Canadian Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Junior

Anybody know when the Canadian Junior will be? The World Junior's will be this August, earlier than usual, and therefore we probably have to hold it May or earlier. The fact that we haven't had a player in the previous two World Juniors is quite embarrassing, we need to change the trend. If there is no one who wants to run the event, then instead of waiting till last minute there should be some sort of criteria to pick the official representative who gets the hotel room + airfare. And in case some don't know, anyone can participate in the World Junior so the tournament isn't completely necessary. It's just frustrating the past few years I've been trying to play in our national Junior but it's typically announced last minute . I plan to play in the World's this year nevertheless, but I think the CFC needs to decide whether they want to fully support this dwindling tournament every year or dropping it altogether, as right now it only adds inconveniences to players and their schedules the way it's handled.

Re: Canadian Junior

who gets the hotel room + airfare
    Eric,

Hotel room (accomodation) is free for Canadian representative because the host federation pays for it. If no tournament will be held, there will not be any money for the airfare, or can be if is a sponsorhip ..let's say from Alberta Chess Federation.
    ________
    Lovely Wendie
    Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
      Eric,

Hotel room (accomodation) is free for Canadian representative because the host federation pays for it. If no tournament will be held, there will not be any money for the airfare, or can be if is a sponsorhip ..let's say from Alberta Chess Federation.
      Yes I understand that but it doesn't change what I'm saying. There still has to be a decision on who (both male and female) is entitled to the free food + room... it's saves an extra $1000 which is no small amount. As for airfare, the CFC has the excellent Pugi Fund which juniors can apply too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
        Yes I understand that but it doesn't change what I'm saying. There still has to be a decision on who (both male and female) is entitled to the free food + room... it's saves an extra $1000 which is no small amount. As for airfare, the CFC has the excellent Pugi Fund which juniors can apply too.

Hi Eric,

Originally Kalev Pugi did not expect this fund to be used for essential events such as the Canadian Junior. In those days he thought that was a given. He was trying to encourage participation by talented Canadian youth in other events.

However, today...we are where we are...

Have you noticed that the Quebec Junior this year will probably be the most prestigious Junior competition in the country with a first prize of $2,000:

Championnat junior du Québec 2010 (2010 Quebec Junior)

Organisé par la Fédération québécoise des échecs (Organized by the Quebec Chess Federation)

Date : 12, 13 et 14 mars 2010 (March 12-14, 2010)

Admissibilité : Les participants doivent avoir moins de 20 ans au 1er janvier 2010 et être résident du Québec depuis au moins un an en date du début du tournoi (12 mars) (under 20 years and a resident of Quebec since March 12 2009)

Horaire des parties : vendredi 19h et samedi et dimanche 10h et 15h
        1 seule section réservée aux résidents du Québec (Round times)

Lieu : Stade olympique, Regroupement Loisir Québec
        4545 Pierre-de-Coubertin (Métro Pie IX). (Site)

Frais d’inscription : 40$, 50$ (après le 8 mars 2010). ($40 in advance and $50 at the door)

Faire chèque ou mandat-postal à l’ordre de : Fédération québécoise des échecs
        et poster à :
        Fédération québécoise des échecs C.P. 1000, succursale M, Montréal H1V 3R2 (Make cheques payable to the QUebec Chess Federation)

Cadence : La cadence sera de 1h30 +30 secondes d’incrémentation. (Time Control)

Prix : Bourse de 2 500$ applicable sur des projets destinés à améliorer les aptitudes échiquéennes du jeune joueur (ex. : tournoi à l'extérieur du Québec, cours avec un Maitre ou Grand Maitre etc.) + trophées pour les 3 premières places. (Prizes: $2,500 which is applicable on projects which will improve a players chess skills - e.g. tournaments outside of Quebec, lessons with Grandmasters etc) plus 3 trophies for the top 3.

1e prix : 2 000 $; 2e prix 300 $; 3e prix 200 $
        + un prix de présence d’une valeur de 200 $ (Kit Kramnik)

Byes disponibles pour les rondes 1, 2 et 3 (maximum de 2 byes).Les byes doivent être demandés avant le début du tournoi

...at the end of the day...you gotta wanna!

Larry

Comment

Re: Canadian Junior - Any Information?

Hi Eric:

Since you were asking a question on CFC policy, I thought there was a better chance of getting a CFC executive to respond if I posted your post on the CFC Chess Forum, where more executive/governors view/post. I did post it for you, and this is the reply:

January 26, 2010, 12:03 AM
          Michael Barron
          CFC Youth Coordinator

Canadian Junior ?

I hope, Eric Hansen knows that at the CFC AGM 2009 in Edmonton no bids for Canadian Junior 2010 were presented, but Calgary Junior Chess Club organizers expressed their interest to organize this tournament.

Is Eric Hansen involved in its organization?

Does he know when the Canadian Junior will be?

Any other news from Calgary?

You may be best, if you want to dialogue with Michael further on this, to reply on the CFC Chess Forum, since I don't think Michael monitors this board very regularly, but he does the members' CFC Chess Forum.

Bob

Comment

At one point, the Calgary Junior Chess Club did express an interest to bid on the 2010 Canadian Junior. No bid was ever submitted to the CFC. At this point in time, I can assure you that there will be no bid by the CJCC for the 2010 Canadian Junior.

Comment

Just to mention that the tournament was made possible by the generous sponsorship of Pepsico foods (Frito-Lay and Quaker)

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                At one point, the Calgary Junior Chess Club did express an interest to bid on the 2010 Canadian Junior. No bid was ever submitted to the CFC. At this point in time, I can assure you that there will be no bid by the CJCC for the 2010 Canadian Junior.
                Hi there, two people have recently asked me behind the scenes to consider offering to run the Canadian Junior. For some reason, part of my brain had previously assumed that Calgary was the frontrunner, but from Tony's post last week (I was rarely online for a few days, sorry about that), it seems there are currently no plans for the 2010 event?

Would a recent organizer be interested in receiving a long curious phone call from me?! ;)

Aris Marghetis
                FIDE Arbiter
                Ottawa, Ontario

Comment

Hi Aris,

Hart House Chess Club is currently looking at the possibility of organizing it.
                  Either end of April or early May.
                  We'll return to this topic in a few days.

Alex Ferreira
                  Hart House Chess Club

Comment

Wonderful :) Two organizers are willing to make it, as the last year were two bids the last minute :D

If there are more possible dates, please consider to contact potential players to chose the best date.
                    CFC U20 TOP-30 (Top-50 at chess.ca > ratings > top lists )

Code:
                     #  Name  Location  Rating
                     1 Kovalyov, Anton        Verdun, QC           2638
                     2 Noritsyn, Nikolay      Richmond Hill, ON    2548
                     3 Hansen, Eric           Calgary, AB          2484
                     4 Panjwani, Raja         Kitchener, ON        2466
                     5 Quan, Zhe              Richmond Hill, ON    2462
                     6 Thavandiran, Shiyam    Toronto, ON          2460
                     7 Szalay, Karoly         Ottawa, ON           2356
                     8 Calugar, Arthur        Toronto, ON          2350
                     9 Martchenko, Alexander  Etobicoke, ON        2342
                    10 Jiang, Louie           Verdun, QC           2338
                    11 Yuan, Yuanling         Toronto, ON          2324
                    12 Kaminski, Victor       Calgary, AB          2315
                    13 Xiong, Jerry           Kanata, ON           2304
                    14 Vincent, Trevor        Winnipeg, MB         2304
                    15 MacKinnon, Keith       North Battleford, SK 2290
                    16 Chung, Kevin           Mississauga, ON      2258
                    17 Qin, Zi Yi (Joey)      Nepean, ON           2248
                    18 Kraiouchkine, Nikita   Granby, QC           2230
                    19 Sundar, Avinaash       Waterloo, ON         2228
                    20 Kaminski, Thomas       Calgary, AB          2226
                    21 Davies, Noam           Vancouver, BC        2212
                    22 Rakov, Pavel           Toronto, ON          2212
                    23 Gibson, Kevin          West Lorne, ON       2201
                    24 Marinkovic, Mate       Ottawa, ON           2198
                    25 Gusev, Nikita          Richmond Hill, ON    2190
                    26 Me, Kevin              Saskatoon, SK        2189
                    27 Araullo, Paolo                  , MB        2187
                    28 Wang, Richard          Edmonton, AB         2154
                    29 Peng, Bill             Scarborough, ON      2138
                    30 Kleinman, Michael      Toronto, ON          2129

Comment

Note that Anton Kovalyov is still registered with Argentina as far as FIDE is concerned (unless this has changed very recently).

1) Would he (and others in a similar situation) be permitted to play in the Canadian Junior?
                      2) If so - what if he won? Or do we consider the highest-scoring "Canadian" the winner?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        Wonderful :) Two organizers are willing to make it, as the last year were two bids the last minute :D

If there are more possible dates, please consider to contact potential players to chose the best date.
                        CFC U20 TOP-30 (Top-50 at chess.ca > ratings > top lists )

Code:
                         #  Name  Location  Rating
                         1 Kovalyov, Anton        Verdun, QC           2638
                         2 Noritsyn, Nikolay      Richmond Hill, ON    2548
                         3 Hansen, Eric           Calgary, AB          2484
                         4 Panjwani, Raja         Kitchener, ON        2466
                         5 Quan, Zhe              Richmond Hill, ON    2462
                         6 Thavandiran, Shiyam    Toronto, ON          2460
                         7 Szalay, Karoly         Ottawa, ON           2356
                         8 Calugar, Arthur        Toronto, ON          2350
                         9 Martchenko, Alexander  Etobicoke, ON        2342
                        10 Jiang, Louie           Verdun, QC           2338
                        11 Yuan, Yuanling         Toronto, ON          2324
                        12 Kaminski, Victor       Calgary, AB          2315
                        13 Xiong, Jerry           Kanata, ON           2304
                        14 Vincent, Trevor        Winnipeg, MB         2304
                        15 MacKinnon, Keith       North Battleford, SK 2290
                        16 Chung, Kevin           Mississauga, ON      2258
                        17 Qin, Zi Yi (Joey)      Nepean, ON           2248
                        18 Kraiouchkine, Nikita   Granby, QC           2230
                        19 Sundar, Avinaash       Waterloo, ON         2228
                        20 Kaminski, Thomas       Calgary, AB          2226
                        21 Davies, Noam           Vancouver, BC        2212
                        22 Rakov, Pavel           Toronto, ON          2212
                        23 Gibson, Kevin          West Lorne, ON       2201
                        24 Marinkovic, Mate       Ottawa, ON           2198
                        25 Gusev, Nikita          Richmond Hill, ON    2190
                        26 Me, Kevin              Saskatoon, SK        2189
                        27 Araullo, Paolo                  , MB        2187
                        28 Wang, Richard          Edmonton, AB         2154
                        29 Peng, Bill             Scarborough, ON      2138
                        30 Kleinman, Michael      Toronto, ON          2129
                        Do not forget to invite also the young player Yuanchen. If this tournament will be held in the later part of this year, there is a strong possibility that a junior player rated 2656 might play and give everyone else a run for the top honors.
                        Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Thursday, 4th February, 2010, 01:31 AM. Reason: Samsonkin is already 20 years old (1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
                          Do not forget to invite also the young player Yuanchen. If this tournament will be held in the later part of this year, there is a strong possibility that a junior player rated 2656 might play and give everyone else a run for the top honors.
                          Are you hinting that Wesley So is coming to Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                            Note that Anton Kovalyov is still registered with Argentina as far as FIDE is concerned (unless this has changed very recently).

1) Would he (and others in a similar situation) be permitted to play in the Canadian Junior?
                            2) If so - what if he won? Or do we consider the highest-scoring "Canadian" the winner?
                            There was similar case with A.Samsonkin in 2008 - he played, he won, and he could not participate in World Junior... (I think the reason was the late submission for a federation change registration, or not long enough period since a federation change or maybe smth different).
                            L.Gerzhoy (2007) had similar problems but he managed to play one or two games at the WJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
                              Do not forget to invite also the young player Yuanchen..
                              In the last years they were open swiss tournaments without any limitations for U20, and probably without official personal invitations - only tournament announcements.

Comment

Working...
                              X