Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appending Files

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Does the program append a new file to the old one automatically?
    If you mean something like Chessdb, no. You need to download the file, open it, open the database you want as host, and import the file into the host database.

It is quite easy to create a batch file or a script that goes fetch one file on a web server, even many at the same time, with something like wget.

Since PGN files are simply text files, it's also trivial to append them together with one command line. Even the DOS copy command can work.

But as I said, TWIC did not authorize Scid to go fetch its PGN files.

Comment

Re: Appending Files

Actually in chessdb you can download the file directly into your chessdb database without going through the intermediate step of downloading the file to your computer. Also you can download all pgn files in a directory on your computer directly into your database. The database has to be in SCID/Chessdb native format.

If you want to append files to a pgn you need to use a separate utility or DOS commands or you can export the SCID database to a pgn file.
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 18th February, 2010, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Scripting Away

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        Actually in chessdb you can download the file directly into your chessdb database without going through the intermediate step of downloading the file to your computer. Also you can download all pgn files in a directory on your computer directly into your database.
        Indeed. But what I think I remember is that Chessdb uses a freeware like wget to do that. So that means one could use a freeware like wget to do something like that. Since PGN is only ASCII, it's possible to append PGNs by simply copying them. And there is a command-line tool that goes with Scid (pgnscid.exe), that can convert a PGN to Scid automagically.

All one needs to do is to type a few commands. If someone needs it, I could inquire and come back with something like a script, i.e. a simple batch file to use with Scid.

Comment

Re: Scid, the Ultimate Chess Freeware

I wasn't aware of wget. It looks like a very neat tool. Thanks!

Vlad

Comment

Mark Crowter says No

After a bit of discussion, the Scid's community came up with this kinda official answer:

Ok, here's how things go:

- It's technically feasible
            - It's even trivial

BUT: we will not do it.

Why?

For the communities sake.

I just talked with Mark about the issue. Point is, as always, money. TWIC is financed by a sponsorship based on advertisments from various interested parties. From this follows, the site needs real visitors for the sponsor to invest money and thus keep the site alive. Endangering this is of course out of question.

Therefore, Mark told me that he does not want us to automatise the PGN download, at the moment. But he also told me that we should stay in touch, even about the issue, as there might some day be a solution to it and than he'd happily see Scid integrating TWIC.
            This means that what I was saying about Chessdb is founded. They should not have done it. Shame on them.

Comment

Working...
            X