Internet Match: Calgary vs. Brantford, round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Match: Calgary vs. Brantford, round 2

Part two of the internet match between Calgary and Brantford was played this afternoon. The Brantford team remained the same, but Calgary had to field a substitute as Tom McKay was busy clowning around.

Board 1
    (CAL) White: Tony Ficzere 1805 1
    (BRN) Black: Rob Gashgarian 1957 0
    I've known Rob for years, and he knows what I play. He has a slightly better record against me, but I was able to close the gap after today. Rob allowed me to play a tactic after he miscalculated, allowing me to win the exchange. A lucky break for me!

Board 2
    (BRN) White: Lee Hendon 1728 0
    (CAL) Black: Bob Macfie 1798 1
    I only glanced at the other boards a bit as I was busy with my own game. Lee's position looked a little better at one point, but then he fell into a trap, taking a pawn which actually lost a piece. Resignation came shortly after as Bob's position was crushing.

Board 3
    (CAL) White: Nicholas Selebaleng 1482 0
    (BRN) Black: Adam Cormier 1682 1
    Nicholas had to play up a board from the first round due to Tom McKay having other plans. I only glanced at his a few times, but it looked like Adam was in control from start to finish. Nicholas faught on but it just wasn't enough. Adam delivered mate.

Board 4
    (BRN) White: Tyler Ensor 1448 1
    (CAL) Black: Mike Scholz 1414 0
    This was the most evenly matched game of the four and the last to finish. Tyler gained an advantage and Mike was lucky to survive as long as he did. When all the major pieces came off, Mike played well enough and at one point he was even (in my opinion). Then he slipped by letting his knight get trapped on h1. The best he could do was play the desperado ...Nxg3, but it wasn't enough. Tyler played a fine game.

Today's match was a tie (2-2), but Brantford wins the 2 round match with a final score of 5-3. One minor technical glitch occured when Calgary lost their internet connection for a few minutes. This was easily fixed, and the rest of the match ran smoothly.

Congratulations to team Brantford, we look forward to a rematch down the road. Thanks to all the players on team Calgary for a fun afternoon. Brantford wins $5,000 for their efforts. Rich Uncle Pennybags will make sure you get your money.

If anyone is interested in arranging an internet match with Calgary, please contact me.

Re: Internet Match: Calgary vs. Brantford, round 2

It would be nice if Chess Clubs in Canada will have similar Team Competitions similar to the United States Chess League http://www.uschessleague.com/index.html

Chess Club Competitions through Internet Team Matches.

Comment

Working...
    X