2010 Canadian Open - Will you play? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Canadian Open - Will you play? (poll)

To keep the 2010 Canadian Open on your eyes :)
    Yes
    39.58%
    No
    41.67%
    not ready to answer
    18.75%

Re: 2010 Canadian Open - Will you play? (poll)

When can we expect to see a published list of pre-registered players?

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
      When can we expect to see a published list of pre-registered players?
      in a couple of weeks time.

However, as Bob wrote - g Rozentalis, g Shabalov, and g Friedel have already confirmed their participation.

Comment

i wish i could! There are two babies in my future in may so i'm sure that my wife would kill me...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
          i wish i could! There are two babies in my future in may so i'm sure that my wife would kill me...
          Congratulations, Craig! Saving your life is more important than chess. Don't lose your perspective.
          A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

But Chess IS life - on board, on ice, on grass, on water.

Craig needs to get his wife playing chess, and a chess development program for his 2 up and comers !

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
              This is a real Hero! Bravo and congratulations, Craig.

Comment

As per above mentioned poll, why don't they want to play in this tournament? Is it too ... expensive? Can we know exactly their reasons? Would they be so brave to give us their reasons to support that?

Comment

want to play in this tournament? Is it too ... expensive? Can we know exactly their reasons? Would they be so brave to give us their reasons to support that?
                  Let's be on more positive mood, and might be those who answered "No" will change their minds :)

Why will players join the Canadian Open 2010 :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Why will players join the Canadian Open 2010 :D
                    Hi,

This is why I've played in the past 4 Canadian Opens, and will play again and always if possible:

- 9 Rounds Open Tournament (how often do these happen? - I love the marathon)
                    - Biggest or up there in terms of participation in Canada
                    - Chance to play GM / IM
                    - Watch these guys battle it out, high quality games in-your-face (yes, I do prefer watching it standing up with 20 people beside me than in the comfort of my home over the Internet)
                    - Rare opportunity to watch GMs doing skittles / analyzes -- I see it as a high class, friendly, free lesson to me and other kibitzers
                    - Meet new chess people from across the country (possibly even from outside of Canada), happens at every C.O.
                    - Re-unite with old friends, this is the one tournament everyone plays at
                    - High quality venue, organization
                    - Side events: Lectures, Blitz, Simuls, etc...
                    - Maybe even keep a souvenir (t-shirt, pen, board mat, whatever)

The Canadian Open is the ideal chess vacation!
                    People are paying close to $100 as it is for 5 or 6 round tournaments. Compared to USA, we're cheap.
                    $175 for 50 hours worth of entertainment, it already feels like I am robbing someone.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Hi Alex:

Great Post !

I've played in the last 4 Canadian Opens and couldn't agree more.

See you there !

Bob

Comment

Here's is why i intend to play in the 2010 Canadain Open

1. It will be my first time to play in a Canadian Open and hopefully more to follow.....

2. Chance to play a GM not from Canada

3. FIDE rated

4. Experience the atmosphere of playing in a first class tournament

5. I do not need to pay $ 150 per day hotel

6. Chance to capture on video great and rising players

7. I do not need to cross the border and get stuck there by more than 1 hour.

8. I do not need to travel far.

9. Compared to the 2010 Philadelphia Open (March 31-ApRIL 4) registration cost of US $ 220, the CAD $ 175 is much cheaper.

10. Excellent and friendly organizers

Comment

1. With Brian Fiedler as one of the organizers, expect excellent playing venue and condition similar to the PWC Toronto Open.

2. Several attractive class and consolation prizes await players who perform very well against stronger opponents.

3. Great opportunity to play in an Open (FIDE Rated) Tournament and receive an International Rating.

4. Saves money and time since its closer to home.

5. Chance to see old-time chess players/friends come out from their closet and play their beloved game.

6. Chance to personally see famous Grandmasters and perhaps take photographs with them.

7. It will take several years to wait before another similar big chess event will be staged in Ontario.

8. It is a great challenge to measure your actual playing strength in standard time control.

9. Chance to play and beat a GM in simuls.

10. Experience and discover what Ontario got to offer in the morning. Theme Parks, Fruit Pickings, Lakes and Beaches etc.

11. Walk and Stroll downtown Toronto before my game starts. There will surely be lots of fun for everyone!

Comment

Here is the current list of advance entries:

LISTING OF REGISTRANTS as at
                            March 2, 2010

Title First Name Surname Rating Province

GM Evgeny Bareev 2643 FO
                            GM Eduardas Rozentalis 2623 FO
                            GM Alexander Shabalov 2611 US
                            GM Joshua Friedel 2549 US
                            Brett Campbell 2177 ON
                            Ilia Bluvshtein 2099 ON
                            David Poirier 1855 NS
                            Ferdinand Supsup 1783 ON
                            Caesar Posylek 1708 ON
                            Richard Keep 1690 QC
                            Peter W. Hazen 1565 ON
                            Andre Siegel 1514 ON
                            Victor Okon Unrated ON

- for full flyer go to http://www.chess.ca/misc2009/2010CANOP.pdf

Bob Armstrong ( posted for Brian Fiedler )

Comment

As per above mentioned poll, why don't they want to play in this tournament? Is it too ... expensive? Can we know exactly their reasons? Would they be so brave to give us their reasons to support that?

Hmm... I think very expensive is one thing. Early Bird Entry Fee of $175?? That should be the sign-up late fee! It's understandable that the Canadian Open is more expensive because of more rounds and opening ceremony, but take a look back to Edmonton the entry fee was $160 with many paying $135...
                              The PWC toronto open was a great success. It stands to reason that if the tournament directors decided to go in for a PWC toronto open style format there would be tons and tons of people entering, because it's like an even bigger PWC toronto open (more prizes, we all know PWC was great, and the name)
                              As for playing a foreign GM... I mean really I don't care, to me it's the same thing as getting crushed by Rybka, except you have this tiny chance the GM will hang the queen or mate, whereas none for Rybka :). This Canadian Open seems to be GM Paradise, because the massive amount devoted to the winners. As for the class prizes, I mean sure they're nice to win but compared to other Canadian Opens they are far smaller. Add to the fact that it will be far more expensive than competing in the PWC toronto open you can expect people not to come. Since most people at the tournament will be below master strength they have virtually no chance on winning a placement prize, and the class prizes are quite small in comparison to the other prizes. The most attractive thing to me about the Canadian Open is... its name.
                              More GM's make the tournament better known, but still, don't forget class players provide the $$$. I'm not sure why the TD's decided on this new format, was it to attract GM's? I wouldn't pay someone to get paid! :P

Comment

Working...
                              X