Jim Cairns passes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Cairns passes away

Jim Cairns, long time Kingston Chess player passed away yesterday, aged 87. He had had a routine operation and while in hospital picked up a resistant infection from which he did not recover. He was a remarkable man with a great sense of humour who was playing in the Kingston Chess Club the week before the operation. He was also an active postal chess player until the very end. My condolences to his wife, Pat.

Re: Jim Cairns passes away

Jim was a good friend of mine and an incredible man, respected by all who met him. I'm offering my deep condolences, and a tribute to his chess contributions; a version of this piece will be published by the Kingston Whig-Standard in the coming days.

Jim Cairns: A Great Chess Life

Dr. Jim Cairns, who died recently at age 87, was a professional economist and retired university professor with a doctorate from Baltimore's Johns Hopkins University. He served with distinction at the Royal Military College of Canada for over 30 years, specializing in taxation. Jim will be greatly missed by his many friends in Kingston and Canadian chess, among RMC and Kingston people, and in economists' circles. He was active in club chess until right before his death!

Jim did more for chess in the Kingston area than any other person, during a period of over 50 years. He was a regular contender and strong player throughout his life, and a past (1966) Kingston Whig-Standard City Champion. Jim was well able to give a fierce battle over the 64 squares to anyone, up to and including Master-strength players. Win, lose, or draw, Jim always treated his opponents very courteously, showing the peak of sportsmanship in what is always a nervy, tense activity. What a great example and inspiration he displayed! :)

I've had dozens of hard-fought encounters with Jim, some of which are among my most memorable. Jim defeated me with excellent play in our last serious game, three years ago, an Interclub team match between the Kingston and Queen's University Clubs. He was in his mid-80s, more than 35 years older, and I had a much higher rating. Jim was especially dangerous on the Black side of the Sicilian Dragon, where he had a lot of knowledge and experience. My loss in that game resulted from trying to avoid that deep knowledge! :)

Jim was a terrific leader for decades in the Kingston Chess Club, and contributed greatly to the Club's solid organization, competitive atmosphere, and friendly spirit. He was on the KCC's Executive for over 20 years. Jim was also an avid correspondence chess player, and served on the Executive of the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association. Jim was involved with youth chess instruction and development in Kingston for many years, and generations of young players can thank Jim for passing on his love of chess and vital insights. Jim was honoured for his extensive chess contributions, through an Outstanding Service Award from the Ontario Chess Association. :)

Jim played a major role in the organization and financing when the 1966 Canadian Open Championship came to Kingston, held at Queen's University. That tournament attracted several International Grandmasters to Kingston for the first time, and is still spoken about as being a wonderful event by participants. When I successfully organized the 1992 Canadian Zonal Championship in Kingston, as part of the Sesquicentennial (150th anniversary) Celebrations of Queen's University, Jim hosted all of the top Canadian players and organizers, more than 20 people, at a lovely sunny spring day lunch at the Officers' Mess of the Royal Military College, an elegant, beautiful spot right on Navy Bay of Lake Ontario, and picked up the tab for the entire group!! Jim has been a consistently generous patron for Canadian chess for decades, regularly contributing to the fund supporting the Canadian Olympic Chess teams, among other chess projects. :)

Jim learned chess as a young boy, and kept his keen interest in it for his lifetime. I doubt if Jim had an enemy in the world. He impressed all those privileged to know him with his tough chess, his friendly and classy behaviour, his sharp but gentle wit, and his harmonious, incisive problem-solving skills in all situations. :)

Rest In Peace, My Friend. Jim will have many future chess games awaiting him in Heaven, with the past greats of the Royal Game. :)

Frank Dixon
    Kingston

Comment

May you rest in Peace, Jim!

Comment

Jim was always a true gentleman and competitor. My condolences to his family.

Comment

Working...
        X