corus Rd 4: Nakamura draws with Anand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corus Rd 4: Nakamura draws with Anand

Nakamura used the Dutch Leningrad in The Netherlands (!, the best place to play the Dutch is in Dutchland, lol ) to scratch the half point against the reigning world champion Viswanathan Anand!

This is a good result for Nakamura, especially with the Black pieces. Black was never in trouble, even after Anand played 6.b4 instead of the normal 6.c4. Nakamura's simplification led to a position where it is difficult to create imbalance on the position.

Could White had a little better chances for advantage with 26.Qc3 (by controlling the c file) , instead of exchanging queens with 26. Qb5?

Nakamura's use of pins with Qb2 and Rfd8 is noted in this game.

I believe Anand was not really looking for a win otherwise he would have used the Staunton gambit, with 2.e4! or 2.g4!? gambit.

Well, it is time to taste my favorite Dutch treats - the Harring (fermented fish with onions) and the kibbelingen (fried fish) !!
    Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Tuesday, 19th January, 2010, 12:13 PM.

Re: corus Rd 4: Nakamura draws with Anand

Other games are pretty exciting

Shirov makes a crazy bishop sac and will be lucky to get a draw out of the game againsts Smeets.
    - Smeets blunders on move 33 and 36 to give Shirov the win! Time trouble blunders, 4-0 for Shirov

Magnus looks human today and will most likely draw against Short.
    - well played by Short, got a draw against Carlsen.

Kramnik looks to lose against Tiviakov with white! I can't see how Kramnik can even draw this one.
    - spoke too soon! Tiviakov makes two blunders and allows Kramnik to draw! Time trouble errors
    Last edited by Jason Lohner; Tuesday, 19th January, 2010, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Re: corus Rd 4: Nakamura draws with Anand

Shirov is crazy alright - he tossed another ex before forcing Smeets' resignation!

Short drew using the Scandinavian(!) on his Norse opponent.

Ray Robson is playing well in the C group. Wesley So has 4 draws in B.

Comment

Re: Corus Rd 4: Nakamura draws with Anand

I believe Smeets Rcd8 was not accurate...how about Rf5!! immediately...

Shirov is on a roll. But the real test on his preparations (see his interview with Bianca Muhren) will be when he takes on the giants Carlsen, Anand, Kramnik, Ivanchuk.

We take particular interest in the games of Shirov because he is giving a 25 board simul at my club - the Scarborough Chess Club - the friendly chess club - where WIM Yuanling (future board 1 of the Canadian Women Olympiad Team) is locking horns - on Feb 25.

It so happens that i am one of the 25 players who will sit opposit Shirov.

We have moved to a very nice and comfortable location, thanks to our club President Maurice Smith !!

Comment

Re: Corus Rd 4: Nakamura draws with Anand

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post

Shirov is on a roll. But the real test on his preparations (see his interview with Bianca Muhren) will be when he takes on the giants Carlsen, Anand, Kramnik, Ivanchuk.

these are the games he has to win but one of those he beat is leko, who is no slouch...with the roll he is on i bet that anand and kramnik (at least) will aim to steer for a quiet draw when they play

Comment

Working...
          X