X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Structure of the CFC

Posted on March 1 on the members' CFC Chess Forum

The Structure of the CFC

I have been having some discussions with various people about the current status of the CFC ( is it drifting currently? ), and whether there needs to be any more restructuring of the organization to get it back on track. One issue has been the outsourcing of the CFC's office functions to EKG, who provide to CFC Gerry Litchfield, as filling the E.D. position. I myself never favoured the outsourcing contract by former president David Lavin, as I've posted recently. This is no criticism of EKG nor of Gerry. It is a question of what is the best administrative design for CFC to help it meet its corporate objectives.

Here are some of my thoughts on these issues:

# 1. The Governors - The CFC is the governors. I am totally supportive of the governor structure as it is. I did try at the July 2009 AGM to cut the number of provincial representative governors in half, but that motion failed. I can live with that. I have 2 motions now before the governors to remove past presidents of more than 5 years ( thus eliminating the Life Governor situation), and to make them governors-at-large without vote for 10 years. I also have filed a motion to impose an activity criteria on governors, or they can be removed if they do not participate. I see the governors as making all major decisions: financial, policy and administrative. I think this system works.

# 2.The Executive - The executive run the day-to-day operations on behalf of the governors, and so their decision-making power is actually quite limited, and administrative.

#3. Budget – the executive will, in consultation with the ED, create a budget, to be presented to the governors one month prior to the start of the fiscal year, which is by March 31. Maurice is now trying to see if he can meet this deadline. Foundation funds will not be used for ongoing CFC operations. It will only be accessed for major projects approved by the Governors. The ED would be a major person to consult with on financial planning. Maurice is now dealing with Gerry on the 2010-11 budget ( they meet tomorrow, as I understand it ).

# 4. Executive Director - I prefer that the CFC not renew the outsourcing contract with EKG, and hire Gerry, if available, or some other good person, as an ED " employee " again. The ED. may be the public face of the CFC, but he is supervised by the executive as an employee, and does not have any policy/administrative powers of his own. The executive determine what information is made available to an ED. An appeal by the ED is possible to the Governors. It has been a bit of a struggle between the executive/president and the Governors as to whether the President can terminate the ED when that was an “ employee “ position. There is precedent that this has been done by the president on his own authority, without governor authorization, and there may be a pro bono legal opinion that this is an administrative operational decision within the scope of the president. I disagree with this – other staff, the President can hire and fire – but he can’t terminate the ED – that is a “ major “ administrative decision for the governors.

#5. AGM - I chair a subcommittee that hopes to make the AGM interactive by audio, and perhaps even interactive by video. All governors from across the country will be able to attend the AGM from their home computer.

#6. New CFC Website – This capital project will have to be funded out of the building sale trust funds being held by the Chess Foundation of Canada, such final decision to be made by the Governors.

Added by later editing at the request of Governor Egis Zeromskis:

# 7. Provincial Affiliates - The CFC is a true federation. The provinces are allocated a certain number of seats in the CFC Assembly of Governors, based on membership totals in the provinces/territories. The CFC Handbook makes clear that they are elected by the CFC members in the Province ( in Ontario, the CFC member elects only the governors for his/her region ), not appointed by the Provincial Affiliate. However, as far as I can tell, once elected the CFC Governor becomes independent - he is a true representative. He has total discretion about how he votes and what he does. The Provincial Affiliate cannot direct their governors how to vote, or what to do. Please point me to any source references that may counter this opinion.

However, I fear that the above fact has led the Provincial Affiliates to wash their hands of their CFC governors once elected. The provinces as far as I know do not try to influence the governors on CFC votes; they do not hold any meetings of their CFC governors to plan strategy at the CFC. In fact, even in the election process, they seem to be falling down. We have a less than 50% voting participation rate on CFC motions. Governors are failing to do their job of governing. And only the Provincial Affiliate, through their CFC members, can affect this situation. The Provincial Affiliates are not beating the bushes to find the best CFC members of their province to stand for nomination. And the CFC members in the province have to take responsibility when they elect deadwood governors to represent them. I feel the provincial affiliates need to put this on the agenda of their next provincial affiliate meeting, and discuss how they can do better.

# 8. Membership - CFC is not really a true " member " organization. It barely makes the definition. There is a very truncated role only for CFC members. They only have one official power - to elect the CFC Governors for their province ( and in Ontario, they elect only the governors for their region ). Other than that they have no direct voice in the running to the CFC. This is enshrined in section 14 of Bylaw # 1 in the CFC Handbook:

LIMITATION OF RIGHTS

14. No individual Member shall have any right to be heard on any matter pertaining to the affairs of the Federation, or his individual membership. Should any individual member be aggrieved by any matter arising in the conduct of the affairs of the Federation, his remedy shall be to bring the matter before his provincial organization, and if there be no Provincial Organization in the Province in which he resides, he may bring the matter to the attention of a Governor representing such Province. Any complaints or suggestions of any individual Member shall be sufficiently dealt with by the Federation Secretary, if he shall reply to such individual Member quoting this By-law.

So membership is more about the benefits of CFC membership: the national rating; the monthly Canadian Chess News Newsletter; and the supporting of chess in Canada through the CFC. Bob Gillanders, former governor, former CFC Treasurer, and former CFC E.D. was the drafter, I think, of the current CFC Website exposition on the membership page of these benefits:

What benefits do I get as a member of the C.F.C.?

When you become a member of the CFC, you join a fraternity of chess players, enthusiasts, teachers, and organizers from across Canada devoted to promoting chess. The CFC represents Canada to the world as a member of FIDE, the international chess body. The CFC sends teams to the Chess Olympiad, World Youth Chess Championship, and other major international events. The CFC holds national championships (including the Canadian Open, Canadian Youth Chess Championship, Canadian Closed, Canadian Women’s Championship) to showcase Canadian talent. The CFC website keeps players informed on is what happening including tournament listings, tournament reports and news items, listings of local chess clubs, and so much more. Your membership dues support all these activities to help ensure chess prospers in Canada. As a member, you are welcomed at CFC events across Canada, including national tournaments, weekend swisses, and local club tournaments.

Other benefits of membership include:

A national CFC chess rating,
    Subscription to the monthly Canadian Chess News, an electronic newsletter,
    And discount prices at the CFC online store.

There has never been any groundswell of member dissatisfaction with the current membership situation ( though there has been some complaint by some that there is insufficient value for the amount of the yearly membership fee - with which I strongly disagree - chess is cheap in comparison to other hobbies and belonging to governing organizations - it is currently $ 36 for the CFC portion of new membership fees collected - the provinces add on their membership fees and the CFC collects it for them when it sells its membership).

In my experience as an active member, before becoming governor, and as an organizer at the grassroots of CFC members, I found my local governors most cooprerative in advising me of CFC matters, bringing motions on my behalf, etc. Admittedly, few organizations are structured this way, and so change could be sought to give members a greater role, if the membership really wanted such a role, based on comparisons with other major organizations. But so far, the status quo has been generally accepted.

I'd be pleased to hear any comments on some of these fundamental CFC ideas.

Bob

Re: The Structure of the CFC

"When you become a member of the CFC, you join a fraternity of chess players, enthusiasts, teachers, and organizers from across Canada devoted to promoting chess."

If your interest is in qualifying to represent Canada internationally, either as an individual in the World Cup or the various FIDE junior events, or as a member of our teams at the Chess Olympiad, then you MUST join the CFC to be eligible for the qualifying events. Getting a rating and playing fair tournaments lets you compare your strength to other potential champions. Also you can measure over time your progress in increasing your strength.

Note: The process of determining champions is of necessity elitist. If you are wedded to egalitarian principles you may prefer an endevour where everyone has the same chance, like for example bingo or playing the lottery. Chess is different: It has no luck element. In a chess game your fate is essentially in your own hands.

Like a SPORTS FEDERATION the CFC determines the process and okays the tournaments which determine who represents Canada. It is the gatekeeper to the international arena. Hence the CFC has members whose concern is not primarily "promoting chess" but wishing to test their own excellence against other similarly motivated members. They are required to join even if they find the nebulous public-relations agenda of 'promoting chess' to be a load of malarkey.

Consider: the growth of chess popularity in Canada has been extraordinary. CMA's scholastic competition has broken 10,000 competitors. One online site of many, chess.com, has broken 50,000 Candian members. If the expression 'promoting chess' meant what it says, then there ought be great satisfaction. However as used by some, the expression means promoting over-the-board tournament chess such as requires CFC membership; in other words, promoting the CFC, the elite serious chess organization with the history and international relations.

The structure of the CFC is obviously based on parliamentary democracy. For a sports federation this is unsound, a handicap to national excellence. For example the governors represent regions and representation to the Canadian Closed always involves regionalism.
    With a carefully tended rating list such as ours, a normal sports federation would use it to invite to a championship the top players by excellence criteria rather than either involving geography or satisfying the greatest number of players. That could be left to the Canadian Open.

In the semantics of Bob's egaltarian fraternity, the idea of excellence is downplayed, an elitism, to be conquered in the interests of the grassroot masses. By accident this philosophy promotes mediocrity. Why improve if the class prize is huge? Sure, chess is fun and keeps your mind nimble. But that's not what a healthy sports federation does: it promotes excellence in its field.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
      promoting the CFC
      In the last your Star article, you included the www.chess.ca website. Thank you for that.

Do you have any feedback from your readers - how many Toronto (Saturday) Star readers read the chess corner?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
        "When you become a member of the CFC, you join a fraternity of chess players, enthusiasts, teachers, and organizers from across Canada devoted to promoting chess."

If your interest is in qualifying to represent Canada internationally, either as an individual in the World Cup or the various FIDE junior events, or as a member of our teams at the Chess Olympiad, then you MUST join the CFC to be eligible for the qualifying events. Getting a rating and playing fair tournaments lets you compare your strength to other potential champions. Also you can measure over time your progress in increasing your strength.

Note: The process of determining champions is of necessity elitist. If you are wedded to egalitarian principles you may prefer an endevour where everyone has the same chance, like for example bingo or playing the lottery. Chess is different: It has no luck element. In a chess game your fate is essentially in your own hands.

Like a SPORTS FEDERATION the CFC determines the process and okays the tournaments which determine who represents Canada. It is the gatekeeper to the international arena. Hence the CFC has members whose concern is not primarily "promoting chess" but wishing to test their own excellence against other similarly motivated members. They are required to join even if they find the nebulous public-relations agenda of 'promoting chess' to be a load of malarkey.

Consider: the growth of chess popularity in Canada has been extraordinary. CMA's scholastic competition has broken 10,000 competitors. One online site of many, chess.com, has broken 50,000 Candian members. If the expression 'promoting chess' meant what it says, then there ought be great satisfaction. However as used by some, the expression means promoting over-the-board tournament chess such as requires CFC membership; in other words, promoting the CFC, the elite serious chess organization with the history and international relations.

The structure of the CFC is obviously based on parliamentary democracy. For a sports federation this is unsound, a handicap to national excellence. For example the governors represent regions and representation to the Canadian Closed always involves regionalism.
        With a carefully tended rating list such as ours, a normal sports federation would use it to invite to a championship the top players by excellence criteria rather than either involving geography or satisfying the greatest number of players. That could be left to the Canadian Open.

In the semantics of Bob's egaltarian fraternity, the idea of excellence is downplayed, an elitism, to be conquered in the interests of the grassroot masses. By accident this philosophy promotes mediocrity. Why improve if the class prize is huge? Sure, chess is fun and keeps your mind nimble. But that's not what a healthy sports federation does: it promotes excellence in its field.
        Standing ovation for Lawrence!

Bravo

Comment

[QUOTE=Egidijus Zeromskis;20329Do you have any feedback from your readers - how many Toronto (Saturday) Star readers read the chess corner?[/QUOTE]

Egi,

What are you trying to proof by asking your rhetorical question?
          A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
            What are you trying to proof by asking your rhetorical question?
            Why is it a rhetorical? Why should a question prove anything?

Some numbers for the Saturday Star - ~ 600,00 circulation.

---
            Do you have (receive) any feedback from your readers? (the question is not related to the CFC)

Comment

You didn't ask what the circulation of Saturday Toronto Star. You asked how many Toronto (Saturday) Star readers read the chess corner?
              This is rhetorical!
              You asked "Do you have any feedback from your readers".
              This is rhetorical too.

Comment

You didn't ask what the circulation of Saturday Toronto Star. You asked how many Toronto (Saturday) Star readers read the chess corner?
                This is rhetorical!
                You asked "Do you have any feedback from your readers".
                This is rhetorical too.
                To my understanding and my dictionary your question was a rhetorical one:

"rhetorical question
                n.
                a question asked merely for the sake of emphasis and requiring no answer.
                "

My questions can be answered (and I'm interested in answers.)

Comment

Number of 2009-10 CFC Governors

For those interested, the number of 2009-10 Governors is set out below:

Provincial/Territorial Naming of Governors

Based on CFC membership numbers, each Province/Territory is granted a certain number of governor seats based on CFC members, and there are named Governors-at-large. Here is the Governor structure and breakdown for 2009-10:

1. Governors-at-Large :

A - Executive - President - 1
                  B - Representative of Chess Foundation of Canada, and, Canadian Correspondence Chess Association - 2
                  C - Canadian Champion and Runner-Up - 2
                  D – Former CFC Presidents ( some Life Governors ) – 12 ( more than the votes of the other Governors-at-Large )

Total – 17

( Note–

a) the Executive Officers, other than the President, remain representatives of their province;
                  b) 3 Non-Executive Officers - Rating Auditor, Masters' Representative and Women's Coordinator - are not governors;
                  c) in 2009-10 there was one less governor at large than there should have been, since the Past President Executive position, a governor at large, was vacant. )

2. Provincial/Territorial Governors:

A - B.C. - 5
                  B - Alta. - 5
                  C - Sask. - 1
                  D - Man. - 2
                  E - Ont. - 18
                  F - Que. - 2
                  G - N.B. - 2
                  H - P.E.I. - 1
                  I - N.S. - 2
                  J - Nfld. & Lab. - 1
                  K - no reps from the 3 territories ( 3 vacancies )

Total - 39 ( and three vacancies )

( Note: in 2009-10 this total was one more governor than there should have been, since Ontario had an extra one by mistake ].

3. Total No. of Governors - 56 ( and 3 vacancies )

[ Note: this is the total there should have been, had the Past President position been filled, and Ontario not had an extra governor ]

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    To my understanding and my dictionary your question was a rhetorical one:

"rhetorical question
                    n.
                    a question asked merely for the sake of emphasis and requiring no answer.
                    "

Egi, your question is rhetorical and require no answer because you already know the answer.

Comment

Egi, your question is rhetorical and require no answer because you already know the answer.
                      sorry, I don't know. I assume that L.Day might receive some feedback. (He might answer in a short version, or to give more extensive :) With the second part I have no idea. 0.1%, 1%, 2%,10%, 105% of circulation?

Comment

Re: Number of 2009-10 CFC Governors

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        For those interested, the number of 2009-10 Governors is set out below:

Provincial/Territorial Naming of Governors

Based on CFC membership numbers, each Province/Territory is granted a certain number of governor seats based on CFC members, and there are named Governors-at-large. Here is the Governor structure and breakdown for 2009-10:

1. Governors-at-Large :

A - Executive - President - 1
                        B - Representative of Chess Foundation of Canada, and, Canadian Correspondence Chess Association - 2
                        C - Canadian Champion and Runner-Up - 2
                        D – Former CFC Presidents ( some Life Governors ) – 12 ( more than the votes of the other Governors-at-Large )

Total – 17

( Note–

a) the Executive Officers, other than the President, remain representatives of their province;
                        b) 3 Non-Executive Officers - Rating Auditor, Masters' Representative and Women's Coordinator - are not governors;
                        c) in 2009-10 there was one less governor at large than there should have been, since the Past President Executive position, a governor at large, was vacant. )

2. Provincial/Territorial Governors:

A - B.C. - 5
                        B - Alta. - 5
                        C - Sask. - 1
                        D - Man. - 2
                        E - Ont. - 18
                        F - Que. - 2
                        G - N.B. - 2
                        H - P.E.I. - 1
                        I - N.S. - 2
                        J - Nfld. & Lab. - 1
                        K - no reps from the 3 territories ( 3 vacancies )

Total - 39 ( and three vacancies )

( Note: in 2009-10 this total was one more governor than there should have been, since Ontario had an extra one by mistake ].

3. Total No. of Governors - 56 ( and 3 vacancies )

[ Note: this is the total there should have been, had the Past President position been filled, and Ontario not had an extra governor ]
                        The president should have 29 votes. That way he would need 50% of the governors votes to realize a business plan.

To give the president 29 votes, you could present this to the vote saying that it would take effect only for the next president.

Otherwise forget about making any plan with 56 persons on the driver seat.

Carl

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Well, I have to tell you Egidijus, I'm an EXPERT on the topic of response from Lawrence's chess column. Anything I'm an expert on, you can address me as Mr. Ruben. Unfortunately, expert has an odd meaning. An EX is a has been and a SPURT is a drip from a tap.

A number of times over the years when I was promoting correspondence events and recruiting members I asked Lawrence to put in a blurb for me. Every time he did (and Jonathan did as well from his column), requests for information used to come and I translated them into members and/or tournament entries. The biggest response was in the first couple of weeks after the appearance in the newspaper. After that, people would still write and mention the column, so I guess they must have kept it or they wrote down the information. I always published a mailing address. Also my name if I recall correctly. Of course, that was in the 1970's and 80's.

I love to see my name in print, particularly when it's spelled correctly. Very few buy a membership for an organization. They buy it from a person and expect the person to stand behind the organization and promises. That was me.

The organization is the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Number of 2009-10 CFC Governors

Originally posted by Carl Bilodeau View Post
                            The president should have 29 votes. That way he would need 50% of the governors votes to realize a business plan.

To give the president 29 votes, you could present this to the vote saying that it would take effect only for the next president.

Otherwise forget about making any plan with 56 persons on the driver seat.

Carl
                            Carl seems to gave difficulty grasping the concept of democracy!:)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              Well, I have to tell you Egidijus, I'm an EXPERT on the topic of response from Lawrence's chess column. Anything I'm an expert on, you can address me as Mr. Ruben.
                              Thank you for the answer.

The latest Bob's newsletters ( FW: Scarborough Community of Toronto Chess News & Views, Issue # 11-13, March 1, 2010, and Database CNV#11-13 ) have a picture from 1977(?) and E.M. asks who are the guys playing.
                              "1. Is it Jim Paterson or Gary Ruben sitting on the left?"

Have you seen it? (I'm not sure that the newsletters are online, thus no link at this moment)

Comment

Working...
                              X