Combining Chess with Exercise (Tennis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining Chess with Exercise (Tennis)

On another thread, someone said I was comparing chess to tennis (I wasn't, I was comparing the two Canadian federations). But this got my creativity going and....

Late last night I thought of a hybrid tennis / chess game. You start out playing tennis, and at the side of the court is a chess board with the starting position (protected by errant tennis balls by a glass casing, perhaps, with pieces magnetically held to their squares). One of the players is assigned White and the other Black.

Someone has first serve, and keeps serving until one either player takes a 2-point lead (exactly what happens in the deuce situation in regular tennis). To keep it short, maybe if they were tied after 6 serves, have a 7th sudden death point to decide it. Whoever wins gets to make a chess move. Thus the chess game could actually begin with Black moving first.

The serve then switches, score is reset to 0-0, and again, play tennis until either player takes a 2-point lead, or wins the 7th sudden death point. Winner again makes a chess move, even if it's the same player as before. Each of these tennis segments is called a "move game".

There is no keeping track of the tennis score except as described above. The match is decided on the chessboard, using all standard chess rules except that the turn is decided continuously by the tennis, AND if your opponent makes a move that puts your King in check and then wins the next tennis segment to get another move, s/he captures your King and the match is over.

What this means is:

(1) if you are the vastly superior tennis player, you'd have to be pretty bad at chess to lose or draw
    (2) if you are the vastly superior chess player, you'd have to be quite a bit worse (but not necessarily bad) at tennis to lose
    (3) if evenly matched in tennis, chess skills would primarily decide, because the server wins most of the tennis points.

Strategy would involve switching from offense to defense when you get a move back after your opponent got 2 or moves in a row, and vice-versa when you yourself get 2 or more moves in a row.

I propose a name for this new hybrid sport: Racquet Chess.

Perhaps a new starting position, in which each King is much more protected, would be necessary to avoid early 4-move mates. In fact, strategy might include intentionally losing a few tennis segments in a row to lull your opponent into a speculative King hunt, then winning a few tennis segments and decimating your opponent's ill-defended position.

Pawn promotions would probably be more frequent as well. Once you have a pawn that's just 2 squares away and unblocked, you just need win 2 tennis move games in a row.

Of course, this concept isn't limited to combining tennis and chess. Any game in which individual games are always decisive and generally short could be used. You could even play teams, and use 4-player euchre or bridge hands to determine each move, and you and your teammate would jointly decide on strategies and moves.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Re: Combining Chess with Exercise (Tennis)

Didn't really read your post, but I would like to do some chessboxing. I tried to challenge some people in that GPO thread, but it seems that people are as averse to some good-natured violence as they are to keggers... Very disappointing...

Comment

Your idea seems quite interesting!

I remember quite a few years ago there was an exhibition chess and tennis tournament in Europe involving several chess celebrities (Karpov and Spassky if I recall). They didn't combine the two in anyway such as you did, it was more like chess boxing where you play a set of tennis, then a few moves in chess, then another set of tennis, etc.

Maybe there should be a limit to the number of consecutive moves a player can make, otherwise, as you said, a vastly superior tennis player would win hands down, making the chess aspect rather insignificant.

I think maybe the tennis results should impact chess clock times rather than the actual chess moves. Keep the chess game as a regular game, but the winner of the tennis games gets additional clock time in the chess match...

Keep it coming!
      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Fred McKim used to organize chess and tennis tournaments. I can't remember the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
          Your idea seems quite interesting!

I remember quite a few years ago there was an exhibition chess and tennis tournament in Europe involving several chess celebrities (Karpov and Spassky if I recall). They didn't combine the two in anyway such as you did, it was more like chess boxing where you play a set of tennis, then a few moves in chess, then another set of tennis, etc.

Maybe there should be a limit to the number of consecutive moves a player can make, otherwise, as you said, a vastly superior tennis player would win hands down, making the chess aspect rather insignificant.

I think maybe the tennis results should impact chess clock times rather than the actual chess moves. Keep the chess game as a regular game, but the winner of the tennis games gets additional clock time in the chess match...

Keep it coming!
          Glad you like it, Jordan. Anyone could try it out against someone else by just doing something trivial like flipping a coin to decide who gets to make the next move. The idea there is to "randomize" the chess play. You know that flipping a coin is going to even out over say 40 or 50 flips, and sometimes White will get 3 or 4 moves in a row, and sometimes Black will get 3 or 4 moves in a row. The interesting part is, how do you play each move knowing that you possibly might not get to move again for 3 or 4 plies? Some players will be gamblers, others will play it safe.

I hope to keep it coming, I'm also writing up a description of a cross between (LOL) chess and curling. There's no ice or curling rocks or brooms involved, just chess pieces and a chess board, but the rules are changed to simulate the uncertainty of making a curling shot.
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
          X