X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GTCL AGM - Debates Radical Change to Membership

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hey Guys:

What's really important is that I mailed in my entry Thursday !!

Bob
    Great! I'll be passing. I expect to be real sick this summer.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I probably would have voted against the $3.00 as well. Why would anyone want to become a member of an Organization like the GTCL who used to take some of our entry fees to create a building fund and then send the money in the end to Ottawa. If the GTCL had called a meeting of all players and clubs in the GTCL, at that time and asked those players who attended to vote on the distribution of those building fund monies they may have got someone to suggest something. The GTCL did not ask for player support then so how can they expect player support now.
      I hope the Executive changed hands.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
        I probably would have voted against the $3.00 as well. Why would anyone want to become a member of an Organization like the GTCL who used to take some of our entry fees to create a building fund and then send the money in the end to Ottawa. If the GTCL had called a meeting of all players and clubs in the GTCL, at that time and asked those players who attended to vote on the distribution of those building fund monies they may have got someone to suggest something. The GTCL did not ask for player support then so how can they expect player support now.
        I hope the Executive changed hands.
        I don't think any of the present GTCL Executive were part of that Executive who gave away the Building Fund. I certainly would have opposed that action. But I think at that time the GTCL didn't even have enough volunteers to form an executive.

At yesterday's meeting, two people came to make a presentation to set up a charity to fundraise for chess, including a Toronto chess centre.

Comment

Re: GTCL AGM - 2010-11 GTCL Executive

Hi John:

The GTCL Executive was returned, acclaimed:

President – Michael Barron ( returning )
          Vice-President – Ilia Bluvshtein ( returning )
          Secretary – Erik Malmsten ( returning )
          Treasurer – Nicholas Varmazis ( returning )
          Club/Team Coordinator – Egis Zeromskis ( returning )
          Director of Communications – William Yuan ( returning )

Elected as Board Members at Large were: John Chidley-Hill ( returning ), Alex Ferreira ( returning ), and Chris Field ( new ).

There were only 15 people present for the meeting, 5 of whom were the Executive.

Bob
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 11th April, 2010, 08:57 AM.

Comment

building fund

I have been making recent inquiries about the "Building Fund" and the prospect of its return to the GTCL.

First off, it was never under the control of the GTCL. A number of individuals set up the fund, made donations to it, and ultimately decided to hand it over to the Chess Foundation. The $25K currently sits in the Pugi Fund, where it generates interest for use by junior applicants.

I agree that the money should return to Toronto. Even though the founders were disctinct from the GTCL, the league mandated contributions to the fund by GTCL organizers and vendors which meant that players were paying into it. I have been told that contributions from tournaments were much less than the directors' donations but this has not been quantified.

The final local act before handing the money over to the Foundation was to guarantee the prize fund of an international event in Toronto. The event succeeded on its own, (no building fund monies were spent) but the directors were uncomfortable with the idea of doing that again and any perceived abuses that could arise. As opinions began to diverge, parking the money in the Foundation at least preserved the capital.

Comment

Re: GTCL AGM - Revised/ Defeated Constitution ( part 1 )

For those who may be interested, here is the GTCL Constitutional Review Committee's Amended GTCL Constitution ( one Committee member has a dissent on one point ), that got defeated at the recent GTCL AGM on April 10:

Constitution of GTCL ( Proposed )

April 2010 ( Revision # 3 )

Article 1. General Information

1.1. The Greater Toronto Chess League, hereinafter referred to as GTCL, is a non-profit organization.
              1.2. The area of GTCL is defined by the Ontario Chess Association, (OCA). It currently defines the Greater Toronto Area for GTCL purposes as being Toronto, York Region, Simcoe Region, Peel Region, Halton Region and Durham Region.
              1.3. This Constitution includes 10 Articles. It was adopted at the April 2010 GTCL Board Meeting, just prior to the AGM, and was then subsequently ratified by the 2010 GTCL AGM. The previous version was approved at the April 2007 Annual General Meeting and published on the GTCL website.

Article 2. The Objectives

The Objectives of GTCL shall be:
              2.1. To promote interest and participation in chess at all levels for the purpose of increasing the popularity of the game.
              2.2. To co-ordinate and harmonize chess activities in the league area.
              2.3. To be the sanctioning and administrative body for the annual organization of the Chess events and tournaments, as listed in By-law #1.
              2.4. To aid and co-operate with other chess organizations whose interest is to promote chess in this region.

Article 3. The Membership

3.1 Individuals may join the GTCL as members provided:
              a) they live or work in the GTA, as defined in this Constitution;
              b) they actively play chess in clubs, tournaments, on-line, or casually;
              c) they are members in good standing of the Chess Federation of Canada ( CFC ), or they have paid an annual membership fee equivalent to the rebate per member given to the GTCL by the O.C.A., currently $ 3.
              3.2 The members shall elect the Executive of the GTCL at the Annual General Meeting ( AGM ), and shall vote on such motions as have been referred to the AGM, or any special general meeting of members, by the Board of the GTCL.
              3.3 A goal of the members shall be to help the GTCL realize the implementation of its objectives, and in particular chess promotion in the GTA.

Article 4. The Board

4.1. Board Composition - The Board consists of the following:
              a) The GTCL Executive ( 6 positions ), elected at the Annual General Meeting of the League;
              b) Accredited club representatives;
              c) Accredited chess Organization representatives; and
              d) Three at large members.
              4.2 Chess Clubs, which have regularly scheduled meetings and Chess Organizations operating in the GTCL area, may propose a representative as a member of the Board, when authorized by the club/organization executive. The term of office shall run from the date the Board accepts credentials (presented in person by the nominee) till the next following Annual Meeting of the League. The Board may establish conditions under which a Club may nominate more than one representative.
              4.3 The three at large members shall be appointed by the executive at the Annual General Meeting from among applicants, who are GTCL members. They shall not be current executive nor accredited club/chess organization representatives. The term of office runs from the incoming Annual General Meeting to the next outgoing Annual General Meeting.
              4.4 The Board shall make all major decisions concerning the running of the GTCL. The Executive, where possible, will make recommendations to the board with respect to major decisions.
              4.5 Conduct of Board Meetings
              a) Quorum for a meeting is three executive members of which one shall be the President or Vice-P resident, and one non-executive board member.
              b) The Board shall hold at least three meetings per year : the incoming Board Meeting after the AGM that elected them; a Board meeting approximately half way through the year; and the outgoing Board meeting prior to the following AGM.
              c) Any GTCL member may attend a GTCL Board Meeting.
              d) Non–Board members of the GTCL may address the meeting at the invitation of the chair but shall have no vote.
              e) Non-Board members of the GTCL shall be given the opportunity to speak on all matters appearing on the GTCL agenda, and any additional matters regarding GTCL business.
              f) The public may attend GTCL Board Meetings, but shall not address the meeting unless at the invitation of the chair, and shall have no vote.
              g) At Board Meetings the President has a vote plus a second tie- breaking vote when required.
              h) The Board will deal with motions as follows:
              I ) the Board can refer any regular motions to the Annual General Meeting, or any special general meeting, although it is preferable generally for the Board to deal with them;
              II ) the Board must decide all constitutional amendment motions, and cannot just refer them to the AGM or any special general meeting.
              i) The Board shall have the power to amend the Constitution temporarily, provided that the notification of proposed amendments is presented to the members of the Board at a previous meeting or by e-mail at least one week before the vote. Any motions which are constitutional amendments must have two-thirds majority of the votes cast to pass, and must later be ratified at the Annual General Meeting.
              j) A Board Meeting could be conducted by e-mail, including the entire process of making/seconding a Motion, debating and finally voting on the Motion

Article 5. The Executive

5.1. The officers of GTCL, constituting the Executive shall be: President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, Director of Communications, and Club / Team Coordinator.
              5.2. The Executive shall conduct the affairs of the League between Annual General Meetings, and make all day-to-day operational decisions.
              5.3. The term of office shall be approximately one year (between Annual General Meetings of the League).

Continued in next post
              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 11th April, 2010, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Re: GTCL AGM - Revised/ Defeated Constitution ( part 2 )

Continuation of Proposed/Defeated GTCL Constitution

Article 6. Duties of the Executive

6.1. The duties of the President shall be:
                a) To give leadership and to administer within the laws of this constitution, the affairs of GTCL.
                b) To act as the Chairman at all meetings of the Board and Executive.
                c) To convene all meetings of the Board, the Executive and the Annual Meeting.
                6.2. The duties of the Vice-President shall be:
                a) To assist the President in the discharge of his duties, whenever requested by the President.
                b) The Vice-President shall be the first Acting President.
                6.3. The duties of the Treasurer shall be:
                To budget the finances and prepare and present a financial statement on a quarterly basis and at the Annual Meeting.
                6.4. The duties of the Secretary shall be:
                a) To record the minutes of all meetings, including all decisions, and :
                i) for the Executive Meetings – distribute the minutes to the Board;
                ii) for the Board Meetings – post the minutes on the GTCL Website; and
                iii) for the Annual General Meeting – post the minutes on the GTCL Website.
                6.5. The duties of the Director of Communications shall be:
                a) To maintain an up-to-date list of all clubs/ chess organizations, with addresses and contact information, within the GTA, both those with representatives on the Board, and those without. It shall note which clubs/organizations have a representative on the Board.
                b) To communicate with the Chess Clubs, other Chess Organizations and public on GTCL matters.
                c) To maintain the GTCL website.
                6.6. The duties of the Club / Team Coordinator shall be:
                a) To organize the Greater Toronto Chess League Team Competitions annually.
                b) To hold GTCL team events on a regular basis.
                c) To maintain and distribute results of all GTCL team events.

Article 7. Financial Structure

7.1. GTCL is one of the member organizations in the Ontario Chess Association.
                7.2. GTCL is funded by proceeds from the collection of OCA dues, non-CFC GTCL membership dues, rebates from CFC memberships collected in GTCL sanctioned tournaments, sponsorship and donations.
                7.3. Neither the Board of the GTCL, including the Executive members, shall be paid by the organization.

Article 8. The Annual General Meeting

8.1. All GTCL members in good standing may attend this meeting.
                8.2 All GTCL members in good standing shall be able to nominate for, stand for, and vote in the election of executive members, which shall be held at the Annual General Meeting. The election of the executive shall be by secret ballot.
                8.3 All GTCL members in good standing shall also be entitled to vote on any motions referred to the Annual General Meeting by the Board.
                8.4 Once the Executive have been elected, they shall then appoint the three Board members at large, and make a decision on all applications by club/organization representatives for accreditation to the Board.
                8.5 The Annual General Meeting shall be held within two months of the end of the fiscal year. The GTCL fiscal year is from April 1 to March 31.
                8.6. Notification of the meeting shall be published on the GTCL Website at least three weeks prior to the meeting. It shall include the text of all motions, noting which ones are constitutional amendments and that they will require a two-thirds majority. Also, e-mail notice of the meeting shall be sent to all GTCL members, and it shall notify them as well that all motions to be dealt with are published on the GTCL Website.
                8.7. A quorum at the Annual General Meeting shall consist of seven members, of whom at least three should be members of the Outgoing Executive.
                8.8. The executive members of GTCL shall present a report of their activities during the year.
                8.9. Amendments to the Constitution, previously approved at a regular Board Meeting, must be ratified at the Annual General Meeting, by two-thirds majority of the votes cast. Notice of these motions shall be posted on the CFC Website 3 weeks before the Annual General Meeting, and the notice of meeting shall note that these motions are on the GTCL Website.
                8.10 Amendments to the Constitution, previously rejected by the Board, may be brought by a GTCL Board member, and voted on, at the Annual General Meeting, provided that a notice of motion has been presented to the Secretary or President at least 30 days prior to the Annual General Meeting. The posting and notice of such motions shall be dealt with in the same way as for constitutional amendments requiring AGM ratification.
                8.11 Only the GTCL members who are also CFC members in good standing, shall stand for, nominate and elect the CFC governors for the GTCL, and the OCA Governors for the GTCL, pursuant to the OCA Constitution/Bylaws. The election shall be by secret weighted ballot.

Article 9. Proxies

9.1. A proxy is valid, if signed by the grantor and witnessed by someone, other than the grantee or grantor.
                9.2. At Board Meetings a maximum of two votes (self vote plus discretionary proxy vote) may be cast by any individual. At Annual General Meetings a maximum of three votes (self and two discretionary proxies, or three discretionary proxies) may be cast by any individual. Directed proxies (i.e. calling for a particular opinion on a particular issue) are passed to the Secretary and voted by the Secretary.
                9.3. Whether a proxy may be voted or not, the grantee may express the views of the grantor.

Article 10. Amendments and By-laws

10.1. The Board shall have the power to amend the constitution as set out above, to be ratified by the GTCL members at the Annual General Meeting, as set out above.
                10.2. The Executive may, whenever required, create and/or amend specific by-laws, which will define the GTCL’s policy in handling specific issues. These by-laws, (which cannot contravene any Article of the Constitution), become effective upon approval by a simple majority of the Executive, but require ratification at the next Board meeting, and final ratification at the next AGM.

GTCL Constitution Last Updated April 2010.

Hope this may be of some use if other groups are reviewing their own constitutions.

Bob
                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 11th April, 2010, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                  I don't think any of the present GTCL Executive were part of that Executive who gave away the Building Fund. I certainly would have opposed that action. But I think at that time the GTCL didn't even have enough volunteers to form an executive.

At yesterday's meeting, two people came to make a presentation to set up a charity to fundraise for chess, including a Toronto chess centre.
                  The CFC ended up with the building fund but in the long run it appears to me they have gained little. While it appears there is now some rebuilding taking place, activity seemed to drop off after that fiasco. Personally, I think the goverment should take a good hard look at the CFC to see if they still meet the criteria for my taxes supporting charitible donation status for them.

Possibly you recall the setup at the club some decades ago. We used to quote membership fees including CFC membership. If a person was already a member we would deduct that amount form the membership. I doubt I could get away with that kind of model these days.

The correspondence club made some deal with the CFC. I forget exactly how it went and what we got in return. Anyhow, I used to charge CCCA members who were not CFC members a small amount and we passed it on to the CFC. It was probably less than 1 dollar but that was the 1970's. Probably that has long gone the way of the Dodo bird.

When I feel like playing chess at 2 AM, I don't wonder where I can find a CFC rated event. I head for the internet.

I used to think the CFC should build a server but have changed my mind. I doubt they have any idea how to use one to their advantage for increasing the membership and promoting chess.

Probably a good indicator of interest in chess in this area will be the Canadian Open. Is this being run by the GTCL?
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Is this being run by the GTCL?
                    Officially tournament is organized by the GTCL (see the flyer - ORGANIZERS: Greater Toronto Chess League) Part of the people involved in organizing the tournament are GTCL execs.

What are reasons you are passing this tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      What are reasons you are passing this tournament?
                      I've been told I'll soon need more Chemo. It's been 3 years since I last finished so that's not too bad.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Well if anyone wants a preview of the next year's Executive participation in Fostering and promoting chess you can find it in the scrap bin under Nothing done.

Comment

Well if anyone wants a preview of the next year's Executive participation in Fostering and promoting chess you can find it in the scrap bin under Nothing done.
                          Do you mean the Canadian Open goes as well?

Comment

The GTCL is not running the CDN OPEN

Comment

The GTCL is not running the CDN OPEN
                              Why do you think so? (I think we are talking only about the 2010 Canadian Open)

Comment

I have no idea what so ever what you are talking about.

If the GTCL executive has not changed then how do you expect them to do any more than they did for several years. Humans are creatures of habits so why do you think an old dog will learn new tricks?

Comment

Working...
                                X