X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHESS: Here and There!

Fedor Bogatyrchuk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedor_Bogatyrchuk):

Fedor settled in Canada in 1948. His record with Botvinik before WW2 was
    +3=1-0!:D He thought that Botvinnik was not gifted and to prove it would tell
    this story:

In 1935 Moscow International tournament Botvinnik, Capablanca and Salo Flohr,were fighting for first place. During a break (adjourned games would be played after 2 hours of play) Capablanca came to Fedor and offered his services. Fedor quickly setup adjourned position. Capablanca looked at it for 10 seconds and said: "It is very dangerous to play for a win in this position, but a draw can be accomplished this way: king here, pawns you place here and here... etc." and showed Fedor how to setup his pieces. Analysis came to the end, and Fedor decided to rest, but was distracted by Botvinnik, Ragozin and other masters from St. Petersburg:
    - So Fedor, you planning to win against Flohr?
    - How? Capa said it is a draw!
    - Capa, Capa! Everything is forced here!
    They started to show me variations here, said Fedor. Every line we tried is a win for Fedor, basically everywhere is a win. Fedor was convinced and tried, how Bortvinnik and his team suggested. Fedor lost, because there was a hole in the analysis. I was sweating at the board in lost position. Capa came, quickly, looked at my position and said: - "I told you that you cant play for a win in this position!", and left.

Vasily Smyslov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Smyslov), who passed away recently tell same story but differently:

In 1935 International tournament there was a 2 hour break. Soviet players were analyzing an adjourned position. They were looking for a win against Flohr, who at that time was fighting for first place. Capablanca was passing by and they asked him: "Maestro, what do you think should be played here?" Capablanca 's quickly looked at the position, because he was a real gentlemen, and showed maneuver: bring a king from one flank to another - draw! Soviet masters shrugged their shoulders and continued to look for a win against Flohr. At the end - master who suppose to play an adjourned game lost. Capablanca plan was the only way to save this game. He had a quick intuition for endgames.

PICTURE OF THE WEEK :D:

Re: CHESS: Here and There!

Hi everyone!

I hope your weekend was great. Here is another story I would love to share
    with you.

This happened around 1994-1995. IGM Alexei Bezgodov travelled across Europe playing chess tournaments. You may know him from the book he published in 2004 'Challenging the Sicilian with a3!?'. Here is a link: http://www.chessville.com/reviews/Ch...ianWith2a3.htm. At this,
    if I recall correctly he was in Yugoslavia. He registered for a tournament
    and still had some money left. Alexei was a very strong blitz player and he decided to make some money playing blitz players in a park. He saw one guy with a cap sitting by him. He could not see his face, because of face was covered with beard and moustache. He offered him to play for certain amount of money. I don't remember how much, I think it was in Euros. Blitz hustler said he would only play if we triple the stakes. Alexei agreed with pleasure, thinking its easy money. They started playing. After 10 blitz games
    Alexei was standing 9 loses and 1 draw. One of Alexei's friends, who lived in Yugoslavia, was passing through the park at the time. He recognized him. He came over and asked Alex what he is doing in the park. Alex replied he was trying to make some money by playing blitz for money, but things are not going very good. His friend looked at him with a smile and replied: "If you want to make money, why are you playing Fisher!":D

Have a great day.:)

Comment

Misha,

Do you really believe in this bullshit or you invented this story on the fly?
      A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Hi Ernest,

I do believe this story, since it came from very reliable source. I may not have gotten all the details right, since I heard it only once. I didn't find it on some website. I do trust a source from which it comes from. I also believe the story, because it fits Fisher personality. Fisher was a very strong blitz player, even great Tal could not stop him in 1970, who was 1988 World Blitz champion in Saint John, Canada. This is in same blitz tournament where great
        Garry Kasparov participated. Even in 1990 Mikhail Tal beat great Garry in Moscow Blitz invitational tournament. There is a video, where Kasparov says
        talks about this particular game. He said that he could not do anything against great Magician from Riga: 'It's like I was hypnotized.' Too bad this video in only in Russian. Fisher was a monster in blitz and could easily destroy regular GMs in blitz, and we know how he enjoyed beating Russians at this game. :D

Comment

1. Yue Wang: 'Common Boris. This is obvious!'. Game ended in a draw.

2. Seems like Chucky and Ian Nepomniachtchi don't like their positions.
          I prefer black.:D Game ended in a draw.

3. Grishuk: 'Who says Poisoned pawn is refuted. Look I am playing it
          against Chuky himself!'. Alex lost. :(

4. Things are heating up between this two, and it's only move 5! :D

5. Teacher congratulating his student on a job well done. Both are happy
          campers. :)

Have a great weekend everyone! :D

Comment

Working...
          X