pre-registered list. I have emailed Ted and told him that I won't be able to make it. If it isn't, then ignore this post.

Best of luck with your tournament.

John Erickson
                      Niagara Falls, Ontario

Hi John,

Will do. Pls. excuse the Icelandic spelling:-)
                      Ted did mention your absence in passing,
                      over the phone, but I was awaiting written
                      confirmation. We shall certainly miss you.

Francis.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post

Thanks!
                        Hi Rob,

Pls. excuse the delay in posting Ted's reply to your
                        enquiry of yesterday, wrt onsite registration:

Hi Francis,

Extending the deadline past Monday is no problem. I discussed
                        this with Brett Campbell yesterday. We could take entries as late
                        as Thursday evening at no extra cost..... provided the participant
                        arrives before 9:30 am on Saturday 22 May, to make payment.

We would also allow registration at the door on the following basis:

1) There would be a $20 late charge.
                        2) Player given an automatic 1/2 point bye for round one.
                        3) Registration must be done by 1:00 pm...to allow adequate
                        time to enter on the computer.

Ted.

Comment

I'll be at the Scarborough Chess Club on the evening of Thursday, May 20 for their 50th Anniv. celebrations. I can take entries for the Ontario Open there.

David

Comment

Re: 2010 Ontario Open Victoria Day Weekend - 3 Olympians entered!

So far 3 members of our Olympiad Teams have entered: IM Nikolay Noritsyn, Yelizaveta Orlova and Dalia Kagramanov!

Comment

From this week's Scarborough Club newsletter:

The early years of the Ontario Open were held in Toronto and few of the players were from outside of Toronto. Some interesting ideas were tried to make it a big event.

Over Easter weekend of 1947 the Ontario Championship was held in the Gambit Chess Club, 801 Yonge Street, probably the first weekend Swiss in Ontario (The 1947 Montreal Open Chess Championship had 46 players in a 7-round Swiss). It was won by Peter Avery, 4-1, over seven others. He lost his first round game to Earl Jewitt. Norbert Glasberg of Midland and Gordon Weaver tied for second, 3.5. The bigger chess event that week was the tandem simul by Abe Yanofsky and Robert Wade. And the next week Robert Warner of Jarvis C.I. won the Toronto Junior Championship. In May was the annual Toronto Chess League Spring Festival.

In March 1948 Toronto junior Frank Anderson won the Ontario Open Championship on tie-break over Noel Williams of London (later Montreal Champion), both 5-1, although Williams defeated Anderson. 20 players. Anderson’s games are in the recently published book by John Donaldson. OCA President Rea Hayes of Kitchener and Redpath Drummond of Hamilton tied for third. In his Toronto Star column Charles Crompton criticized the Swiss system as involving “chance and the mathematical element.”

In April 1949 at the Queen City Chess Club, 270 Huron, the Ontario Championship was restricted to top-ranked “Class A” players. 16 players. The top three finishers qualified for the Canadian Closed: Anderson 8-0, Vaitonis 7 and Drummond 5. Later William Oaker won the Toronto Junior Championship.
                              In September George Coyne had organized a chess tournament for Class B players and under at the 1949 CNE Coliseum (there would be thousands of passing spectators), during the Canadian Checker Championship. Junior H. Anto won with 11 points and entered next year’s Ontario Championship.

In September 1950 the Ontario Championship was split two days at the Central YMCA and two days at the CNE. Paul Vaitonis won +5=2-0. 10 players. Eleven players competed in a Class B section, 24 in a rapid transit tourney (10 seconds a move), and there was a novelty game reconstruction contest.

In March 1951 the Ontario Championship was back to Easter at the Gambit Chess Club, 577 Jarvis St, won by Anderson, 5-1, losing to newcomer Zoltan Sarosy. 12 players. The Ontario Junior Championship had 28 entries. Ross Siemms won 5-0 and won the playoff over William Oaker, but lost a match with Montreal’s Lionel Joyner to represent Canada at the first World Junior in England.

In April 1952 at the Toronto Chess Club on Victoria St. Anderson won the Ontario Championship on tie-break over John Despard 4.5-1.5. Eleven players.

In Feb. 1953 the Ontario Championship was played over two weekends at the Canadian International Hobby and Homecraft Show at the Coliseum and was won by Vaitonis, 5.5-.5. 10 players. He won $25 plus a rebate on an Austin car.

There were also tourneys advertised for Class B, ladies, schoolgirls, schoolboys and a rapid transit tourney for those under Class A. Students must show a certificate of attendance to play. Class B was won by S. Schein, girls won by Irene Bollard, Grade 8 won by Peter Bates (who played in the World Junior in 1957), Grade 6 won by Douglas Durno. The Class B speed tournament was won by L. J. Siemms, father of Ross Siemms.
                              In 1954 to attract interest to chess at the Hobby Show displays were to include a tandem simult, blindfold, rapid transit and Calendar Chess. Calendar chess, invented by OCA President George Coyne, is played on the pages of a calendar and when pieces land on a date, they score the points of the date, e.g. May 6 scores 6 points. First person to score 206 points wins.

The big publicity event was a cable game between Anderson and GM Igor Bondarevsky in Moscow played over five days which got daily front page coverage as well as the CBC TV news [for those few who would have this new technology]. George Berner used a five-foot-square demo board to explain the game to the crowds.

Geza Fuster won the Ontario Championship, 6-0. 12 players. Class B section had 11, Boy’s section won by Bates had 27 players, and Girls won by Shirley Cathcart had 8 players.

In March 1955 the Easter weekend was used for OCA Inter-city matches and the Provincial School Children’s Championship at the Central YMCA. Ottawa RA Club A Team was the Ontario Team Champions. Dave Grimshaw won the Senior Boys, Alan Jurma Junior Boys, and Penny Kormann Girls.

In May the Ontario Championship at the Toronto Chess Club was won by Ivan Suk (Theodorovitch) on tie-break over Vaitonis, 5-1. 22 players.

In May 1956 the Ontario Open Championship was held outside Toronto for the first time, in St. Catharines (the 1954 Ontario Team Champions). The month before Kitchener also had their first Open Championship with 10 players (Phil Haley and L. Znots drew after 8.5 hours and 103 moves). In 1959 Concordia Chess Club in Kitchener hosted the Ontario Open (and in 1960 they had the Canadian Open).

Comment

Will Strategy Games be having book sales at the Ontario Open?

Comment

Working...
                                X