Question for TD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for TD's

During a game played with 5 seconds delay, one of the player got down to 5 seconds. In that moment he started playing in stand-up position and hitting the clock a bit harder than he was doing it before. The opponent stop the clock and ask the TD to tell his opponent:
    1) to sit down while playing
    2) to hit the clock with moderation

In the FIDE book I could not find anything against standing and of course the amount of the force you suppose to hit the clock.

Thank you
    Andrei Botez
    ________
    Prilosec Attorneys
    Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:12 AM.

Re: Question for TD's

6.7 c "The players must handle the chess clock properly. It is forbidden to punch it forcibly, to pick it up or to knock it over. Improper clock handling shall be penalised in accordance with Article 13.4."

There is nothing specific about standing, but it would likely fall under

12.6 "It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. This includes unreasonable claims, unreasonable offers of a draw or the introduction of a source of noise into the playing area."

Also keep in mind

"The Laws of Chess cannot cover all possible situations that may arise during a game, nor can they regulate all administrative questions. Where cases are not precisely regulated by an Article of the Laws, it should be possible to reach a correct decision by studying analogous situations which are discussed in the Laws. The Laws assume that arbiters have the necessary competence, sound judgement and absolute objectivity. Too detailed a rule might deprive the arbiter of his freedom of judgement and thus prevent him from finding the solution to a problem dictated by fairness, logic and special factors."

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
      ...The opponent stop the clock and ask the TD to tell his opponent:
      1) to sit down while playing
      2) to hit the clock with moderation

In the FIDE book I could not find anything against standing and of course the amount of the force you suppose to hit the clock.

Thank you
      Andrei Botez
      A TD might consider "12.6 It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. This includes unreasonable claims, unreasonable offers of a draw or the introduction of a source of noise into the playing area."

Standing is not simply to prevent - a small kid might not feel very comfortable to sit on the chair during time trouble. (a standing posture is standard in simuls

Comment

Occasionally I encounter players who prefer to stand during their games. Many opponents find this habit distracting, and some find it even intimidating.

Short periods of standing are okay, particularly when a player is arriving or exiting. But when I notice excessive standing, I simply ask the player to sit down. I don't worry about what FIDE says, I just make it a tournament rule and a matter of good etiquette. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          Occasionally I encounter players who prefer to stand during their games. Many opponents find this habit distracting, and some find it even intimidating.

Short periods of standing are okay, particularly when a player is arriving or exiting. But when I notice excessive standing, I simply ask the player to sit down. I don't worry about what FIDE says, I just make it a tournament rule and a matter of good etiquette. :)
          Hi Bob,

Just wondering, what would happen if there were a "health kick" among the majority of weekend chess players, and they decided it would be best if while they played chess, they also exercised in various manners, such as doing jumping jacks while it wasn't their move? Obviously they don't want to leave the room to do this, and possibly lose time if their opponent moves quickly.

Just playing Devil's Advocate with you!

But seriously, there SHOULD be such a movement among chess players. We could call it "Chessercise". The best way would be to hold chess tournaments at curling clubs and each player could make a move, then shoot a curling rock.

Now, what about the person who is a professional juggler and wants to practice juggling flaming torches while it isn't his turn to move? While blindfolded!

Ok, ok, I guess that's enough!:D
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
          X