Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississauga poised to crack 100!

Mississauga Chess Club was a happening place last night:

Junior club = 72 kids, a new record attendance.:)
    For the adult club is was opening theme night. 15 minute time controls where TD picks an opening for everyone. 23 players including 2 from the junior club.

Attendance for last night = 93 :D:D Well over 100 if you include the parents!

It's not so much if the club will reach 100 players, but when! :D

Who said chess clubs were dying.:)

Re: Mississauga poised to crack 100!

With a such huge number of participants, what you think about the GTCL club competition? Will you join the next season?
    Are you (or other club member) coming to the GTCL annual meeting tomorrow?

During the Toronto Open, I spoke with Bryan Lamb (Scarborough CC), who thinks, that the club now have better conditions and might join the competition. The Hart House club has one eager player (he is not Alex Ferreira) to push the HH CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      With a such huge number of participants, what you think about the GTCL club competition? Will you join the next season?
      Are you (or other club member) coming to the GTCL annual meeting tomorrow?

During the Toronto Open, I spoke with Bryan Lamb (Scarborough CC), who thinks, that the club now have better conditions and might join the competition. The Hart House club has one eager player (he is not Alex Ferreira) to push the HH CC.
      We have tried in the past to field a team in GTCL, but it is very difficult to find players willing to travel eastbound. The traffic is so ugly in Toronto (and admittedly thru Mississsuaga heading east) that I avoid it myself like the plague. Also the majority of the club exec's actually live in SWOCL area, and that only exacerbates the problem.

I will be in Niagara Falls this weekend. I never miss John's tournament, he really puts on a special event. :) But will find some time to talk shop with the SWOCL team.:)

I see you have some constitutional issues on the table at your GTCL meeting. Good luck with that!:)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Mississauga Chess Club was a happening place last night:

Junior club = 72 kids, a new record attendance.:)
        For the adult club is was opening theme night. 15 minute time controls where TD picks an opening for everyone. 23 players including 2 from the junior club.

Attendance for last night = 93 :D:D Well over 100 if you include the parents!

It's not so much if the club will reach 100 players, but when! :D

Who said chess clubs were dying.:)
        Hi Bob,

That is pretty awesome for the Mississauga Chess Club :). Seems very much on par with the Scarborough Club in numbers.
        I agree with you and have been saying it since I got involved in chess around 2004, chess is NOT dying. The players are there, more come than the ones who leave. Okay from what I've seen it's not the 1970s Fischer-Spassky fever and following wave, but it is growing at least compared to a few years ago. Weekend tournament are getting bigger, there's more of them, some clubs start out, junior programs are flourishing beyond my comprehension. We have a lot to look forward to! :D

People who claim chess is dying probably don't play chess themselves, and whine instead of doing something to support it even further. :p

Alex Ferreira

Comment

In the interest of accuracy, junior participation and interest in the greater Toronto area was much greater in the 1997-2001 time period. Things started to go downhill around 2003. I doubt anyone who was part of that time period would consider the current period "flourishing".

Comment

Working...
          X