Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Junior 2010

Hello all,

Hart House Chess Club will be hosting this year's Canadian Junior Chess Championship! Canadian players born after Jan 1st, 1990 are eligible to play.

When: April 30th - May 4th (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue)
    Where: South Dining Room, 2nd Floor, Hart House, University of Toronto

Style: 9 round Swiss
    Rounds: 6pm Friday evening, 10am & 4pm Saturday, Sunday, Monday & Tuesday
    Time Control: All Rounds: 90 mins for 40 moves, 30 minutes added + 30 sec inc from move 1

Entry Fee: $150 in advance by April 26th

The 2010 Canadian Junior Champion will be Canada's representative at the 2010 World Junior which will take place in Poland in August.
    * The winner will be subsidized in the value of two thirds of entries fees to cover expenses at the World Junior *
    2nd place will be entitled to represent Canada at the 2010 Pan-American event.

Other Info: No Smoking. Equipment Provided.
    Organizer: Hart House Chess Club

Additional information including:
    - Registration details
    - Pre-registered list
    - Printable flyer
    Check our website: http://hhchess.sa.utoronto.ca/cj

Alex Ferreira
    Hart House Chess Club

Re: Canadian Junior 2010

hi Alex,

Could you check the private message box. (right upper corner) Thnx.
    egis

Comment

[up]

Alex, do you plan to host some side events (games) for visitors? I think, the idea implemented during the Post-Sec. was really good :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        [up]

Alex, do you plan to host some side events (games) for visitors? I think, the idea implemented during the Post-Sec. was really good :D
        Hi Egis,

No :-(
        The room we booked has a capacity of 30, which should be plenty to accommodate Canadian Junior participants based on previous years' statistics, but hardly enough room for extra games.

Alex F.

Comment

Re: Update

Hello all,

As of now there's a good handful of participants pre-registered for the Canadian Junior. Most of them have already paid in advance.

Please note that this is not the type of event where you'll be able to complete your registration at the door.
          Early registration ends April 26th, which is next Monday. Registrants on the 30th will not be paired for Round 1. To send a cheque, note that Canada Post takes a few days. There's an option online as well, from our website.
          http://hhchess.sa.utoronto.ca/cj

Several of the top local players are already registered, still looking forward to others and players coming from outside of Toronto.
          There are some reasonable deals at several UT residences starting May 1st. If you're planning to come from outside Toronto, it's worth checking out:
          http://www.fields.utoronto.ca/resour...ft_summer.html

For questions, comments or concerns please e-mail me at alex.ferreira@utoronto.ca

Looks like it'll be pretty competitive.

Thanks and see some of you there,

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Hi,

Today is the last day to join the Canadian Junior at base entry fee, which will go up starting tomorrow. On-site April 30 registrations will not be paired for Round 1.

Check out all the details here:
            http://hhchess.sa.utoronto.ca/cj

Drop me an e-mail about any questions at alex.ferreira@utoronto.ca

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Do I read correctly that the tournament has *six* Master-level players?! How many of them are not local?

Perhaps the Canadian Junior in future years should be part of the Canadian Closed itself. The highest scorer from the Closed who is a junior will have been considered to have won the title and gets the trip.
              Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Monday, 26th April, 2010, 10:12 AM. Reason: Missed a word
              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                Do I read correctly that the tournament has *six* Master-level players?! How many of them are not local?
                I think all players are local

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                Perhaps the Canadian Junior in future years should be part of the Canadian Closed itself.
                Currently the Closed is organized every second year, and not much interest to make it every year

Comment

Isn't Bindi Cheng from BC?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    I think all players are local

Currently the Closed is organized every second year, and not much interest to make it every year
                    So it's hardly a Canadian Junior, is it? It's not even an Ontario Junior.

So have the high scorer who is eligible for the junior of the succeeding year be declared the winner. Gives him over a year to prepare.
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Hi Tom,

It's true that its pretty much local players signed up.
                      In answer to Hugh's question, Bindi Cheng is indeed from BC but studying at University of Toronto. Toronto has many strong juniors and they'd surely compete against overall Canadian crowd.

We're still hoping out-of-towners will join today or before it all begins :)

In any case we plan on putting on a good show and have a very competitive tournament.

As for your idea about the Canadian Closed... it's interesting. Not quite sure of all the logistics, but it may be worth putting forth the suggestion directly to the CFC, or the next Closed / Zonal organizer. I am not sure who makes these types of decisions.

It's probably too late for this one, but suggestions are welcome on how to persuade juniors from across Canada to meet at the host location. Canada is a tough country to travel across.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                        It's probably too late for this one, but suggestions are welcome on how to persuade juniors from across Canada to meet at the host location. Alex Ferreira
                        The goal should be to attract the TOP juniors from across Canada if you want to call it a "canadian championship". For that you need to make it affordable for them (no entry fee, free or low cost accomodation, etc.) and to provide strong competition (no weak players). In other words it has to be an invitational (closed) tournament, not an open one.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                          It's probably too late for this one, but suggestions are welcome on how to persuade juniors from across Canada to meet at the host location.
                          Ten of twelve players in the 2009 Canadian Junior were from outside the host province.

It's not effing rocket science.
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

I agree with Jean Herbert.
                            How can a Cdn Jr be only from Ontario Participants.
                            The CFC has all this money in limbo and yet they cannot get National support to bring the best Juniors across Canada To compete.

Is the entry fee to show commitment? Really I feel this will be an Ontario Jr with a few extras. Not a true showing of Canada's Best Juniors playing for the championship.

Comment

No prestige.... bad dates, and announced a little late. To be fair though, the bad dates are a result of having the tournament organized so late that there isn't much to choose from. At least I hope that's the case, or maybe it's all according to plan to make it solely a Toronto Junior!?

:)

I also like Tom's idea with the Closed.

Comment

Working...
                              X