Am I the only one that plays the Hammerschleich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one that plays the Hammerschleich?

Has everyone heard of the Hammerschleich? It is not as unsound a chess opening as it first appears to be...

Re: Am I the only one that plays the Hammerschleich?

I doubt anyone has heard of the Hammerschleich. I suspect a few people may have heard of the Hammerschlag, though. ;-)
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
      Has everyone heard of the Hammerschleich? It is not as unsound a chess opening as it first appears to be...
      Can I buy a vowel? Or at least some moves to look at?
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

What the hell's that...

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          Can I buy a vowel? Or at least some moves to look at?
          Looks like the translation is "ClimateGate".

Moves seem to be as White, 1. f3 and 2. Kf2, as Black 1. f6 and 2. Kf7
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
            Looks like the translation is "ClimateGate".

Moves seem to be as White, 1. f3 and 2. Kf2, as Black 1. f6 and 2. Kf7
            This opening seems to lead to strong CO2 concentrations, due to heavy breathing, high body surface temperatures, and melting of the frozen icecaps between the ears.
            Last edited by Larry Bevand; Wednesday, 10th February, 2010, 01:21 AM. Reason: personal attack
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

After 1. f3 your opponent thinks you are a patzer (or Gary)
              After 2. Kf2 your opponent thinks you have lost your marbles (or are Vlad)
              After you win in 20 moves he is mad as hell as he thinks you are mocking him.

Comment

many many years ago (maybe a decade ago) i played a thematic correspondence tournament in the Hammerschlag. never played it again (on either side) :)

Comment

Also sometimes known as the Lesser Bird's Opening. I think GM Reuben Fine fooled around with it a bit when he was in high school in the 1920s. Fine was dusting pretty much everybody his age in those days! :) :) :)

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                    Also sometimes known as the Lesser Bird's Opening. I think GM Reuben Fine fooled around with it a bit when he was in high school in the 1920s. Fine was dusting pretty much everybody his age in those days! :) :) :)
                    I remember watching Suttles beating everyone at speed chess with 1. h4 in one of the B.C. High School championships. Compared to 1. f3 2. Kf2 that's nearly sound.

There was an expert whose name I forget who could beat me pretty reliably with 1. f2 and 2. f3 back in Toronto in the late sixties, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                      I remember watching Suttles beating everyone at speed chess with 1. h4 in one of the B.C. High School championships. Compared to 1. f3 2. Kf2 that's nearly sound.
                      Later, say circa 1970, Suttles also played 1.f3 and 2.Kf2 in Blitz. Sometimes he'd continue g3 Kg2 h3 Rh2 Kh1 and possibly connect the rooooooks by putting the other pawns on the 3rd rank and Ra1-a2. I confess that I've done the same, in meaningless Blitz games. One unrated server game went 1.f3 d5 2.Kf2 Resigns!!

Another Suttles idea was to connect the rooks after advancing the Rook-pawns. Sometimes Ra1-a4-h4.

Vlad Dobrich liked to put his K on f2 in Progressive Chess (Scotch Chess) for two reasons: 1. with lots of breathing room for the K, it was difficult for the opponent to checkmate; 2. since check ends a sequence in Progressive, it inhibited a lot of natural attacks. It seemed to work for him. A brilliant idea, if it works!

Maybe 2a: because of where the king is, it's difficult for Black to promote a pawn at g1, f1, or e1.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                        1.f3 and 2.Kf2 in Blitz.
                        Almost 10 years ago, GM N.Short announced that he played with Bobby Fischer. The mysterious player have used weird openings. One of them was this f3 Kf2 Ke3 :)
                        e.g.,
                        (5) Guest71 - Beber (2827) [A00]
                        ICC 3 0 u Internet Chess Club, 24.04.2001
                        1.f3 d5 2.Kf2 Nf6 3.Ke3 e5 4.g4 Bc5+ 5.d4 Bxd4+ 6.Kd3 0-0 7.e3 Bb6 8.Kd2 e4 9.g5 Nfd7 10.f4 c5 11.Ke1 Nc6 12.Qxd5 Nb4 13.Qxe4 Re8 14.Qg2 Nf8 15.a3 Bg4 16.Nc3 c4 17.axb4 Bxe3 18.Bxe3 Rxe3+ 19.Be2 Bxe2 20.Ngxe2 Qe7 21.Nd5 Black resigns 1-0

Sources:
                        http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=11
                        http://www.chessbase.com/games/iccf1.htm

"ICC Fischer is a prankster using a fast computer and one or more of the top programs available today to create an urban legend that will stay alive in chess circles for a long time to come."

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post

There was an expert whose name I forget who could beat me pretty reliably with 1. f2 and 2. f3 back in Toronto in the late sixties, though.
                          f2 is not a move...

Comment

After 1. f3 your opponent thinks you are a patzer (or Gary)
                            After 2. Kf2 your opponent thinks you have lost your marbles (or are Vlad)
                            After you win in 20 moves he is mad as hell as he thinks you are mocking him.
                            Zombies have been known to play f6 and Kf7 during bughouse marathons...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                              f2 is not a move...
                              No, it's a typo. I am terrible at notation, especially algebraic since I converted from English notation about 30 years ago.

Was there something about my posting, typos and all, that you didn't understand? If not, then I suggest you look up the word "pedantry".

Comment

Working...
                              X