Shirov Simul at Scarboro CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirov Simul at Scarboro CC

World Top 10 GM Alexei Shirov (Spain) gave a simultaneous exhibition at the Scarborough CC in Toronto, as part of the club's 50th anniversary celebrations. Thanks to Gordon Ritchie and Maurice Smith for organizing.

Shirov was gracious throughout, signing his books for fans and scoresheets for the players. Immaculately dressed in suit and tie, he even offered to continue the debate at his hotel afterwards, inviting players to go over their games with him there.

Final score: Shirov +17 -2 =6. Losses were to Zaidun Alganabi and John Hall. Draws were with Alex Rapaport, William Rutherdale, Rune Pederson, Erwin Casareno, Pepin Manalo, and Arkadiy Ugodnikov.

All games and lots of photos should be out next week.

Re: Shirov Simul at Scarboro CC - Games and Photos available

1. Spelling correction from my previous post: correct is Alex Rapoport.

2. Shirov's Toronto simul report, photos and game file are here:

http://www.CanadianChess.info

The games are numbered in the order Shirov went around the circle, which will help you identify the players in the photos.

If you want an original photo for yourself or for publication (without the filter displayed on the web site), please contact me.

David

David Cohen, IA
    bw998@freenet.carleton.ca

Comment

Re: Shirov Simul at Scarboro CC - Games and Photos available

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
      photo
      Could you include the link to the larger photo version? Anyway those photos are in a large format, just squeezed by 'width=384 height=216'

Comment

Re: Shirov Simul at Scarboro CC

I think if you right click on the photo and save it, you download the photo in full size.

Game file corrected with one substitution for this game score:

[Event "Scarborough CC Shirov simul"]
        [Site "Toronto, CAN"]
        [Date "2010.02.18"]
        [Round "24"]
        [White "Shirov, Alexei"]
        [Black "Orsini, Mike"]
        [Result "1-0"]
        [ECO "B94"]
        [WhiteElo "2723"]
        [BlackElo "1346"]
        [PlyCount "75"]
        [EventDate "2010.02.18"]
        [EventType "simul"]
        [WhiteTitle "GM"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bg5 Nbd7 7. Bc4 g6
        8. Qe2 Bg7 9. O-O-O O-O 10. f4 Nb6 11. Bb3 Bg4 12. Nf3 Qc7 13. e5 Ne8 14. exd6 exd6 15. Be7 Bxc3 16. bxc3 Qxc3 17. Bxf8 Kxf8 18. Qd3 Rc8 19. Qxc3 Rxc3 20. Rd3 Rc6 21. Nd4 Rc8 22. f5 Bxf5 23. Nxf5 gxf5 24. Rf1 Rc5 25. g4 f6 26. gxf5 Nd7 27. Rg3 Ne5 28. Rg8+ Ke7 29. Rh8 b5 30. Rxh7+ Kd8 31. Be6 Rc7 32. Rxc7 Nxc7 33. h4 Nxe6 34. fxe6 Ke7 35. Rg1 Kxe6 36. Rg7 Nd7 37. h5 f5 38. Rxd7 1-0

Comment

Re: Shirov Simul at Scarboro CC

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
          World Top 10 GM Alexei Shirov (Spain) gave a simultaneous exhibition at the Scarborough CC in Toronto, as part of the club's 50th anniversary celebrations. Thanks to Gordon Ritchie and Maurice Smith for organizing.

Shirov was gracious throughout, signing his books for fans and scoresheets for the players. Immaculately dressed in suit and tie, he even offered to continue the debate at his hotel afterwards, inviting players to go over their games with him there.
          I want to say thank you to the organizers of this event, it left a deep impression on me. Not only I got a nice congratulation on my scoresheet and photo with GM Shirov, I was able to talk to him after the simul and he was exceptionally friendly and open. Also I was one of the few people that went to the hotel with him. We sat with Shirov at the bar and discussed our games. Again he was very friendly and nice. Analyzing my game he was better than Fritz, not only finding everything that Fritz found later, but also suggesting some things Fritz had no idea about. I wish GM Alexei Shirov success in his future tournaments and matches, as well as with finishing his 3rd book "Fire on board".

Comment

Working...
          X