suggestion re sticky/announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestion re sticky/announcement

To Chris/Nigel/etc., one of the great things about this new board is how threads will bounce back up to the top when there is a new post against them. Therefore, I see less of a need to use the sticky/announcement format. In fact, there are so many of these now, that when I log in, my sticky/announcement list is longer than my regular thread list. So, is someone considering housecleaning sticky/announcement threads back to normal threads? Not to hurt feelings, but I really cannot see why some sticky were ever posted as sticky.

Thanks in advance, and best regards.

Re: suggestion re sticky/announcement

I'm with Aris. Way too many stickies at the moment...

Comment

And IMHO most of them don't deserve to be stickies, and especially with the feature that bumps threads up to the top when there is a new post, stickies should be very rare.

Again, just my 2c worth (coloured with contra-unnecessary-aggrandizing philosophy ;)

Comment

unsticky stickies

Not a bad idea. The Canadian Open has come to an end, hasn't it?
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: unsticky stickies

Thanks for unsticking ... feel free to do that mercilessly in the future, BWAHAHAHA ;)

Comment

I agree ... very little need for stickies ...

In fact, since the announcement has been made that the old chesstalk will be retired, let's un-sticky the poll thread too ....
            ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
            Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

Right on, that's what I'm talking about, be ruthless with the stickies, LOL! :)

Comment

unsticking stickies

You guys might be right. But I'd rather not edit the efforts of an administrator just yet.

Another month and it will be moot in any case. At that point I would be happy to unstick the sticky.

Comment

Suggestion: do sticky threads with upcoming/going tournaments with the detail title: what, where, when.

When there will be too much tournaments please make a new forum "Tournaments" :D

Comment

My 2c worth is to not have a separate forum, leaving everything in one spot. I'm also against the vast majority of stickies, as when there is something new in a thread, it just pops to the top anyway. I wouldn't argue if my next tournament announcement was made into a stickie, but I really prefer as few stickies and different forums as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                      My 2c worth is to not have a separate forum, leaving everything in one spot. I'm also against the vast majority of stickies, as when there is something new in a thread, it just pops to the top anyway. I wouldn't argue if my next tournament announcement was made into a stickie, but I really prefer as few stickies and different forums as possible.
                      The point of sticky threads is to make sure that important information that is timeless is obvious. Timeless information includes things like board policies, posting ettiquette or lack thereof, hints on using the board features etc. This information doesn't change often so it would not percolate to the top. Like the FAQ idea - it is supposed to save time for newbies but not be in the way of the veterans.

Any thread that contains temporal information (like an upcoming tournament or a tournament that is in-progress or just concluded) should live or die based on the recent posts rule. The admins could consider deleting threads that end up being purely tournament announcements and related requests once the tournament is over (only if the thread contains no other useful content).
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Agreed ... and much better expressed than my post(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                          The point of sticky threads is to make sure that important information that is timeless is obvious. Timeless information includes things like board policies, posting ettiquette or lack thereof, hints on using the board features etc. This information doesn't change often so it would not percolate to the top. Like the FAQ idea - it is supposed to save time for newbies but not be in the way of the veterans.
                          The Australian Discussion Board makes use of two kinds of stickies: announcements and important notices. These vary depending on which sub-forum they are posted on.

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                          Any thread that contains temporal information (like an upcoming tournament or a tournament that is in-progress or just concluded) should live or die based on the recent posts rule. The admins could consider deleting threads that end up being purely tournament announcements and related requests once the tournament is over (only if the thread contains no other useful content).
                          What I've done in a few cases is to merge a bunch of short threads together into a single thread. The only thread I've deleted is an accidental duplication by J. Ken MacDonald.

The issue of "how many forums?" will probably come up in the future. If threads do not roll off the board then it would seem to make sense to organize them in some way for ease of access by users. So far, however, the only view expressed by any of the administrators is a preference by one of them (I forget which one) for a single forum.

My own view (only) is that we could have 3 sub-forums: a) Canadian Chess; b) General; and c) Archives. Into these would go: a) Chess Tournaments & Canadian Chess; b) General & Help/Feedback & possibly Reviews.

Comment

People have in the past requested that it stay with one forum so I guess it will for now.
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

God bless !!

Comment

Working...
                              X