Inter-City Matches?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inter-City Matches?!

I recall back in the 70s that there used to be quite an active schedule of matches between, for example, Ottawa and Kingston. Undoubtedly, others had their own rivalries, for example, Edmonton v. Calgary.
    Would there be any interest in resurrecting inter-city matches, using the resource of the internet?
    I can envisage a league involving, say, Ottawa, Montreal, Scarborough, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver, using the facilities of ICC or PlayChess.
    My thinking is that this would stimulate interest in chess across Canada.
    If there were enough interest, I would be pleased to help organize and arrange for a suitable prize or trophy for an annual event.
    Just a thought.:)
    Gordon Ritchie

Re: Inter-City Matches?!

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
    I recall back in the 70s that there used to be quite an active schedule of matches between, for example, Ottawa and Kingston. Undoubtedly, others had their own rivalries, for example, Edmonton v. Calgary.
    Would there be any interest in resurrecting inter-city matches, using the resource of the internet?
    I can envisage a league involving, say, Ottawa, Montreal, Scarborough, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver, using the facilities of ICC or PlayChess.
    If there were enough interest, I would be pleased to help organize and arrange for a suitable prize or trophy for an annual event.
    Gordon Ritchie
    A few years back, when I used to play in ICC, I considered becoming an online TD to help the monthly Actives continue. However, I was just too busy, mostly with work.

Now Gordon, if there is interest in your idea, I would be interested in TDing it on ICC.

See you tomorrow evening.

Comment

The Calgary Chess Club and the Brantford Chess Club just finished a 4 board match over FICS. It went very well (except for the part where Calgary lost) with no problems. We are trying to arrange a match with Edmonton at this time and I hope to include other cities down the road.

Calgary would be interested in this idea.

Comment

The Kanata Chess Club would be interested.

We've been trying to arrange club matches in and around Ottawa lately, but it only worked out once so far, with U of Ottawa. See the website http://www.kanatachessclub.com for some pics from the event.

Anyway, if this is another way to accomplish the same thing, then hooray.

I think the USCL is a neat idea along those same lines (except for those awful, awful names).

Comment

My thinking is that this would stimulate interest in chess across Canada
          Agreed, especially when matches are regular.

p.s. chess.com will start the Ontario intercity team competition :D

Comment

I think that this is an interesting idea and the time is right for it. Recently Calgary and Brantford have done team matches (good work Tony!)
            I grew up with a steady diet of team matches. As a junior I remember masters Peter Murray, Dan Surlan, Ted Durrant, Frank Pushkedra, and Milan Vukadinov providing leadership, cameraderie, and after game analysis (usually with a great meal where pieces grew sticky with dabs of different ethnic foods) After the early 80's when team chess across Ontario had all but died away, it was revived for a few years amongst clubs in London, Ontario with an annual team match down the 401 to Windsor and for all people involved it was a highlight. It would be another great opportunity for chessplayers to bond, share good games and analysis.
            Gordon Ritchie

Comment

Montreal had great team events during the Fischer boom. It was fun visiting other clubs around the city - although snowstorms and lack of transportation sometimes caused problems. It was a challenge to draw up schedules agreeable to all teams.

During the early 1980's the Montreal team events were centralized in the CBC cafeteria (no more home/away visits) - but it was a great place, since it was open 24 hours a day, so food was always available. Too bad 9/11 etc. put an end to this place as a tournament site.

Comment

Gordon Ritchie
                I could round up some chess players for a BC/Vancouver Team.

My questions/comments:
                1. How many players per team?
                2. What is the time control (did I see someone say, "Active" -- 30 mins)?
                3. What rating levels are we looking at?
                4. Would this be done on a monthly basis or ??
                5. ICC sounds like a good place for this to happen.

I know this was first posted as a proposal, but if you could share your vision, perhaps discussion will be stimulated and refinements made, as appropriate.

Thanks for posting this suggestion.

Comment

Tony:
                  As you have obviously done this already with Brantford, can you give us guidance as to how to go about it.
                  Gordon

Comment

Tony:
                    As you have obviously done this already with Brantford, can you give us guidance as to how to go about it.
                    Gordon
                    All we did was arrange for a 4 board match with Brantford. The average rating would not exceed 1800. Boards must be played in order of rating. Both team Captains agreed on a date and time of the match.

The technical aspect was easy. We used FICS since you don't need to purchase a membership. Each player opens a free account and is assigned a handle. We agreed that each team must play from one location and that the Captain at each end would oversee each board to ensure there was no cheating. Of course, being friends with everyone involved made this part very simple. Before each game began, we checked the settings of the interface to make sure you could not receive shouts from anyone except your opponent and that the settings were identical on each computer.

That is basically all we did, and it worked perfectly.

Comment

Nice idea Gordon. I was recently thinking about a post Jean Hebert made regarding our veteran masters vs. our upcoming young players. This would be an awesome match I would watch very closely! Any rivalry match like that could be a real draw, if you need any help big or small you can count on me.

Comment

FIDE started to organize the World Club Cup.
                        http://www.fide.com/index.php?option...alview&aid=668
                        "2.1.1 Three teams per National Federation in which a club team championship is organised with a minimum of 20 GMs. Two teams per National Federation if its club team championship had less that 20 GMs. One team in case the National Federation has no club team championship. All teams entering must be endorsed by the National Federation."

Comment

In the mid 90's Southern Ontario we had the Friendship Chess League
                          Brantford, Kitichener, Waterloo, London, Burford, missing one other club
                          We had decided on 4 board average of about 1800 or so
                          That was great fun

Comment

Yes the average the year I played was 1750.

It was pretty fun since we traveled to each other so you got to meet new people all the time.

I also liked seeing the 2000+ performance rating. Yes I know it was only based on one game but still :)
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Hendon View Post
                              In the mid 90's Southern Ontario we had the Friendship Chess League
                              Brantford, Kitichener, Waterloo, London, Burford, missing one other club
                              We had decided on 4 board average of about 1800 or so
                              That was great fun
                              I remember the Friendship League very well as I was the guy who pushed to create it. It was a SWOCL initiative.

The teams were like you said Lee, except there was no Burford team. London fielded 2 teams, and I think the other team was either Georgetown or Guelph, can't remember, but I do have the records.

Comment

Working...
                              X