Scarborough Chess Club -- 2010 Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarborough Chess Club -- 2010 Championship

Tomorrow night (Thursday, February 25), the Scarborough Chess Club kicks off its 9 week long club championship. We have a 10 player round-robin tournament for the top-rated players in the club and two Swiss format reserves sections (open and under-1700). The Round Robin section should be a great tournament with 7 of the 10 being rated 2200 or higher. Here is the field for the Round Robin:
    1. Rune Pedersen (2340)
    2. Yuanling Yuan (2323)
    3. Andrei Moffat (2289)
    4. John Hall (2238)
    5. Karl Sellars (2227)
    6. Bryan Lamb (2214)
    7. Kevork Hacat (2212)
    8. Bill Peng (2186)
    9. Erwin Casareno (2181)
    10. Alex T Ferreira (2024)

(Alex qualified the wildcard spot by virtue of his finish in last year's Open Reserves section.)

This is the strongest club championship that we have seen in this millennium. Not too be overshadowed, both the Open Reserves Section and the U1700 Reserves Section should produce some great chess. Club members (and potential new club members) who want to play in one of the Reserves sections and have not signed up on entry sheets or emailed me previously are urged to email me at skarpik@sympatico.ca so I can register you in the tournament. You can still, of course, enter on the day of the tournament at the club but it might be a bit hectic as we get everything organized for round 1. Doors open at 7:00 p.m. and play starts at 7:30.

Steve Karpik
    Secretary, Scarborough Chess Club

PS Everyone has confirmed their participation in the tournament.
    Last edited by Steve Karpik; Thursday, 25th February, 2010, 02:56 PM.

Re: Scarborough Chess Club -- 2010 Championship

A blind draw was held to assign lot numbers to the ten players in the Round Robin section. The resulting pairing table for the Round Robin section is now available through a link on this page:

http://www.scarboroughchessclub.ca/Results.aspx

Also on that page is a summary of our recently completed Jack Frost Swiss. Congratulations go out to Andrei Moffat and Zaidun al Ganabi, winners of the Open and U1700 sections, respectively. By winning their respective sections, Andrei and Zaidun win a $50 credit towards their next SCC membership renewal. The SCC is awarding $50 to the winner of each tournament for the duration of our 50th anniversary year (September 2009 to June 2010).

Comment

Re: Scarborough Chess Club -- 2010 Championship

Hi,

Looking at the crosstable / pairings, looks to me that the computer completely mirrored the order of rounds, whats 9 should be 1, whats 8 should be 2, etc...
      Though the colours are correct. Should not matter anyway. Surely there's several ways of making RR pairings.

Alex F.

Comment

Re: Scarborough Chess Club -- 2010 Championship - A First in Recent Memory

Hi Steve:

Congratulations on getting an advance registration done for the SCC Championship section, and the pairings in advance of the first round - think this is the first time I can remember that this has happened.

The executive of the CFC run a good club - thanks for their volunteer time and effort.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X