Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Woman's Team only IF!!

Hello guys-and-girls-in-the-know,
    Why send a woman's team to the Olympiad in Germany ONLY if we have money?
    One of the opposing (and to me also wrong) views would be : "Why not send a men's team only if we have money!!!!"
    Canada should sent both or none..

Regards

Re: A Woman's Team only IF!!

Because it is not a mens team and a womens team.

The main Olympiad team is open to both men and women. They just choose the strongest players available. If a woman is strong enough, she will play. Hungary's main team once included THREE women (guess which ones).

The Women's team is limited to females only, of course.

Comment

Re: A team by any other name...

Yes ,you are right . But that changes the name of the team only. Canada should send both and Open team and a woman's team or none ,,,every Olympiad. This of course if we have enough players. Does the CFC have a policy on theses teams (training etc.)?

Comment

Never

The CFC should never send a Women's Team. It is a waste of money and perpetuates the idea that women are somehow disadvantaged at the chessboard.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Re: Never

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          The CFC should never send a Women's Team. It is a waste of money and perpetuates the idea that women are somehow disadvantaged at the chessboard.
          It's not a women's team. Under 18 is considered a child.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Not in some Southern States (and other jurisdictions...) :)

All this talk about "Men's team" and "Women's team" is useless. FIDE sets the regulations and the CFC and USCF etc. send teams - end of story. If anyone wants to change the regulations, then they should be lobbying FIDE.

In a perfect world, yes, a "Women's team" should not be necessary because equal opportunities should exist for everyone regardless of gender etc. The reality is that is some countries there are NO opportunities for women/girls/ladies. For example, see the current (China) Olympics where there are several countries with all male teams.

Even if the opportunities here in Canada are equal (of course that is arguable too, but even if you assume it is the case) why should Canadian women be denied the opportunity to send a team and participate just because some people see flaws in the system?
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The art of clear thinking

Look Kerry, it's okay to think rationally, but if you start posting intelligent comments you are going to get yourself banned.

Where's the moderator when we need him?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                Not in some Southern States (and other jurisdictions...) :)

All this talk about "Men's team" and "Women's team" is useless. FIDE sets the regulations and the CFC and USCF etc. send teams - end of story. If anyone wants to change the regulations, then they should be lobbying FIDE.

In a perfect world, yes, a "Women's team" should not be necessary because equal opportunities should exist for everyone regardless of gender etc. The reality is that is some countries there are NO opportunities for women/girls/ladies. For example, see the current (China) Olympics where there are several countries with all male teams.

Even if the opportunities here in Canada are equal (of course that is arguable too, but even if you assume it is the case) why should Canadian women be denied the opportunity to send a team and participate just because some people see flaws in the system?
                I don't care about the regulations. In Canada I think it would be referred to as a female team as my understanding is that under 16 is a child.

I also have no objection to sending such a team as I like to be entertained as much as the next person. If the CFC has the money and can find enough players who want to take a beating for Canada then go for it.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

clear thinking

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                  Where's the moderator when we need him?
                  A moderator isn't needed. I don't see any personal attacks, etc..

Mind you, some of the "arguments" on this thread could stand improvement or a more vigorous rebuttal. But that's a different matter entirely.
                  Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    I don't care about the regulations. In Canada I think it would be referred to as a female team as my understanding is that under 16 is a child.

I also have no objection to sending such a team as I like to be entertained as much as the next person. If the CFC has the money and can find enough players who want to take a beating for Canada then go for it.
                    There is a better term for the women/female under 18 or 16 - a girl. A child could be a boy as well.
                    Do you want to call a national team childish? (The current Canadian champion and a national team member is under 18.)

Comment

CFC has never sent a team to the World Under-16 Olympiad
                      http://www.fide.com/index.php?option...alview&aid=416 , which starts in 5 days, even though there may be more under-16s than women among its membership. The national team is chosen from all members, not just 10% or 3% of them.

From a practical point of view, if you want to see a women's team go, make a pledge for that purpose only. It's been done before. If a bunch of you get together to do the same thing, soon the $6,000 is earmarked and the job is done.

I have not seen the CFC itself reveal whether it is sending a women's team in 2008. The official Olympiad webpage and the blog leave that up in the air. The deadline for submission was July 12th. The Dresden site reveals that Canada is registered, but no indication of National, Women's or both.

Incidentally, a recent New Scientist reveals that brain differences between men and women are far greater than had previously been assumed. Not to say that men are "smarter", that has not been hinted at, but men might be better at this competitive spatial geometry thingie called chess. It was probably "invented by a man"....

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                        It was probably "invented by a man"....
                        Then why does the Queen mate the King? :D

Comment

The CFC is sending a Women's team.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                            Then why does the Queen mate the King? :D
                            Wasn't the Queen a pathetically weak piece until like the 1475 or so?
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

Gary you are just being disrespectful and really you have no idea what you are talking about. Youth are the nation's future and anyone good enough to represent their country deserves some modicum of respect regardless of age or gender.

I'm so tired of your act Gary. Even Valer Demain is fed up with your act. Why don't you get the message and be more positive please ?

Comment

Working...
                              X