Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Blitz Tournaments??

Hi,

Vlad's blitz tournaments are always fun and social. Not to mention highly competitive. Where else do you see so many strong players play blitz in Canada?
    $27 is fine for its value, you get about 3 hours of speed chess, and I've found that anyone can win some $ back at least 1/3 of the times. So regulars will definitely feel that they're not spending $27 every time.
    Unfortunately my schedule makes it difficult to show up as often as I'd like, but 75% of my free Saturdays I end up there. "Mom's Coffee 'n Things" provides a friendly atmosphere with plenty of natural light and snacks / food options.

Alex F.

Comment

Re: Your Opinion would be appreciated....

It's about the ratings, s*****! {to paraphrase an electioneering slogan :-)}
      Long games are more popular than active because regular ratings are more generally accepted as the 'standard' ratings....in many peoples' minds, 'serious' chess is synonymous with rated chess....when the active ratings get considered 'standard', active time-control will also become the 'standard' time-control

Comment

As far as I know, Game/60 is the fastest time control that can be rated standard. I found this out a few years ago AFTER playing in what I thought was an active-rated G/60tournament... but luckily for me I had also gained a few rating points!

Comment

Scheduling a G/90 Tournament

I suppose a 5 round G/60 in one day is possible:

Rd. Start

1. 9:00 am
          2. 11:15 am

1:15 pm - 2: 15 pm - lunch

3. 2:15 pm
          4. 4:30 pm

6:30 pm - 7:30 pm - dinner

5. 7:30 pm

The day finishes at 9:30 pm.

Is anyone willing to play such a gruelling schedule for over 12 hours of straight chess, with two meal breaks ?

We do play for 13 hours in one day with 40/2 hrs/ SD/1 hr., with one meal break, but this is 5 different games rather than only 2. Does that make a difference?

I think this is an important question because a number of posters have complained that they no longer can commit to a full Fri - Sun weekend tournament. But they would consider playing a one day tournament on the weekend.

Bob
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 9th March, 2010, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Its not just theory. More than 20 years ago in London, Ontario I quietly started 1 hour per game, 4 games per day tournaments because there was a large demand for it. Lunch was only half an hour and the games were over by supper.
            The tournaments were monthly and I did it for 3 years (before the CFC realized that the time controls were too fast) and stopped rating them.
            I am glad to see Steve Demmery in London has started up these tournaments again (in fact they have been going almost 10 years now). They are popular and would be far better attended if they were more publicized and offered better prizes. The example is already in place and a viable option rated under the regular tournament system.

Comment

well, you could always make the time control 61 minutes if you really wanted a CFC rated slow game :-)

The LEM (aka Larry?) used to run mini-tournois in Montreal in the late 70's. People were slotted into 4 player round robins by rating with a 1 hour time control. It worked for some people but I believe attendance was modest.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Hi Paul:

The Toronto results with regualr blitz tournaments are not particularly encouraging. Bayview Games Club ( Vlad Dobrich ) has been holding them every Saturday for months now, and he usually gets less than 10 players out - and it is right on the subway system ( and Toronto is supposed to have lots of chess players ).

I don't think Montreal's experience with them has been all that great either.

So I'm not sure there is much Canadian demand for regular Blitz Tournaments.

Bob
                Blitz is still a very popular type of chess, but why travel and pay money when one can play online for free?

When the TCC and SCC clubs had over 300 members their weekly speed tournaments were from 15-45 players. The recent Canadian Closed and Olympiad fundraiser speed tournments got large turnouts in Toronto. Hart House and Willowdale Chess Clubs have more blitz than CFC rated games. And the Queen/Church chesscorner (presently indoors at the AMC Yonge/Dundas foodcourt) gets 50 speed players daily. I'm disappointed that there hasn't been a recent Toronto Speed Championship, but it is risky without the base of Saturday tournament players.

Comment

Hi Roger:

As I understand it, CFC will rate the G/60 as a regular rated slow game. But no less.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                    In the old days (hmmm...how old is old :) chess tournaments went on for months...in some cases...things like the Montreal Open for example...today...we live in a very fast paced world...news appears as it happens on our T.V. screens...the internet tells us about stuff that happened seconds ago....

So...FIDE and others decided that active chess...fast games...so that the busy player could get his or her chess fix in a day...would be the chess solution...however...reality shows that active chess has never really caught on...

I realize to play a good game of chess, you must spend time analyzing the important positions...but why is it that speed chess is more popular than active chess...

Is there a time control that would better suite the busy man schedule?

Larry
                    The USCF is currently conducting a sruvey of its members regarding schedule of games for weekends tournaments consisting of 4-5 games.

As a memebrs of the USCF, i answered the surveyed based on a travel distance of 100-300 miles, as i play in BUffalo Active frequently.

I want to share the questions but i could no longer o back to the qeustionairre as i have already taken the survey.

But it is interesting to note that the USCF is conducting this survey from its members.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                      As I understand it, CFC will rate the G/60 as a regular rated slow game. But no less.
                      I think, junior tournaments might be with a shorter time control to be rated as regular.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

So...FIDE and others decided that active chess...fast games...so that the busy player could get his or her chess fix in a day...would be the chess solution...however...reality shows that active chess has never really caught on...
                        Reality ? Whose reality ? Here in Montreal the twice a year active tournaments of the Ahuntsic Club has been for the last few years a huge growing success. My reality is that active chess has not caught on WITH ORGANIZERS in Canada. Active chess tournaments like any other chess events need serious organizing to be successful. The Ahuntsic Club people do what is needed to make them successful.
                        Without replacing classical time controls tournaments, active (rapid) chess is quite popular in Europe, in France in particular. I don't see why it should be different here.

Comment

There was no explanation. This is disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                          X