Canadian Closed Championship Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Closed Championship Date

I understand that no plans currently exist in regard to this year's potential Canadian Championship; however, for future reference if someone does decide to organize this event, it would be much appreciated if the July 28-Aug 2 dates would be avoided as I am planning to organize the 5th Edmonton International on those dates.

Re: Canadian Closed Championship Date

Please note that the Quebec Open will be held from July 24 to July 31 2009, if we could avoid scheduling conflicts, we could collaborate....

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Poulin View Post
      Please note that the Quebec Open will be held from July 24 to July 31 2009, if we could avoid scheduling conflicts, we could collaborate....
      That might be hard for us to change that date, as we try to specifically use that weekend since its a long weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
        That might be hard for us to change that date, as we try to specifically use that weekend since its a long weekend.
        In a country like Canada where there are hardly any norm opportunities, it would be really sad to see another tournament conflict in the summer! We've had so many already, and from what I've seen there is a lot of space in the summer still (mainly August). Of course, waiting for the Closed must be annoying to plan for.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
          In a country like Canada where there are hardly any norm opportunities, it would be really sad to see another tournament conflict in the summer! We've had so many already, and from what I've seen there is a lot of space in the summer still (mainly August). Of course, waiting for the Closed must be annoying to plan for.
          Yes, that is certainly not my intention to conflict with other major Canadian events; however, in most years this conflict won't happen, as typically the Quebec Open ends a week earlier. At the same time this weekend is almost perfectly situated for an annual event in Alberta as it doesn't conflict with any other major events in Alberta or Western Canada while allowing people to come to Edmonton when the weather is at its best. As to the rest of August, it really doesn't seem all that open, for example: there will be a major event in Quebec in mid-August with the North American Youth Festival taking place August 16-18 and I imagine that the Closed will take place somewhere around those dates. Also, I wouldn't want to put the International at the end of August because that will conflict with the Lloydminster Labour day event which will feature Nakamura.

Unfortunately, the Canadian Closed remains the ugly duckling of Canadian summer tour, as every year there is so much uncertainty as to the dates, location and even whether the tournament will even take place at all. Hopefully, this will come to a change.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why is the Quebec Open starting a week later that last year? Doesn't it typically run during the third week in July?

Since the first Monday in August is not a civic holiday in Quebec, I cannot see the point of changing the schedule, causing it to overlap a long-weekend in many other provinces.
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

To avoid conflict with the Canadian Open. Last year the last week-end of the Canadian Open overlapped the first week-end of the Quebec Open, not the best situation for the players who want to play both.
              This year, even though we did not know the date of the Canadian Open when we chose our date, (we decide on a date almost a year in advance), we set it up for the second week of the construction holiday rather than the first, hoping that the Canadian Open would remain on the same date. This turned out to be a good move this year as there is no overlap between the COQ and the CO, but created a conflict with the civic holiday….
              If the CFC is willing to cast in stone the dates of its major tournaments, the FQE is willing to do the same for its COQ, as long as the COQ is held during the two weeks of the construction holiday, and this for the benefits of the players. This could also be beneficial to the organisers as we could join forces to invite foreign players etc…
              Last edited by Marc Poulin; Saturday, 30th January, 2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

To avoid conflict with the Canadian Open.
                I can't see the problem with a conflict. It seems a player will choose the event where he thinks he has a better chance to win a prize or a title norm.

Two events at different times means the same players can win the prizes. Two events at the same time means different players will win the prizes.

If I recall correctly, a few years ago the Canadian Open and the Western Canadian Open were at the same time. Probably players from outside Canada won both events.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

There are players who want to play both, why not make this possible if we can?

Comment

Gary, conflicts with canadian open and quebec open isn't about foreigners winning prizes but about people getting norms. Obviously having two chances to get norms is better than one and if the same guy wins prizes in both events good for him too.
                    Shameless self-promotion on display here
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                      Gary, conflicts with canadian open and quebec open isn't about foreigners winning prizes but about people getting norms. Obviously having two chances to get norms is better than one and if the same guy wins prizes in both events good for him too.
                      Well said.

Tournaments in Canada offering norm opportunities should not overlap in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                        Marc was writing about conflicting with the Canadian Open. How many single section Canadian Opens of only 9 rounds have produced IM or GM norms?

It seem to me to get norms from this you would need the double accelerated pairing and the event would have to be hand paired.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          I can't see the problem with a conflict. It seems a player will choose the event where he thinks he has a better chance to win a prize or a title norm.
                          You are not a candidate for any kind of norm so I don't see why your opinion about this should be relevant. If one of our FMs is trying to get the IM title, I say don't put unnecessary obstacles in his way. Two norm opportunities are better than one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                            You are not a candidate for any kind of norm so I don't see why your opinion about this should be relevant. If one of our FMs is trying to get the IM title, I say don't put unnecessary obstacles in his way. Two norm opportunities are better than one.
                            I can't think of a single Canadian who has made an IM or GM norm from a ONE SECTION, Canadian Open, of only NINE ROUNDS with Swiss Pairings. Probably you can supply us with many or at least one name.

When I was "norm hunting" for my CC titles, I played in events where I had a reasonable chance of making a norm and not wasting my time with randomly paired open events. High category Round Robin events is where I played.

Opportunities and invitations were no problem. There were a lot of players who wanted to give me a chess lesson. Something to do with my message writing style.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              I can't think of a single Canadian who has made an IM or GM norm from a ONE SECTION, Canadian Open, of only NINE ROUNDS with Swiss Pairings. Probably you can supply us with many or at least one name.

When I was "norm hunting" for my CC titles, I played in events where I had a reasonable chance of making a norm and not wasting my time with randomly paired open events. High category Round Robin events is where I played.

Opportunities and invitations were no problem. There were a lot of players who wanted to give me a chess lesson. Something to do with my message writing style.

Well I'm not sure whether or not the CO this year will be accelerated, but when I lost to Noritsyn in the 9th round of the 2007 Canadian Open, he made an IM norm. That's a fairly recent 9 game norm in a swiss open.

Comment

Working...
                              X