X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ottawa Shirov Simul on Chess Base

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6132

Re: Ottawa Shirov Simul on Chess Base

Gordon, can you help me out. Shirov is coming to Scarborough Chess Club this Thursday. I was going to watch as I thought he is one of the best players in the world (I thought he played great at Corus) but reading another post on the Ottawa event I read that he may not be as good as you say or I think. Can you confirm that he even knows the moves? Perhaps the answer to this question won't be questioned (if you word it correctly). Or maybe I need to wait for McTavish to comment for the absolute truth on the matter. But my 10 year old summed it up to me correctly after he read your post. Does this mean he is strong? Yes, was the simple answer.

Nice seeing you in Bermuda again recently and thanks for the offer for my son and I to stay with you next Ottawa event. But can anyone confirm that you do own a house? Perhaps you should have said home? I can't remember if you specified the size of the house in which case I also need some confirmation.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Moffat View Post
      But can anyone confirm that you do own a house? Perhaps you should have said home? I can't remember if you specified the size of the house in which case I also need some confirmation.
      That is just bizarro. try e-mailing in private; not very ingratiating when looking for free room and board. I did not question Shirov's strength, quite the opposite. More to do with the weak players needing their mothers to dress them for an event. And taking advantage of the GM in an inhospitable localized setting, when he could have done better re. $, prestige, and respect, considering his latest result, anywhere else. It was not about chess. The chess was bad. Look at what made it to chessbase. You wouldn't have blundered in a speed game that way, nor any other A class player. So it wasn't about quality of show or chess content. Possibly Alexei has plans to see some Olympics. Otherwise, his trip makes no sense.

He entered the triangle,
      a gm draw finnagled,
      returning illiterate,
      and so much more full of it

Comment

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
        That is just bizarro. try e-mailing in private; not very ingratiating when looking for free room and board.
        Dave, hey long time no speak (1990 in Indianapolis? but I'm sure someone has the correct facts on that as well.). Anyway, I have the free room and board, what I don't have anymore is the confidence that anything I read or hear is the absolute truth. It seems that the absolute truth is more important than the point that was trying to be made. Therefore, I need to know exactly how strong Shirov is before I watch him at SCC and how big Gordon's house is before I stay at it. Even though he may have a fine house and tells me there is plenty of room there may have been a finer one from the 1800's.

Comment

Working...
        X