Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budapest Spring Festival Open

In the traditioal Budapest Spring Festival Open:
    It's sad sight-74 players. The glory days are over here. (at least the entry fee is relatively low. I paid 9500HUF-about 30 euros)

In the First Saturday Tournaments
    Last month in the IM norm group 1 IM 2370ish, 3 IMs under 2300(!) and you can get a norm. (You can read between the lines-well done you have a paper norm and be a paper IM.)

In the FM-A group where I usually play in March, 9 FIDE rated players 3 unrated players. If you had a rating and played only 8 games would be rating eligable and 3 days hotel etc would have been a waste of money/time.

Think twice before you come.

(PS.There's no air conditioning in the summer and it's really hot)

Michael Yip
    Budapest

Re: First Saturday Entry Fees

The fees here are quite high
    Last year when my rating went below 2050FIDE the EF was 192CAN(140 Euros), up from 120 Euros to play in the FM-A group

Sadly and completely unknown to me, it is possible to bargain over the fees paid. Make sure you polish your haggling skills before agree to any price. I was paying full price as a resident/and regular player when there was another player also living here getting 10% off for playing every tournament. Another foreign player with an apartment here playing occaisionally got 20% off for prepaying 5 months fees in advance.

I was subsequently offered 20% off for 5 months prepayment only when I told the organizer I was not planning to play so much. It's the wild west here, so don't think you're coming to civilization.

Attendance in the RRs is spotty sometimes as the local players don't pay(I've never seen any Hungarian pay fees in my group-but I can't Hungarian so I can't confirm this as fact). As a result they drop out randomly. I suggested to the organizer to take deposits but so far nothing has happened.

The name of the game is 'Gouge the Foreigner'. Food and other prices here remain pretty cheap.

Michael Yip
    Budapest

Comment

Working...
    X