Chess Meet-up groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Meet-up groups

Check this out! There is a chess meet-up group in most cities. These are informal gatherings of chess players who just want to play in a social setting. I would guess the average level of play is about 1400, but anyone interested in promoting chess must not ignore the entry level of most players - ie about 1400.

In Toronto there is a very successful group of about a dozen that meets at Scruffy Murphy's on Eglinton every Tuesday evening. If you support these players now, they will support you a few years down the road:) You can also contact the players individually (up to 12 per day) by email. For Toronto go to>>>> http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Chess/

To find the group in your home town Google: chess meetups <your town>.

So here's your chance to promote chess. Don't wait for the CFC to do it for you! You do it! :)
    Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Tuesday, 30th March, 2010, 09:10 AM.

Re: Chess Meet-up groups

Vlad,

What is your favorite drink?
    A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Creemore lager.
      Is that a non-sequeter or an offer?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
        Creemore lager.
        First one is free, if you coming.

Comment

Creemore lager.
          A man after my own heart. I have fond memories of Creemore. I even made the trip many years ago to visit the brewery before it was purchased by Molsen.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
            A man after my own heart. I have fond memories of Creemore. I even made the trip many years ago to visit the brewery before it was purchased by Molsen.
            I'll second that! A very fine beer indeed. Incidentally, I have not noticed any decline in quality or change in taste since the acquisition by Molson... (I hope that doesn't jinx it)
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

What's wrong with you people?

Can you open separate beer topic.

Vlad, are you coming or not? Last call.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
                What's wrong with you people?

Can you open separate beer topic.

Vlad, are you coming or not? Last call.
                If you are using this forum or topic to talk directly to Vlad,
                you could try email or even the plain old telephone...
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Posts on chesstalk remind me of that exercise we did as kids where you whisper something into someones ear, then they tell the next person and so on down the line. At the end of the line, the person tells everyone what they were told and it is usually something totally different from the original whisper.

Comment

The game called "Broken Telephone".

Comment

Check this out! There is a chess meet-up group in most cities. These are informal gatherings of chess players who just want to play in a social setting. I would guess the average level of play is about 1400, but anyone interested in promoting chess must not ignore the entry level of most players - ie about 1400.

In Toronto there is a very successful group of about a dozen that meets at Scruffy Murphy's on Eglinton every Tuesday evening. If you support these players now, they will support you a few years down the road:) You can also contact the players individually (up to 12 per day) by email. For Toronto go to>>>> http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Chess/

To find the group in your home town Google: chess meetups <your town>.

So here's your chance to promote chess. Don't wait for the CFC to do it for you! You do it! :)
                      Thanks Vlad for this as these are important contacts for organizers and I'm glad this is happening. (the base is growing) As I mentioned last year on chesstalk this is what is needed to grow the chess movement. Now what is needed is tournaments to be organized just for these levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                        Thanks Vlad for this as these are important contacts for organizers and I'm glad this is happening. (the base is growing) As I mentioned last year on chesstalk this is what is needed to grow the chess movement. Now what is needed is tournaments to be organized just for these levels.
                        Thanks Hans,
                        I dropped by at the Scruffy Murphy's site last night and it was very pleasant.
                        There were 10 players ranging down from 1800 level to triple digits. Three ladies were there and all were having a lot of fun! I think adding a tournament format would spoil it for most of them - let them keep having fun!
                        Eventually the better players will be drawn away to more challenging games if that is what they want.
                        By the way, I spoke with one of the staff and asked what would happen if say 30 chess players showed up one night. She said there would be no problem as there is lots of room at the pub. They would set aside a whole section of the place just for the chess players!!:)
                        By the way, did you google your locale for chess meetups?
                        Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Wednesday, 31st March, 2010, 06:32 PM.

Comment

HI Vlad

Do they play with clocks or just casual games? Do they have 15 boards or do we bring our own sets?

Sounds like a place to visit next time I'm in Toronto.

Comment

I was just thinking here is a casual chess club that the GTCL has not listed.
                            How many more have they not found? I think it is time to throw out the old and bring in the new. GTCL EXec that is.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                              HI Vlad

Do they play with clocks or just casual games? Do they have 15 boards or do we bring our own sets?

Sounds like a place to visit next time I'm in Toronto.
                              The host, Kevin, provides a few sets, but they are rather small. Almost all games are played without a clock, but at least one player brought his clock. Best to bring your own equipment. There is a $3 fee for the evening.

Comment

Working...
                              X