Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Chess by Email

Hello,

I would like to know where do people play chess by email [ADD: or by online correspondance]. If you are playing on a particular site, please tell why. Thanks!

PS: No food fight, please!
    Last edited by Benoit St-Pierre; Friday, 12th March, 2010, 11:27 PM.

Re: Playing Chess by Email

Originally posted by Benoit St-Pierre View Post
    Hello,

I would like to know where do people play chess by email. If you are playing on a particular site, please tell why. Thanks!

PS: No food fight, please!
    I think email chess is pretty much gone. Last I heard the ICCF wasn't organizing these events anymore. The have a chess server online and the interest in email declined. Interestingly, they are still organizing postal events.

One of the email clubs, IECG also stopped, or is in the process of stopping organizing the email events. I don't know why. I think it might have had something to do falling interest in email and with an online chess server. They were a pretty good organization and you might want to google them and have a look.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      I think email chess is pretty much gone. Last I heard the ICCF wasn't organizing these events anymore. The have a chess server online and the interest in email declined. Interestingly, they are still organizing postal events.

One of the email clubs, IECG also stopped, or is in the process of stopping organizing the email events. I don't know why. I think it might have had something to do falling interest in email and with an online chess server. They were a pretty good organization and you might want to google them and have a look.
      I thought you could send your move by email to a server like ICCF. I was thinking about chess the ICCF way. I heard about Scheming Mind too. Are there other sites, where do people play, why?

Comment

A very,very good place to play slow (3-7 days per move) is chess.com

It is free and boasts over a million members of all strengths. Last time I checked there were also 55 000 Canadian members.

The free membership gives you all you would need for simulated correspondence games and a very good graphic interface.

For a few dollars a month there are infinite extra things to do ranging from instructional videos to speed chess. Titled players (NM, FM,IM and GM) get full platinum membership free.

Comment

I thought you could send your move by email to a server like ICCF. I was thinking about chess the ICCF way. I heard about Scheming Mind too. Are there other sites, where do people play, why?
          Scheming Mind is supposed to be good. A chess friend, Austin, owns the server. I don't think they allow chess engines and you might well like it.

If you can send moves to the ICCF server, I don't know how to do it. I login to make my moves.

The only place I'm playing now is the ICCF so don't know much about the other sites.

The CCCA might still organize email events. I don't know as I normally only play international team events when they ask me. I'm sure they have some "no engines" events.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Scheming Mind is supposed to be good. A chess friend, Austin, owns the server. I don't think they allow chess engines and you might well like it.

If you can send moves to the ICCF server, I don't know how to do it. I login to make my moves.

The only place I'm playing now is the ICCF so don't know much about the other sites.

The CCCA might still organize email events. I don't know as I normally only play international team events when they ask me. I'm sure they have some "no engines" events.
            How can any of these sites tell if anyone is using a chess engine? If you happen to make the same moves that a particular engine would make, do they accuse you of using that engine and kick you off the site?
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Do you have to login to be notified if a move has been played?

May I ask why you play there?

Comment

Do you have to login to be notified if a move has been played?

May I ask why you play there?
                The server sends notification by email when a move is made even if you aren't logged in.

I play at the ICCF because that's where the serious events and titles are. It's the correspondence equivalent of FIDE.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                  How can any of these sites tell if anyone is using a chess engine? If you happen to make the same moves that a particular engine would make, do they accuse you of using that engine and kick you off the site?
                  I don't know.

I've often said the first person I ever accuse of using a chess engine to churn moves will be the only one who never did it.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The server sends notification by email when a move is made even if you aren't logged in.

I play at the ICCF because that's where the serious events and titles are. It's the correspondence equivalent of FIDE.
                    Ok. Here's what I will do, then. I'll try Scheming Mind. (I like chess.com's interface, but not its business model.) If it's not to hard to gain the shape back, I'll try ICCF.

Thanks!

Comment

Ok. Here's what I will do, then. I'll try Scheming Mind. (I like chess.com's interface, but not its business model.) If it's not to hard to gain the shape back, I'll try ICCF.

Thanks!
                      I don't know if Scheming Mind asks login questions like where you heard of them. If they do you can put my name if you want. Austin and I sometimes exchange emails.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                      X