Shirov starts well at Corus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirov starts well at Corus

Maybe Shirov is creating the stuff of his upcoming lectures in Ontario. He won a nice game with Black against Leko in the opening round. I guess Ritchie's outreach can only do so much for a player's results though - Nigel Short fell prey to Dutch star Loek van Wely. The other 5 games were drawn.

I shared a cab in Moscow with Loek and his lovely wife in 2005 prior to the World Cup. The running joke at the tournament was that Loek could get all the invitations he wanted as long as his wife joined him. Her name escapes me, but I remember that she was a decent player - 1900 or so.

A good start for the 3 local players in the A group - Tiviakov drew Carlsen and Jan Smeets drew with Nakamura. Kudos to Nakamura for playing back to back events in January. I hope he has enough in the tank for this 13 rounder!

The B group features Wesley So of World Cup fame. He defended an exchange down against Arkady Naiditsch of Germany. Another young star, Anish Giri of the Netherlands won a lively game against India's number 2 Pentala Harikrishna. Sharing Giri's 1993 birth year is Parimarjan from India. He drew with Englands David Howell (pronounced Hal in some circles).

American youth star Ray Robson is the third seed in the C group. This section has the biggest range of ratings. China's Li Chao tops the field at 2601 and a local player Sjoerd Plukkel is the 14th player at 2279.

Plenty of results to process over the next 2 weeks.

Re: Shirov starts well at Corus

Alexei Shirov has now won his first three games to remain in the lead. Ten rounds to go, though. Carlsen is lurking with Kramnik and Anand.
    Nigel Short lost to Nakamura today which gives him 1/2 point so far.

Comment

Working...
    X