X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of the Shirov Simul at the RA Centre

You can find photos of the Shirov Simul at the RA Centre at this link

http://picasaweb.google.ca/trbouma/20100211ShirovSimul#

As I was leaving (around 9:15), the first game had concluded, which was a loss by Shirov to Pranav Sharma (CFC rating 1509) - a photo of the game score can be found here here. It was certainly an exciting and memorable victory for Pranav and which earned him a signed copy of Shirov's book presented by Shirov himself.

If anyone wishes a hi-res version of any of the photos, please send me an e-mail ( trbouma at gmail.com )with the filename (found in the photo info) and I will send to you.

Re: Photos of the Shirov Simul at the RA Centre

I presume the scoresheet should read 8. Qd2.

Comment

In the final position, it looks even, if hair-raising.

1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. g3 g6 4. Bg2 Bg7 5. d3 d6 6. Be3 Rb8 7. f4 b5 8. Qd2 b4 9. Nce2 e5 10. Nf3 Nge7 11. f5 gxf5 12. Bh6 Bxh6 13. Qxh6 fxe4 14. Ng5 exd3 15. Qg7 Rf8 16. Bxc6+

Comment

From the scoresheet, it appears as if Shirov played ...Rg8, not ...Rf8.

When I saw the lineup for the simul I figured Shirov would be very lucky to get 75%, assuming that the RA was open long enough for all the games to be completed - and that was also assuming Shirov had White in all games.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Thanks to Tim Bouma for the great pix.
          The scores of all games, including young Pranav Sharma's fine win (corrected for posterity), will be posted on the RA Club website by Stijn de Kerpel in the near future.
          BTW, Sharma is a pupil of the redoubtable Tom O'Donnell whose assessment of the results can be found above. It would be uncharitable to note that former world champion Garry Kasparov has been known to insist that no simul opponent may be rated over 2000 (at at least 12 or one-third of the opponents were last night). Also, Shirov alternated White and Black pieces. (Pranav's victory came with the White pieces in a Closed Sicilian.)
          A full report can be found in today's Ottawa Citizen. The event is referenced in the banner and described at some length in the City section, with the full report, with photo, on the front page carrying over to the back.

Comment

Ottawa Citizen: The Great One of chess:12-year-old Ottawa boy victorious as Latvian s

Here is the link to the Ottawa Citizen article:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Gr...430/story.html

Comment

12-year-old Ottawa boy victorious as Latvian superstar takes on 35 players

12-year-old Ottawa boy victorious as Latvian superstar takes on 35 players
              A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                From the scoresheet, it appears as if Shirov played ...Rg8, not ...Rf8.
                I'm sure you are right. Ghastly blunder by Shirov... I tell the children, always check for checks, always check for checks...

Comment

Hi Tim,

Nice pics! With your permission I would like to use a few of these for the newsletter.

Regards,

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                    Hi Tim,

Nice pics! With your permission I would like to use a few of these for the newsletter.

Regards,

Tony
                    Use any of the photos you wish. If you need hi-res versions, just e-mail me.

Comment

Working...
                    X