North America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North America?

As you may know, the Chess'n Math Association is organizing the 2010 North American Youth Championship in Montreal from August 16-18, 2010. We should be able to finalize details in the next few days (I hope :).

Because I am not a geography buff, I googled "countries in Noth America" and was surprised to see the list...

List of North American countries and territories
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

This is an alphabetical list of North American countries and territories, including both sovereign states and dependent territories. This list considers "North America" to be the continent and associated islands north of the Panama-Colombia border, which is the most inclusive definition in common use. North America is the northern continent of the Americas,[1] situated in the Earth's northern hemisphere and almost totally in the western hemisphere. It is bordered on the north by the Arctic Ocean, on the east by the North Atlantic Ocean, on the southeast by the Caribbean Sea, and on the west by the North Pacific Ocean; South America lies to the southeast.

Anguilla [2]
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Aruba [3][4]
    Bahamas
    Barbados
    Belize
    Bermuda [2]
    British Virgin Islands [2]
    Canada
    Cayman Islands[2]
    Clipperton Island [5]
    Costa Rica
    Cuba
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    El Salvador
    Greenland [6]
    Grenada
    Guadeloupe [7]
    Guatemala
    Haiti
    Honduras
    Isla Aves[8]
    Jamaica
    Martinique [7]
    Mexico
    Montserrat [2]
    Navassa Island [9]
    Netherlands Antilles [3][10]
    Nicaragua
    Panama
    Puerto Rico [11]
    Saint Barthélemy [5]
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Saint Lucia
    Saint Martin [5]
    Saint Pierre and Miquelon [5]
    Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    San Andrés y Providencia[12]
    Trinidad and Tobago [4]
    Turks and Caicos Islands [2]
    United States
    United States Virgin Islands [11]

Okay well...that is totally impressive! Obviously FIDE may not have the same definition. I Just spoke with Hal Bond and we will see what the potential is here :)

Larry

Re: North America?

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    As you may know, the Chess'n Math Association is organizing the 2010 North American Youth Championship in Montreal from August 16-18, 2010. We should be able to finalize details in the next few days (I hope :).

Because I am not a geography buff, I googled "countries in Noth America" and was surprised to see the list...

List of North American countries and territories
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

This is an alphabetical list of North American countries and territories, including both sovereign states and dependent territories. This list considers "North America" to be the continent and associated islands north of the Panama-Colombia border, which is the most inclusive definition in common use. North America is the northern continent of the Americas,[1] situated in the Earth's northern hemisphere and almost totally in the western hemisphere. It is bordered on the north by the Arctic Ocean, on the east by the North Atlantic Ocean, on the southeast by the Caribbean Sea, and on the west by the North Pacific Ocean; South America lies to the southeast.

Anguilla [2]
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Aruba [3][4]
    Bahamas
    Barbados
    Belize
    Bermuda [2]
    British Virgin Islands [2]
    Canada
    Cayman Islands[2]
    Clipperton Island [5]
    Costa Rica
    Cuba
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    El Salvador
    Greenland [6]
    Grenada
    Guadeloupe [7]
    Guatemala
    Haiti
    Honduras
    Isla Aves[8]
    Jamaica
    Martinique [7]
    Mexico
    Montserrat [2]
    Navassa Island [9]
    Netherlands Antilles [3][10]
    Nicaragua
    Panama
    Puerto Rico [11]
    Saint Barthélemy [5]
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Saint Lucia
    Saint Martin [5]
    Saint Pierre and Miquelon [5]
    Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    San Andrés y Providencia[12]
    Trinidad and Tobago [4]
    Turks and Caicos Islands [2]
    United States
    United States Virgin Islands [11]

Okay well...that is totally impressive! Obviously FIDE may not have the same definition. I Just spoke with Hal Bond and we will see what the potential is here :)

Larry
    Lots of countries indeed. I do know that there is a Central American and Caribbean Youth championship.... so that pretty much takes all of the countries away as FIDE considers them part of the zone Central America and Caribbean. When I talked to the Mexico organizers last year they said it was exclusive to Canada, USA, and Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
      Lots of countries indeed. I do know that there is a Central American and Caribbean Youth championship.... so that pretty much takes all of the countries away as FIDE considers them part of the zone Central America and Caribbean. When I talked to the Mexico organizers last year they said it was exclusive to Canada, USA, and Mexico.
      I agree with Eric. Larry's list is what you call "North America" if the only alternative is "South America".

If you aren't confused enough, consider this. In Mexico, citizens of the United States (but not of Canada, nor of Mexico) of America are called "Norteamericanos". They used to refer to the same people, sometimes sardonically, as "nuestros primos" -- "our cousins".

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
        I agree with Eric. Larry's list is what you call "North America" if the only alternative is "South America".

If you aren't confused enough, consider this. In Mexico, citizens of the United States (but not of Canada, nor of Mexico) of America are called "Norteamericanos". They used to refer to the same people, sometimes sardonically, as "nuestros primos" -- "our cousins".
        Thanks Jonathan and Eric!

But heck...I would love to have players at our event from Cuba, Haiti...and more...this would make the event very festive (and more expensive for us LOL)!

If you don't ask... :)

Larry

Comment

I think most of Central American is part of the North America continent with only 1 in South America.

Isn't the Panama Canal the dividing line for the Americas? I'm not sure.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The definition of "North America" has traditionally been Canada+USA+Mexico. Where does that leave St. Pierre and Miquelon? Part of France, since it's considered a French "department" and it uses the Euro? And Greenland?

The CIA Factbook https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ook/index.html shows them all as part of North America - plus Bermuda and Clipperton Island (an uninhabited French possession off the SW coast of Mexico). Central America is all the countries and islands not included in the above, nor in South America (the mainland connecting to the south of Panama - as well as the Falkland Islands and South Georgia).

(and the full name of Mexico is "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" -another group of states that are united in North America :-) )

Comment

Well, given that the Island I live on is counted as part of NA, why would it be illogical to consider other costal islands as well?

It would surely be nonsensical to believe that North America somehow ends at the souther border of Mexico. Look at a map! If the southern states of Mexico are in NA, then so are Guatamala and Belize at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                The definition of "North America" has traditionally been Canada+USA+Mexico. Where does that leave St. Pierre and Miquelon? Part of France, since it's considered a French "department" and it uses the Euro? And Greenland?

The CIA Factbook https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ook/index.html shows them all as part of North America - plus Bermuda and Clipperton Island (an uninhabited French possession off the SW coast of Mexico). Central America is all the countries and islands not included in the above, nor in South America (the mainland connecting to the south of Panama - as well as the Falkland Islands and South Georgia).

(and the full name of Mexico is "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" -another group of states that are united in North America :-) )
                Hi Hugh,

I was thinking more of continental North America. St. Pierre and Miquelon is probably not part of the North American continent but is just off the Grand Banks of Newfoundland. Of course, NFLD is also an island as is PEI. For that matter, parts of Newfoundland like Random Island and Belle Isle are also not attached. I think there's now a bridge to Random Island but it used to be accessable only by boat for the people who lived there.

I think in the Arctic they are now checking out the continental shelves underwater to decide who owns what. The oil and gas rights and minerals underwater are at stake for the different nations.

Is the CIA stuff mainly political divisions for their own use?
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Larry,

Looking at the FIDE Calander
                  http://www.fide.com/calendar

Central America and Caribbean Youth Championships 2010
                  Cartagena, Colombia
                  21-May-2010 to 30-May-2010

South America Youth Championships 2010
                  Sucre, Bolivia
                  21-May-2010 to 30-May-2010 hmm same time

Pan American Youth Championships 2010
                  Novo Hamburgo, Brazil
                  1-Aug-2010 to 11-Aug-2010

So it appears that the North American Youth Championship is only Canada, USA, and Mexico

Comment

Larry wrote:

North American Youth Championship in Montreal from August 16-18, 2010
                    David wrote:

Pan American Youth Championships 2010
                    Novo Hamburgo, Brazil
                    1-Aug-2010 to 11-Aug-2010

So - the North American Youth starts a few days after the Pan-Am Youth ends?

Comment

Hello Larry,

FYI: "This tournament is open to players from Bermuda, Canada, the United States, and Mexico. "

You can confirm this with Mr. Vega (FIDE Americas).

Andrei
                      ________
                      Ipad Cases
                      Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                        Hello Larry,

FYI: "This tournament is open to players from Bermuda, Canada, the United States, and Mexico. "

You can confirm this with Mr. Vega (FIDE Americas).

Andrei
                        Hi Andrei,

Hal Bond asked Mr. Vega.

He said that he would allow countries on the list I gave above, to take part in the North American event, provided their youngsters did not take part in the event where they usually play. Also, he advised us that the winners of the 2010 North American Youth Championship will qualify for the 2011 Pan American Youth Championship.

If all goes well, I should be announcing more details on the North American event in the next 48 hours.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                          Hi Andrei,

Also, he advised us that the winners of the 2010 North American Youth Championship will qualify for the 2011 Pan American Youth Championship.

Larry

Anyone is allowed to play in the Pan American Youth Championship, so what exactly does 'qualify' mean? If it means they get free room + board, then I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                            Anyone is allowed to play in the Pan American Youth Championship, so what exactly does 'qualify' mean? If it means they get free room + board, then I understand.
                            Yes, that is what it means. I will also guess that you can be the Canadian representative for U18B based on your last result at CYCC 2009.
                            ________
                            Bondage Fantasy
                            Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X