Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Do Not Call Registry!

Sorry, not chess related, but.......

Has anybody else noticed they are getting more telemarketing calls in recent months despite being on the National Do Not Call Registry List?

I signed up in October 2008, and I did notice a drop off of calls. However, recently these annoying calls seem to be on the rise again. So I decided to check if my number was still on the list. Well, the first website I found, it looked official and all, but it didn't think 905 was a real area code!! It turned out to be a bogus site. :o After I found the real site, yup, I am still on the list until 2013.:)

But is the registry working? Some articles suggest a lack of policing, with no fines imposed on abusers, and some suggest all the telemarketers are calling from the USA!

Should I bother taking down names and reporting them to the authorities?

Re: National Do Not Call Registry!

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    In case you take a call, in the first moment remind them that your number is on the do-not-call list. It really helps to end the call(s).

Comment

Has anybody else noticed they are getting more telemarketing calls in recent months despite being on the National Do Not Call Registry List?....

some suggest all the telemarketers are calling from the USA!
      The USCF must be really desperate for new members!

Perhaps the CFC should start cold-calling people in the U.S.?
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

the ultimate solution is to be unlisted. When we lived in Ottawa, we got 2-3 telemarketer calls a night. When we moved to BC, we took an unlisted number and if a company demands a phone number, I give them my cell which is always turned off. Now we only get calls that we actually want to receive.

The Do Not Call list only works with companies that try to follow the law. And, there are any number of exemptions for charities, political groups etc. Better that they don't know your phone number at all. And how many of your friends look your phone number up in the book?

Comment

I don't see what difference an unlisted number would make. Telemarketers now have automatic dialers with recorded messages playing when someone answers. They will just go through a sequence of numbers (or maybe random numbers) - listed or not.

Comment

Are you sure that it was telemarketing? In other words were they a company that was trying to sell you something and with which you had no dealings in the past 12 months? If not than they do not have to follow the National Do Not Call registry.

Has anybody else noticed they are getting more telemarketing calls in recent months despite being on the National Do Not Call Registry List?

I signed up in October 2008, and I did notice a drop off of calls. However, recently these annoying calls seem to be on the rise again. So I decided to check if my number was still on the list. Well, the first website I found, it looked official and all, but it didn't think 905 was a real area code!! It turned out to be a bogus site. :o After I found the real site, yup, I am still on the list until 2013.:)

But is the registry working? Some articles suggest a lack of policing, with no fines imposed on abusers, and some suggest all the telemarketers are calling from the USA!

Comment

I found this great blog article explaining some of the problems:

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4449/125/

With so many loopholes, and no enforcement, the whole thing is a farce. I have found that asking them to stop calling is a waste of time. Sometimes I tell them to wait while I answer the door, then I just lay the phone down on the table and wait to see how long until they hang up.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                In case you take a call, in the first moment remind them that your number is on the do-not-call list. It really helps to end the call(s).
                I also recently received increasing volumes of telemarketer calls. While most of them originated from Canada, there are some of them coming outside Canada.

International callers outside Canada, in my understandin of the National DO Not Call Registry, are not obligated to respect this registry. Example- calls from Texas offerin me discounted vacations; calls from other countries offering cheap fliht tickets and travel tours. I get plenty of offers.

The one thing which makes me wonder is where they ot my number and my name. I have listed all my telephone numbers under my wife's name.

So does Canada have the right to go after these international telemarketers?

Comment

Hi Bob G.
                  What I do is calmly ask the person talking if they have a Credit Card?
                  They ask Why and then I say
                  "I'm a small business owner and I require your Credit Card and Expiry Date in order to charge you for my time to listen to you"
                  The call usually ends and I never get a call from that telemarketing company again. Funny thing is I am a Small Business Owner
                  Try it you might like it. I know I do.:)

Comment

Personally, I don't answer my phone if I don't recognise the number. If people wanna "chat it up" then they can leave a message... Incidentally, I have a weird voicemail message.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                      Incidentally, I have a weird voicemail message.
                      Me too. I taped Beware snarling and barking. My wife didn't like it.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        I don't see what difference an unlisted number would make. Telemarketers now have automatic dialers with recorded messages playing when someone answers. They will just go through a sequence of numbers (or maybe random numbers) - listed or not.
                        well, that's a theory but the fact is, I don't get telemarketer calls, automated or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          Me too. I taped Beware snarling and barking. My wife didn't like it.
                          He's telling you it's time for another Depression thread.
                          Only the rushing is heard...
                          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

[QUOTE=Roger Patterson;19189]the ultimate solution is to be unlisted./QUOTE]

Oh, if it were only that simple! We've been unlisted for 20 years. The first 16 years were OK, but when we moved from the Island to the Mainland in 2006, the computer telemarketing started with a vengeance and has never let up. What gets me is that if you answer the call, there's never anyone there! But that doesn't stop them from calling back... over and over again. And yes: we're on the national DNC list. Some difference that makes... :(

Comment

What gets me is that if you answer the call, there's never anyone there!
                              When you say "Hello" to a telemarketer - you often hear nothing at the other end of the line until you say "Hello" a second time. They want to verify that it's not voicemail that they are talking to. As soon as they hear the second "Hello" - they know it's a human at the other end.

Hang up right away if there is no immediate response to an initial "Hello".

Comment

Working...
                              X