Windows 7 and Fritz/Rybka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 and Fritz/Rybka

Having just moved to Windows 7, I am encountering serious compatibility problems with Fritz 12 and Deep Rybka 3. The display of variations analyzed is virtually illegible with compression, write-overs, etc. Also, it is notable that the multiprocessor version, Deep Rybka 3, scores exactly the same on the chess benchmark as the single processor Fritz 12 on a 64-bit machine.
    Any suggestions? Advice? Experience?:)

Re: Windows 7 and Fritz/Rybka

I'm running Fritz 12 on the 64-bit version of Windows 7 with no problems. The new engine Firebird 1.1 also runs properly under the Fritz 12 interface.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
      Having just moved to Windows 7, I am encountering serious compatibility problems with Fritz 12 and Deep Rybka 3.
      It's just a suggestion - re-install them if Windows 7 were put on top of the older version.

Comment

The Fritz benchmark program --- used to calculate the speed of your CPU and OS and compare it to an old 1G CPU (like the one that drew Kramnik in Brains in Bahrain, I think) --- is a 32-bit program, and will not show any speed increase on a 64-bit OS.

The closest you can come to comparing them is to choose a position and turn on Rybka and look at the nodes/second number, then do the same thing (with the same position) using your alternate OS and read the nodes/second number there. I found that Rybka3 64 really does go about twice as fast when using my XP64 OS rather than the XP32 OS.

jku

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
          The W7 is OEM but I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Fritz and see if that helps.
          Thanks, John, for the insight into the benchmark. That does make sense.

Comment

Gordon, could it simply be a font problem? Try reinstalling the fonts in the Fritz package.

Comment

OK, so I tried removing and reinstalling all the engines, beginning with Fritz 12. It seems to have a serious compatibilty problem. After finally working through all the steps, now when I start it up and it is supposed to load it goes into an infinite loop.
              Rybka 3 does much better but still makes a mess of the display of its thinking, overwriting until all you have is a smear.
              Any suggestions?

Comment

Hi Gordon:

My suggestion - go buy an abacus.

Bob

Comment

OK, so I tried removing and reinstalling all the engines, beginning with Fritz 12. It seems to have a serious compatibilty problem. After finally working through all the steps, now when I start it up and it is supposed to load it goes into an infinite loop.
                  Rybka 3 does much better but still makes a mess of the display of its thinking, overwriting until all you have is a smear.
                  Any suggestions?
                  Maybe a resolution problem. On a blank part of the screen right click. A box will pop up. Then click on properties. It will pop up another box. Click on settings. You'll see a slider with Screen Resolution. It's probably as far to the right as it will go. Move it back so the number of pixels is less. See if that helps.

The infinite loop problem doesn't sound good.

Anyhow, it's just a long distance guess I'm making.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Tried that. No luck.

Comment

Tried that. No luck.
                      The only other thing which comes to mind is to use system restore and try to go back a few days. On my computer that's in Accessories - System Tools - System Restore. It should put the system back to the way it was on the date you choose. If that's what you decide you want.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
                        The W7 is OEM but I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Fritz and see if that helps.
                        Thanks, John, for the insight into the benchmark. That does make sense.
                        It sounds like it is time to contact the vendor and ask them if it runs under Win7 (giving them details of the version of Win7 your are running and the processor you have). They might have a "service pack" for Fritz - as I recall, they don't tend to notify customers or publicize the patches or workarounds - you have to ask.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Tried that. No luck.
                          One other thing, Gordon... depending on the version of Win7 you have, you may be able to install and use Windows XP Mode
                          (info here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...s-xp-mode.aspx )

Also, if you are running the Windows 7 RC, it expired on March 1st and now:
                          "The Windows 7 RC expires on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, PCs running Windows 7 RC began shutting down every two hours.

If you're still running the RC, your PC will continue shutting down every two hours and your files won't be saved during shutdown. In addition, your wallpaper will change to a solid black background with a persistent message on your desktop. You'll also get periodic notifications that Windows isn't genuine. That means your PC may no longer be able to obtain optional updates or downloads requiring genuine Windows validation.

To avoid interruption, please reinstall a prior version of Windows or move to Windows 7. In either case, you'll need to do a custom (clean) install to replace the RC. As with any clean installation, you'll need to back up your data then reinstall your applications and restore the data."
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Having just moved to Windows 7, I am encountering serious compatibility problems with Fritz 12 and Deep Rybka 3. The display of variations analyzed is virtually illegible with compression, write-overs, etc. Also, it is notable that the multiprocessor version, Deep Rybka 3, scores exactly the same on the chess benchmark as the single processor Fritz 12 on a 64-bit machine.
                            Any suggestions? Advice? Experience?:)
                            May you make a screen print and post it here? One picture's worth a 1k words

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                              I'm running Fritz 12 on the 64-bit version of Windows 7 with no problems. The new engine Firebird 1.1 also runs properly under the Fritz 12 interface.
                              Upgraded to Window 7 Ultimate from Home Vista on the 32-bit version yesterday. Fritz 12 and Deep Rybka 3 ran perfectly fine. Also, the new engine Firebird 1.1 also ran properly under the Fritz/Rybka interfaces. Which Windows 7 version are you using? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e/default.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X