Attn: Scarborough CC historians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: Scarborough CC historians

I am trying to year-date some games I am entering from Scarborough CC championships from the Dec. 1989 and April 1990 issues of EP.

The Dec. 1989 issue has an article by David Southam discussing the "recently completed" SCC championship (which he won). However - a report from the April 1990 issue shows Hugh Murphy winning the top section. (Bob Armstrong came 2nd in the "D" section). This might have been the 1990 edition of the championship (or a 1989-90 edition).

Were these two different events? The Southam article may have been written several months earlier. Does anyone know the starting and/or ending date(s) of these event(s)?

Re: Attn: Scarborough CC historians

Hi Hugh:

I'll ask Dave on Thursday night what he remembers.

Bob

Comment

Hi Hugh:

David had checked his En Passant from Dec. 1989. But after we discussed it further, he wasn't sure of the answer.

He did win a SCC Club Championship and did write the article you refer to in the Dec. 1989 Issue of EP. But as far as we remember, the SCC Club Champioships were held as the second tournament of the season at that time - that would be from Oct or Nov. - Dec 1989 for the 1989-1990 season. So we thought it couldn't be that championship that David had written about, because the 1989-1990 championship would not have concluded by the Dec. EP Issue.

So he thought maybe he had written about winning the 1988-89 Championship, that was completed in Dec. 1988. And it took a long time for him to write the article or CFC to get it published, despite his saying it was a " recently completed " SCC Championship. But he also felt that that was a long time after for CFC to be getting an article out on SCC ( even for EP at the time ).

It would make sense for the April EP 1990 to be referring to the 1989-90 SCC Championship, if we are right that it was completed in Dec. 1989. David doesn't remember a " Hugh Murphy ", but that may not mean anything.

Ken Kurkowski of the SCC says he has some of his old scoresheets from that time, and he will check them to see when they say the club championships took place in 1988-9 and 1989-90. Maybe that will help. I'll let you know if Ken gets back to me.

Sorry we can't be of more help on this one.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Hugh:

He did win a SCC Club Championship and did write the article you refer to in the Dec. 1989 Issue of EP. But as far as we remember, the SCC Club Champioships were held as the second tournament of the season at that time - that would be from Oct or Nov. - Dec 1989 for the 1989-1990 season. So we thought it couldn't be that championship that David had written about, because the 1989-1990 championship would not have concluded by the Dec. EP Issue.
        I won the club championship one year. Back then it was the Swiss tournament. Still have the trophy but whoever ordered the trophy didn't put a date on it. Probably 1971, 72 or 73 but I don't remember.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi,

I looked through my old scoresheets from SCC tournaments and found the following:
          SCC Round-Robin, 8 rounds, Nov. 1989 - Jan 1990
          SCC Round-Robin, 8 rounds, Nov. 1990 - Jan. 1991
          If I recall, these tournaments consisted of several RR sections running concurrently, with the top one determining the club champion.

I also found scoresheets from another RR, a 5-rounder from Mar - May 1989. I doubt this was part of any club championship. We used to have a mix of Swisses and Round Robins at the club.

By the way, if you need to consult any old EnPassants/Chess Canadas/CFC Bulletins, I have a 99% complete collection going back to 1974.

Ken

Comment

Hi Ken:

One question - how come 8 rounds if a round-robin? That would mean more than 8 players per round robin - very suspect - I think the RR's were 8-player groups which would mean 7 rounds.

Also, if the tournaments you mention are the club championships, then the 1989-90 one didn't conclude until Jan. 90. Thus David's article in the Dec. 89 EP could not have been about the 1989-90 Championship.

Bob

Comment

By the way, if you need to consult any old EnPassants/Chess Canadas/CFC Bulletins, I have a 99% complete collection going back to 1974
              Thanks - but I have a 100% complete collection :)

Comment

Hi Bob,

Yeah, I found the 8 rounds a little strange, but that's how many scoresheets I found for both 89-90 and 90-91. I vaguely remember that, due to the odd number of players in a section, everyone got one bye week, which was often used as a make-up date for postponed games (or adjournments in those days-the curfew at Porter Collegiate was 11:30pm at which time the TD would come around with the sealed-move envelopes).

Comment

Working...
                X