A beautiful study by Canada's Steve Laughlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A beautiful study by Canada's Steve Laughlin

Here is a sample of the quality of composition produced by Steve Laughlin of Toronto. Steve has finished another book that I will convert to a PDF file complete with full colour coded solutions. Contact me for more info.

White to play and win.

Hint: Fritz has a lot of problem with this one (it's too deep)

Re: A beautiful study by Canada's Steve Laughlin

For me, my solution is too long.
    1 Kd2 Kb2
    2 Qa1 Ka1 (still need to find something good for Kb3!? Qc3 Kc2...)
    3 Kc1 and trying to mate with Ke1-c2X, but some variations go upto moving the h4 pawn to h8 Qx :)

Comment

Without thoroughly analyzing the postion, the theme seems to be to stalemate the Black K, and mate it with the N - e.g.
      start with 1. Kd2+ Kb2 2. Qxa1+ Kxa1 3. Kc1 Bh7 (to stop Ne1-c2 mate) 4. Ne1 Bxd3 5. Nxd3 Ra anywhere (if Rb5, take it). Ne1, followed by Nc2 mate. Am I missing anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Without thoroughly analyzing the postion, the theme seems to be to stalemate the Black K, and mate it with the N - e.g.
        start with 1. Kd2+ Kb2 2. Qxa1+ Kxa1 3. Kc1 Bh7 (to stop Ne1-c2 mate) 4. Ne1 Bxd3 5. Nxd3 Ra anywhere (if Rb5, take it). Ne1, followed by Nc2 mate. Am I missing anything?
        Nc2 mate can be avoided :D
        Ra not anywhere but Ra4 Ne1 and Rc4+ Nc2+ (not mate!!!) and then goes my idea with h8Q (again not mate!!!) as Black pushes a pawn to c3 (where it is blocked but blocks check as well). Thus final move with mate Qc3x :) Here could be B as well spoiling the solution (?)

Solution confirmed with Rybka 2.2n2. Fritz 11 have not found...
        Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Sunday, 10th August, 2008, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Hi Hugh,

Yes, but I think you should mention the continuation after 1. Kd2+ Kb2 2. Qxa1+ Kxa1 3. Kc1 Bh7 (to stop Ne1-c2 mate) 4. Ne1 Bxd3 5. Nxd3.........5....Rxa4 with the idea to give up the Rook for the Knight. 6.Ne1 Rxc4+ 7.Nc2+ Rxc2+
          The remainder is the funny part.
          Still I give you 9.5/10 ....deduction for form.

Comment

Your comment about the under promotion is alert. I don't think studies are flawed by such things. If I posted the diagram as a Mate in 15! everything would be spoiled.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Evans View Post
              Your comment about the under promotion is alert. I don't think studies are flawed by such things. If I posted the diagram as a Mate in 15! everything would be spoiled.
              That why I putted a question mark (?) The move is not a final one.

P.S.
              Fritz 11 still searching (~20min) vs 1 min with Rybka :)

Comment

Working...
              X