Chess at Winter Olympics.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess at Winter Olympics.....

Who ever thought Chess would make it to the Games? Well it did,sort of. A recent news clip compared Curling to Chess on ice-precision,strategy,tactics,-like Chess, Curling can be played and enjoyed by all....

Re: Chess at Winter Olympics.....

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
    Who ever thought Chess would make it to the Games? Well it did,sort of. A recent news clip compared Curling to Chess on ice-precision,strategy,tactics,-like Chess, Curling can be played and enjoyed by all....
    They are simply trying to give curling some respectability. Curling is shuffleboard of ice.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Ha!!! Ha!!!!!

Comment

The reality is if a famous curler in Canada came out and said that they also compete in chess events it would bring more credibility and interest to chess in Canada. Neither chess nor curling have massive children's programs, but curling has a massive adult group.

Out of the massive community, I wonder how many registered chess players there are.
        Maybe zero ( I was a member for a few years but have given up on the CFC ).

The Olympics of course will draw new people into the game. Chess Olympiad forget it, you guys don't even properly support or promote those who participate in such a program. But your tax dollars will for sure pay for the curlers who are carded athletes for three years. And thanks to Barry and others, you won't get anymore Trillium funding. But the Richmond Hill curling club got a Trillium grant I see and when we were at the York curling club they are getting a massive grant to expand their club.

Veteran chess players seem content to run their game into the ground. Curling has no such problem we will even welcome cranky old chess players if they can't find a good game anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
          The reality is if a famous curler in Canada came out and said that they also compete in chess events it would bring more credibility and interest to chess in Canada. Neither chess nor curling have massive children's programs, but curling has a massive adult group.

Out of the massive community, I wonder how many registered chess players there are.
          Maybe zero ( I was a member for a few years but have given up on the CFC ).

The Olympics of course will draw new people into the game. Chess Olympiad forget it, you guys don't even properly support or promote those who participate in such a program. But your tax dollars will for sure pay for the curlers who are carded athletes for three years. And thanks to Barry and others, you won't get anymore Trillium funding. But the Richmond Hill curling club got a Trillium grant I see and when we were at the York curling club they are getting a massive grant to expand their club.

Veteran chess players seem content to run their game into the ground. Curling has no such problem we will even welcome cranky old chess players if they can't find a good game anymore.
          Well, I think curling has an advantage in appealing to adults. How many major events in curling allow children to play? Chess welcomes them in events but curling does not. How old does a junior have to be to play in a major senior event?

I don't know how many curlers play chess. Judging by the jobs some have, I'd think a barrier would be the amount of time they put into their curling game. I can't think of any reason there wouldn't be decent chess players among them.

Out of curiosiity, if you were to translate your curling prowess to a chess elo rating what would you think it would be?

Regarding supporting chess players in the chess Olympics and generally, if you read some of todays threads you will see I'm making a few comments on the issue.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Our 8 year old son curls. One of the major differences beteween the two sports is the physical aspects. Most juniors could not compete with adults on that level. Chess does not have the same impediment. The Little Rocks and Junior Program and the rink where he curls is vastly superior to any junior program that has existed in NB in recent years.

Comment

Working...
            X