Shirov +25 =9 -2!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirov +25 =9 -2!!

A jet-lagged Alexei Shirov took on 36 strong opponents last night at the RA Chess Club in a dramatic exhibition featuring impressive performances and an astounding upset.
    The standard was remarkably high by simul standards: 6 masters (four players over 2300), another 8 experts (over 2000), and 14 A-class opponents (1800-2000). In an unusual gesture, Shirov alternated with White and Black pieces. Players came from Ottawa, Gatineau and as far away as Montreal and North Bay.
    Arriving direct from Latvia at 2 a.m. Thursday morning, Shirov met his match in the vaulted Canada Room of the RA Centre. The games started at 7 p.m. Thursday (1 a.m. Friday Riga time) and quickly produced a sensation. After only 90 minutes and 16 moves, the SuperGrandmaster turned over his King and put out his hand in defeat to the youngest player in the hall, 12-year-old Pranav Sharma. Shirov congratulated the young wizard and presented him with an autographed copy of his first book, the best-selling Fire on Board.
    From that point on, Shirov summoned his renowned concentration to battle his remaining 35 opponents, winning 25 games, drawing 9 and losing one more game, to RA Club Champion, 16-year-old Karoly Szalay. The last game ended just before 1 a.m. Friday morning.
    CFC Vice President Stijn de Kerpel, himself a master player who had gone down in flames against the SuperGM, pronounced himself delighted by the evening's performance. He noted that Alexei Shirov is undoubtedly the highest-ranked player ever to visit the Nation's Capital.
    The Ottawa Citizen referenced the event on its front-page banner with the caption "All the Right Moves: Ottawa boy topples chess grandmaster." The local front page carried an extensive report, with photograph, and the headline, "The Great One of Chess". "Pranav, who's been playing chess for about five years, said he was shocked by his victory," The Ottawa Citizen reported. "'First what went through my mind was how proud my dad would be and the second thing that went through my mind was how happy I was.'
    "Pranav said Shirov was gracious in defeat---the super grandmaster raised his hands, congratulated the victor and moved on to the next match."
    For the other winner, Karoly Szalay, it was another triumph in a long string of achievements, including the Canadian U16 championship and the RA Club championship. Szalay goes on to present his own simultaneous exhibition Saturday morning, with slightly less formidable opposition, at the Chess'n Math tournament at the RA Centre. Shirov will be presenting lectures at the RA Centre on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.
    There will be a full report in the upcoming CFC chess magazine and the games will be posted on-line at the RA Club website.

Re: Shirov +25 =9 -2!!

Sounds like a great event. Congrats Pranav and Karoly!

Comment

Here's a link to the "Citizen" story (with photo): (I just noticed now that the link was posted in another thread)

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Ot...648/story.html

Just curious - did Shirov know the ratings (in advance) of his simul opponents? Knowledge of the ratings can change the way an simul-giver will play against certain players.

Here is the 12-year old's victory.

Pranav Sharma vs. Alexei Shirov

Simultaneous exhibition, Ottawa, Feb. 11, 2010

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.g3 g6 4.Bg2 Bg7 5.d3 d6 6.Be3 Rb8 7.f4 b5 8.Qc1 b4

9.Nce2 e5 10.Nf3 Nge7 11.f5 gxf5 12.Bh6 Bxh6 13.Qxh6 fxe4 14.Ng5 exd3

15.Qg7 Rg8 16.Bxc6+ 1-0
      Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Friday, 12th February, 2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

This is a bit off topic, but why did Shirov have black in a simul?

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Here's a link to the "Citizen" story (with photo): (I just noticed now that the link was posted in another thread)

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Ot...648/story.html

Just curious - did Shirov know the ratings (in advance) of his simul opponents? Knowledge of the ratings can change the way an simul-giver will play against certain players.

Here is the 12-year old's victory.

Pranav Sharma vs. Alexei Shirov

Simultaneous exhibition, Ottawa, Feb. 11, 2010

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.g3 g6 4.Bg2 Bg7 5.d3 d6 6.Be3 Rb8 7.f4 b5 8.Qc1 b4

9.Nce2 e5 10.Nf3 Nge7 11.f5 gxf5 12.Bh6 Bxh6 13.Qxh6 fxe4 14.Ng5 exd3

15.Qg7 Rg8 16.Bxc6+ 1-0

Comment

I was told by the organizers (Gordon and Stijn) that Shirov was aware of the strength of the opponents but he could not know "who is who" - we din not have name tags :)
          For the first few moves actually he spent more time with the lower rated players.

Shirov was a true gentleman before and during the event.
          The simul was supposed to be with 25 opponents only. First he accepted 5 more, then another five. When an extra player showed up at the last moment he agreed: "Just add another board".
          Everyone was surprised that he gave the choice of Black or White.

An excellent event!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
            This is a bit off topic, but why did Shirov have black in a simul?
            In the first message of this thread (by Gordon Ritchie) he said:

"In an unusual gesture, Shirov alternated with White and Black pieces."

Some simul organizers like to suggest that option even though it is traditional for the 'master' to have white on all boards...
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
              CFC Vice President Stijn de Kerpel, ... noted that Alexei Shirov is undoubtedly the highest-ranked player ever to visit the Nation's Capital.
              Zukertort, Keres, Karpov and Short notwithstanding. "Undoubtedly" another little joke. It's great that Shirov has come to Canada. But why does the truth so often not suffice?

Comment

If one considers the ranking of the player at the time they visited Ottawa, maybe Shirov is the strongest. I believe that Keres (1975?) and Short (2008 or so?) were no longer top-ten type players at the time. Same for Karpov if he was here in the last ten years or so, but if he passed through around the time of Montreal 1979, then the honour would certainly go to Anatoly. Can't comment on "Mr. Sugarcake", that was a bit before my time :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                  Zukertort, Keres, Karpov and Short notwithstanding. "Undoubtedly" another little joke. It's great that Shirov has come to Canada. But why does the truth so often not suffice?
                  What kind of comment is that Jon? Are you drunk?

On a more sober note, does anyone know who the other players were who drew against Shirov? I'm curious to know how others did.

Thank-you again to both Alexei for his tremendous display under difficult conditions ( the games were ending around 7am Riga time. ) and to Gordon Ritchie for helping bring this all together. I had a fantastic time!

Comment

Just a short check:
                    Short highest rating ever was 2712 (in 2004)
                    Shirov's rate today : 2723 - expected to go higher after Corus (that ended just some 10 days before)

sources: FIDE official site and Wikipedia

Comment

Zukertort was one of the two top players in the world when he came to Ottawa in 1884.

Details: http://www3.telus.net/public/swright2/visitors2.html

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Smilovici View Post
                        Just a short check:
                        Short highest rating ever was 2712 (in 2004)
                        Shirov's rate today : 2723 - expected to go higher after Corus (that ended just some 10 days before)

sources: FIDE official site and Wikipedia
                        Shirov's FIDE rating is about the same as Karpov's rating when he visited Ottawa, as World Champion and #1-rated player in the world. But as Prof. Elo specified in his book, it is almost meaningless to compare raw ratings of players from different eras.

The "highest-ranked" part of the original quote is important. Ranking and rating are not the same thing.

If you're talking about the most up-to-date rankings by live rating, then Shirov is #18 in the world, after Corus. That does not undoubtedly make him higher-ranked than, for example, Zukertort, #2 in the world when he gave exhibitions in Ottawa.

But frankly, I wasn't thinking of ratings. I was thinking of ranking in the line to the classical chess World Championship. Zukertort lost a World Championship match to Steinitz. Keres's nickname was "Paul the Second", indicating that for many decades he was considered the second best player in the world, though through the vagaries of history and the system, the only World Championship contest he was in, was the match-tournament of 1948. Short contested a world championship match against Kasparov. Shirov earned the right to contest a world championship match against Kasparov, but through the vagaries of history and Kasparov, that never came to pass. So I put Shirov in the same ranking as those three other great players. Arguably, at his peak, he was #2 in the world. That makes him a great player too. But not "undoubtedly the highest-ranked".

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                          Shirov earned the right to contest a world championship match against Kasparov, but through the vagaries of history and Kasparov, that never came to pass. So I put Shirov in the same ranking as those three other great players. Arguably, at his peak, he was #2 in the world. That makes him a great player too. But not "undoubtedly the highest-ranked".
                          A.Shirov has played the World Championship match with V.Anand back in 2000. Thus, he is higher than P.Keres, and higher by some 15-30 cm than Karpov :)

Comment

My apologies - I read "rated" not ranked which should have been the intention of the original post. Then of course we have the problem of an almost impossible "all time rating" evaluation.
                            Karpov and Spassky were world champions - so they are the highest ranked, no doubt.
                            Do you have any info about these simuls - e.g. dates and number of players? I believe Spassky's was in the mid to late 90's. When was Karpov in Ottawa?

Comment

I think also Spassky has given a simul in Ottawa, perhaps in 1967 on his way to or from Winnipeg (?). Shirov may have a higher rating now than Spassky did then but ratings are really just a measure of relative playing strength. Statements like "highest ever" are highly contentious.

Comment

Working...
                              X