X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simul for Haiti

Here is Karoly's report:

Chess for Haiti-Report
    It was my pleasure to do this simul exhibition and play with all the players who participated. I played 14 people in the simul to raise money for the people of Haiti, this Sunday. Most of the players were from the monthly Chess and Math tournaments, a few of the children's parents and a few were from the RA club. There are four fathers and their sons played side by side in the simul. The youngest one was Alexander from Mutchmor, which was the same school that I went to. He played very well.

The games went on for over about 2 hours with me getting 12 wins, 1 draw and 1 lose. Brad Thomson was the person who bested me after I overlooked a forked and he played nicely to convert the advantage and made the victory. The person who drew was Kevin Zhang, a young RA chess club member. I thought I had something, but he defended very well and the position just simplified. These were good games by Brad and Kevin.
    Several people didn't have time to play but still generously donated. They were Stijn, Tim Bailey, and Mate's Father. We raised exactly 200 dollars relief fund by all of your help!

I would like to thank everyone that showed up and played, thank all the parents to support their children to help Haiti, thanks to Dave Gordon for helping in the event, and a special thanks to Brad Thomson and the CMA organization for provide the location and helping organize this great event.

Re: Simul for Haiti

We should also mention that in the afternoon Alexei Shirov came by the tournament to say a few words to the young players and pose for a group photograph.

Comment

Re: Simul for Haiti

Yes, and he was very gracious! It was quite a thrill for the players, and some of the parents as well, to see a super-GM with a rating over 2700. Thanks, Gordon, for helping out!

Comment

Working...
      X