Bent Larsen - two times Canadian Open Chess Champion - turns 75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Larsen - two times Canadian Open Chess Champion - turns 75

There are a lot of publication around the world dedicated to the first chess Oscar winner, grandmaster, etc - Bent Larsen (a complete magazine http://www.dsu.dk/skakblad/sb2010/larsen.pdf).
    However, not many memories from Canadians. Fill the gap ;)

---
    should kick E.Malmsten to prepare a display to commemorate Ben's wins 40 (St.John's) and 42 years (Toronto) ago, and his 75 :D

Re: Bent Larsen - two times Canadian Open Chess Champion - turns 75

I think Bent Larsen was in North Bay (Ontario) some time ago as well if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Also:

Co-winner of the 1967 Centennial tournament in Winnipeg

Montreal simul in 1968 - http://news.google.ca/newspapers?id=...q=larsen&hl=en

Third in the 1974 Canadian Open (behind Ljubojevic and Suttles)

Not a great result at Montreal 1979, but co-winner of the brilliancy prize for his victory over Karpov

Comment

I think the only time I saw him play was at my first Canadian Open, in 1970, in St. John's, Newfoundland. He simply ran away with the event, finishing clear first by a whole point (?). I recall Piasetski trying to trick him with an offbeat anti-Dutch variation--it didn't work! I think Walter Browne may have held him to a draw. I was barely an A player back then so had only a poor comprehension of their play. My most vivid memory is probably watching Bent and Walter analysing some rook and pawn ending together before the Open had even begun. There were off by themselves, at a small table. The position seemed to me to be very simplified, but they really could not agree on whether it was a win or a draw. I guess that was when I came to realize that top players were always trying to dig at the truth, and that the task never ends.

Comment

Working...
        X