Canadian chess player on top of the world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian chess player on top of the world!

Canadian "Yorkman" has highest rating according to Chess.com:

A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Re: Canadian chess player on top of the world!

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
    Canadian "Yorkman" has highest rating according to Chess.com:

Something weird there: if you go down the list of countries, there's United Kingdom (with the Union Jack flag), later there's England (with another flag, not the Union Jack), then later still there's Great Britain (with the Union Jack again).
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Different federations?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
        Something weird there: if you go down the list of countries, there's United Kingdom (with the Union Jack flag), later there's England (with another flag, not the Union Jack), then later still there's Great Britain (with the Union Jack again).
        The England flag shown is the St. George flag. The difference might have to do with the country rather than the United Kingdom or Great Britain. I think the St. George flag is only England.

Before Newfoundland joined confederation in 1949 they flew the Union Jack.

I pledge allegiance to my flag,
        and to the Commonwealth for which it stands,
        One nation under God,
        indivisible something or other. I can't recall.

It was the pledge of allegiance they said in school every day in Newfoundland. That was in the lower grades.

They followed that with the Ode to Newfoundland and the Lord's prayer.

It was the opening each morning.

Isn't this great stuff to know. :)
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

FIDE recognizes (as individual federations - and thus may be represented at Olympiads, etc.) England, Scotland, Wales, Jersey, and Guernsey. A "grandfather clause" allows this - otherwise, only independent countries or UN observers (e.g. Palestine) are allowed FIDE membership. Northern Ireland is "united" with Ireland for Olympiads. I think Hong Kong and Macau are also FIDE members.

Off-topic:

I pledge allegiance to my flag,
          and to the Commonwealth for which it stands,
          One nation under God,
          indivisible something or other. I can't recall.
          In our [Protestant] school, we used to say (following the Lord's Prayer):

"I promise to be loyal and true to this flag
          And to the Commonwealth [pre Maple Leaf flag - seemed to be always the Union Jack in our school] / country [ML flag] for which it stands".

This was followed by "O Canada" and/or "God Save the Queen" (I wasn't in school when there was a King), and often one or two hymns.

By the time I finished high school, I think all these items had disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            Off-topic:

In our [Protestant] school, we used to say (following the Lord's Prayer):

"I promise to be loyal and true to this flag
            And to the Commonwealth [pre Maple Leaf flag - seemed to be always the Union Jack in our school] / country [ML flag] for which it stands".

This was followed by "O Canada" and/or "God Save the Queen" (I wasn't in school when there was a King), and often one or two hymns.

By the time I finished high school, I think all these items had disappeared.
            I never went to school in Newfoundland. I got a wife there. Actually, it wasn't only Newfoundland. It was Random Island. That's the island where Captain Kidd is thought to have hidden his legendary treasure. All these years people have been looking for Capt. Kidd's treasure and I came away with it. :)

I recall we did the Lords Prayer and O Canada in school.

I also recall when the King passed away and the coronation of the Queen. No TV back then. The schools took us on busses to a downtown theatre in Winnipeg to see the coronation. A replay.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

In my grade school we sang "Wolfe the dauntless hero"
              Only the first verse....over and over.
              while filing out into the halls and gym to form the British square 500 strong. The grade 6 students on front rank and grade one protected in the centre.

Not sure but I don't think the British employed the square in 1759 and certainly not on the Plains of Abraham.

Comment

In my grade school we sang "Wolfe the dauntless hero"
                More commonly known as "The Maple Leaf Forever".

A politically-correct version was performed at the Olympic closing cermonies.

Comment

Sod off all you avoiding the issue.
                  Who is yorkman??
                  And is this "hansen" our promising young junior Eric Hansen who is exhibiting this bad behaviour of not finishing games while dead lost?? I believe this yorkman to be an imposter, he should REVEAL himself.

Comment

Sorry I went to Brass Rails tonight I had so much booby in my face I don't know what's real right now!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
                      Sod off all you avoiding the issue.
                      Who is yorkman??
                      And is this "hansen" our promising young junior Eric Hansen who is exhibiting this bad behaviour of not finishing games while dead lost?? I believe this yorkman to be an imposter, he should REVEAL himself.
                      Not sure but my chess.com username is erichansen and I haven`t played a game in a long time.

Comment

Coolio, I didn't mean to cast aspersions.

Comment

Working...
                        X